Gael back in Africa.

Looks like a great trip and glad you have arrived in Namibia safe and sound. My wife and I have travelled extensively in Namibia etc and are both very jealous you are doing it on a bike rather than our safe way in a 4x4. Fish River canyon is stunning and the ride up the country to access the Caprivi Strip and Botswana will be awesome. Watch out for migrating elephants though.
We will both be following with interest, safe travels.

This thread is a shining beacon in the midst of lots of darkness. Lots of pics pls

Well, she didn't disappoint in the flesh. This section, in fact most of the day, has a health warning for the non technical. Tommy wheeled her in and gave me space to work. He got one of the younger mechanics to take the battery out and give it a boost and this guy was going to be my helper. The bike looked fine but I didn't really take her in fully at this stage, as I had lots of bits to fit to her. I unpacked the suitcase that came with me in the taxi, and also set down the topbox. I extracted the pannier frames from the Magadan panniers, separated out the various packs of bolts and spacers and began to read the instructions, for the first time.

I'm not sure if Tommy was curious or if he feared I'd take up valuable space in his workshop for days, or, as I prefer to believe, he's a naturally helpful guy, so he soon came over and joined in the reading. The issue was what order did the parts get assembled, but with 2 of us at it, we soon figured it out and made good progress. Once the path was clear Tommy would step back and allow me to screw it all together. If I got stuck or needed a tool he'd be there. Pretty soon we had a rear carrier sporting a topbox and a set of pannier frames. The Happy Trail kit is quite impressive and Tommy commented on the quality.

The bike with the luggage kit fitted and Tommy looking at our next challenge.20220117_113248.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

The day progressed in the same fashion, fitting a taller screen, mounting a GPS holder, a USB socket, Sieben horn and LED bulb. When the bulb was fitted it had to be tested so, with the battery refreshed, this meant starting the bike. It started easily and settled to a purr of a tickover, what a lovely sound, and the headlight worked. One little delight of looking around the bike, was finding the original tool kit tucked under a panel. It looked as it had never been opened or used.20220117_113033.jpg20220117_113127.jpg

Next I attached the Touratech retainer and petrol can on the pannier frame. Then the bar risers and this involved a bit of rerouting of the front brake hose and front brake cable. 20220117_123909.jpg

I think it was around this time I'd thrown my leg over the bike and was surprised how high it was. Tommy looked at the suspension and saw it was set on the maximum height, which was good news for me. I then spent more than an hour with a drift and hammer, turning the reluctant shock adjuster nut. When finished, the height was more acceptable and when I have the excessive padding removed from the seat, it will be fine.

I'd been so engrossed in the work that I'd not kept track of time and then I noticed the mechanics putting their stuff away, it was going home time. I quickly packed up, Tommy offered to drop my empty case off and I rode the bike back to my flat. This was a 5vminute ride in traffic but It rides well, the suspension is soft and certainly more power than my EN125. Its locked up downstairs under a cover, with a security guard next to it and I trust it will be there in the morning.20220117_192414.jpg20220117_192458.jpg20220117_194607.jpg

This was a very satisfying day. It was great to get so many parts fitted and find they suited the bike. Tommy was helpful, easy company and it was a relaxing environment to work in. So next priority is reducing the foam in the seat and to progress with registration. I'm meeting the previous owner in the morning to get the rest of the bike papers which will be needed for registration. Am tired tonight but not as spaced out as yesterday, so adjusting to the surroundings.

Looking good, you could drop the yokes down the forks to lower it a bit.

Don't you just love it when your draft text disappears...

So today started with me popping down to see that the bike was still there, safe under it's cover. It's not in a locked carpark but has a guard sitting next to it, 24 hours. It benefited from the cover too, as there clearly had been heavy rain during the night. My first task was to meet the previous owner for a handover of bike documents and for me to pay the monies for insurance etc. When they left the cafe, I had a relaxing cooked fried breakfast, how civilised!

Now I don't normally post a picture of a urinal but coming across one full of ice cubes, was a new and puzzling experience.20220118_095352.jpg

Then I was off to the dealer, riding my own motorbike, a great feeling. My first task was to recognise the help and support I've had from the team, both before and since I arrived. The accepted way of doing this, I'm informed, is to visit the lady up the road under the tree. This lady sells cold drinks from her coolbox and these were duly bought. The little gesture was well recieved and everyone enjoyed their cold one.20220118_110555.jpg

I was keen to pursue the reducing of the seat foam and was given good directions to the industrial estate where the upholster worked. The directions worked well and I established from the entrance sign that he was in building 11. However it was not so simple, as you'll see below. The acronym TIA came into my head, a helpful thought in times like these.20220118_115402.jpg

I the spent some time riding around the estate searching for the upholster and the out of sequence building 11. The exercise was useful in getting me acquainted with the slow speed handling of the bike but not so, in finding the elusive building 11. I had in the end to ask and found the place. My hopes of a quick 30 minute turnaround were dashed, when the guy explained he could not look at it for a week and he'd need the seat for 2 days. This approach was receding as a viable option, so left and I gave more thought to lowering the front.

I rode back to the dealer and after a short discussion about registration I brought the bike back into the workshop. I had a few things from yesterday to tidy up and some extra parts to fit. In essence who would not want to work on their new bike, in a warm workshop(in January), with high grade tools available and a helpful technical guru at your elbow.

Looking around the workshop in noticed the bike below. Tommy saw me looking at it and said it was a Ural. It had been stored for ages but came to life with the fitting of a set of carb washers and seals. I casually asked if they are reliable and Tommy said, well the guy rode it from Russia. 20220118_111216.jpg

The next bit may be a bit technical but you are welcome to hang in there. I wanted to tidy up the wiring from yesterday and to connect the GPS feed to a switched power source. An unattended bike with a brightly lit GPS, shouts, steal me, more so than an unlit one. Before the wiring was done, I fitted a camel toe, not the most demanding job but easier in a workshop than an apartment carpark.

Next was the wiring and we had some fun and games finding a switched power lead as Yamaha changed the colour of the wires either side of a connecting socket to the brake light. The right cable was identified and we now had a switched GPS. During lunchtime I fitted Grip Puppies something, I've done to every bike since, I suffered white finger on a ride to Croatia and back, that took a few months to clear.

For the uninitiated, no animal cruelty took place during the work above.

I then floated the idea of raising the front forks with Tommy and was surprised with his positive reply. He said he'd done it succesfully on a bike for his dad recently. Tommy lifted the front of the bike and opted a stand underneath and we raised the forks 20mm. The resulting test on the bike suggests its worthwhile and I can now manage without seat alteration. Leaving the dealer I thanked the team again. They allowed my to take up space in a busy workshop and borrow all the tools and some of Tommy's valuable time and only charged for the service work carried out before I arrived.

Leaving the dealer I knew I needed some additional tools, e. g., a 12 cm spanner. I'd brought a few spanners, but not a 12 and this bike uses that size a lot. I was able to buy what I needed at a tool shop about 200 meters from Yamaha Windhoek. As I returned to the bike it began to spit and looking around there were threatening clouds, so I rode home. Yes, rode my new bike home, all of 3 km, but it was a ride.

So the bike appears to be sorted and I'm now champing at the bit to get going somewhere. First however the little matter of registration needs to be resolved and I hope to pursue this further tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom