Street Scrambler for Triumph Noob...

gabriel_gs

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So I'm thinking of selling the GSA and getting a Street Scrambler.

I've never ridden a Triumph before... thoughts on them?

I want something retro, fun to ride, easy to leave dirty and good looking.

I've had an R nine T Scrambler before which I likle too, but looking a the more uright riding position

Any owners that can share their thoughts?

I'd be interested in opinions/experience of the difference or preferences between the Street Scrambler and Scrambler 1200 XC (not the XE)

More power xc model also new tft, I chopped my gs in for the XE model and I must say not disappointed at all,
Have a test on both models you will then know if they are right for you,
I don't do mass mileage anymore so Scrambler ideal for my needs now..

Cool thanks.

I've got a test ride on the Street Scrambler at least booked tomorrow and I'll see the other models too (not sure if they're availabel to ride tomorrow).

I thought I might be doing bigger miles and more London commutes but that's not the case and really I only use the bike to 10m or less local trips, so I just don't need the big GSA and want something more fun to ride and nice to look at :)

I've had an R-Nine T Scrambler and a water cooled GS & GSA but now own a Scrambler 1200XC

The Triumph is a great bike. I went for the XC because I'm a short arse. I've ridden pretty much all of the Triumph range (including the Street Scrambler) and have to say that the 1200 Scrambler & Speed Twin are the best of the bunch :thumb

20200519-162450.jpg

Mine's got a few genuine Triumph accessories fitted such as heated grips, flyscreen, handguards, Mini LED indicators, front fender extender, handlebar risers etc along with TEC mirrors and TEC tail tidy :thumb

From stock they have lots of nice stuff as standard such as cruise control, LED lights, Brembo Stylema calipers and a nice little multi function LCD speedo

The bike handles really well considering the 21 inch front wheel and returns around 65mpg even when not hanging around

The downsides for me are the seat is a bit unforgiving and the exhaust header does get a tad hot in the heat of summer but is quite nice when riding around during this time of year :D

If you are considering a Street Scrambler I would suggest you ride one back to back with a 1200 XC. Coming from a 1200 BMW I think you will find the Street Scrambler lacking in every dept from engine power to braking. I'm not saying the Street Scrambler is a bad bike. In fact. It's a brilliant bike when compared to a Royal Enfield Interceptor. It's just nowhere near as good as the 1200 XC

New there is a £2500 difference between the Street Scrambler and the XC but I reckon a new XC would have to be another £1500 more to make the saving in buying a Street Scrambler worth it and when you start looking at the used prices of XC's it makes the decision IMO even easier :D

That's really useful, thanks.

Budget will be a factor - I want to keep back £2k between selling my GSA and buying a Scrambler, so if I get my £12k for the GSA I'll have £10k for the Scrambler, for example.

That should be easily doable :thumby:

I have a mate with a 2021 Speed Twin which he has offered me first dibs on. If I can swing a deal with him the XC will be going to fund the Speedy

My XC as is in the photo (4250 miles) will come with a fresh MOT & dealer service from Triumph Oxford

I will be looking for £8950 for it if you're interested ? ;)

From stock they have lots of nice stuff as standard such as cruise control, LED lights, Brembo Stylema calipers and a nice little multi function LCD speedo

The bike handles really well considering the 21 inch front wheel and returns around 65mpg even when not hanging around

The downsides for me are the seat is a bit unforgiving and the exhaust header does get a tad hot in the heat of summer but is quite nice when riding around during this time of year :D

If you are considering a Street Scrambler I would suggest you ride one back to back with a 1200 XC. Coming from a 1200 BMW I think you will find the Street Scrambler lacking in every dept from engine power to braking. I'm not saying the Street Scrambler is a bad bike. In fact. It's a brilliant bike when compared to a Royal Enfield Interceptor. It's just nowhere near as good as the 1200 XC

I swapped my GS for a Scrambler 1200 XC. I suspect the kit fitted to the 1200 Scrambler is rather better than the Street Scrambler's.

It certainly is in every area

When you stand the XC next to a Street Scrambler, then look at them both in detail & spec, it's not very difficult to justify the XC's £2500 plus price tag over the Street. In fact. The Street Scrambler makes the XC look like a bargain :D

I tested a Street Scrambler and I’d say it’s a nice bike for gentle riding on decent roads. The suspension doesn’t give a particularly comfortable ride and the engine has to be worked hard to make decent progress. Having owned a hexhead GS I’m sure the R9T would be very different to the Triumph, having about twice the power, and a much better all round bike however it’s not, IMHO, in the same league as a Street Scrambler if you want a modern retro.

I had a street scrambler…….. it lasted 800 miles…… it was like riding a 400 Honda Superdream…..underpowered, crap suspension……..I traded up to a 1200 XE………WOW…… the bike it should always have been…… a fantastic machine…..

I am though fickle and I have since passed ownership to a gent from here enabling me to buy a 114 Low Rider S…………get in..

Hmm… sounds like I’ll want the look of the Street Scrambler but the spec of the XC ;)

My only issue with my XE was with the instruments, (same on XE) I just found them too small to view easily, and not particularly intuitive to use. I think they are classed as TFT but the colours seemed pale and washed out. I do like a good display, the GS TFT is by far the best I’ve encountered so far.

Wow... so as suggested above, the Street Scrambler wasn't right.

Very 'cute' but way too small and lacked 'oomph'

The XC on the other hand... lovely. Taller, bigger, gutsier... I was grinning all along the test ride.

Already on the hunt for one :)

Hi mate
Have a look at cmc chesterfield they have a couple of 21 plate xc for £10699.
May be worth a look..

Thanks for the heads-up, but that's beyond my budget :)

Scrambler bought!

Massive thanks to Nice ' Fat - what a gent.

Bike is awesome. Wi'll post pics once I've tinkered with it :)

Back
Top Bottom