K1100LT - Crankcase Breather Hose

nicholsonj2252

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Thought this might be useful for anyone with a flying brick.....

Riding back from Whitby on the last hour of a 4 hour round trip I was getting a strong smell of "burning oil" from the bike

After I had cleaned the bike I decided to try and find out what the problem was

Very quickly I discovered that the rear crankcase breather hose from the engine to the airbox had a small split in it and there was evidence of oil residue in the area around it

To get to it involved removing the petrol tank , side panels , crash bars , inner fairings trim panels , lower LH & RH fairing sections , radiator cowel , air filter , upper and lower air filter box sections

The crankcase breather hose itself attaches to a spigot on the engine with a jubilee clip , passes through an access hole on the side of the airbox and then fastens inside the airbox with an Oetiker clamp

One removed the hose didn't just have the small split I had originally seen but was almost completely detached at the ninety degree bend where is attaches to the engine spigot

I also noticed some oil misting on the throttle body vacum pipe and although it was not split the rubber had hardened and shrunk to the point where the clamps that hold it onto each of the throttle bodies were all loose and the pipe could be easily pulled off

So a new crankcase breather hose needs to go on order and I will fit a new throttle body vacum pipe which I already have

Whilst I was in there I renewed all of the fuel injector O rings and also gave the front engine casings a good clean and fitted stainless steel bolts , the paintwork was in remarkably good condition for a 22 year old bike !

Breather tube

A job well done and definitely well worth doing!
I am surprised you haven’t experienced rough and fast idling as this vapour from the crankcase is basically unmetered as it joins the plenum after the mass air flow meter.
I performed this job on my K75s, at the same time I replaced all rubber hoses on the fuel air side of the engine, and replaced all the coolant hoses with Samco silicon.
She runs like a Patek Phillipe now. Excellent underrated bikes. Enjoy :okay

A job well done and definitely well worth doing!
I am surprised you haven’t experienced rough and fast idling as this vapour from the crankcase is basically unmetered as it joins the plenum after the mass air flow meter.
I performed this job on my K75s, at the same time I replaced all rubber hoses on the fuel air side of the engine, and replaced all the coolant hoses with Samco silicon.
She runs like a Patek Phillipe now. Excellent underrated bikes. Enjoy :okay

It was running slightly fast and rich , but remember there is no Mass Air Flow Meter on the later 16V engines

I have a 1992 k1100 LT and am shortly to replace the usual cracked exhaust system ( I managed to find full system from Sherlock's).
I'll examine this system of pipes etc whilst the old girl is in the shed. She is getting rather smelly and running lumpy. Thanks :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom