winter performance fettling...

L

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Bike is a 2002/06 1150GSA running a Y-piece, standard exhaust and Techlusion R-259. It's been running fine, so any changes are just for fun!

Santa brought me a Tills.de injector upgrade kit for Christmas https://www.tills.de/product-14.html which I'll get round to installing, but it got me thinking about other options whilst thinking about the job in hand...

Should I...
...just change the injectors and see how it is before thinking about anything else?
...get a John's Stage 12 chip (?) and install at the same time?
...get a proper tune on a Dyno by experts?
...change the can to a remus or similar?
...just go back to stock?

I've run a stubby in the past (both with and without a Y-Piece) and don't really want to go back, so what would you suggest in terms of biggest "bang for the buck"?

Thoughts please - and no, I don't want to change the bike :)

Bike is a 2002/06 1150GSA running a Y-piece, standard exhaust and Techlusion R-259. It's been running fine, so any changes are just for fun!

Santa brought me a Tills.de injector upgrade kit for Christmas https://www.tills.de/product-14.html which I'll get round to installing, but it got me thinking about other options whilst thinking about the job in hand...

Should I...
...just change the injectors and see how it is before thinking about anything else?
...get a John's Stage 12 chip (?) and install at the same time?
...get a proper tune on a Dyno by experts?
...change the can to a remus or similar?
...just go back to stock?

I've run a stubby in the past (both with and without a Y-Piece) and don't really want to go back, so what would you suggest in terms of biggest "bang for the buck"?

Thoughts please - and no, I don't want to change the bike :)

Blimey is John up to Stage 12. It doesn't seem 5 minutes since I fitted one of his Stage 8's to my 1100gs.
Can recommend his chips, it certainly improved the mid range on my bike and smoothed things out.
So it wouldn't hurt for you to fit one. But I'd check the waiting time re postage if you go down this route
due to the lurgydemic.

Personally, I would get it properly dyno tuned by somebody that knows what he is doing rather than trying a one size fits all approach - especially with new injectors.

But....it may get expensive as you would also need to buy the correct controller or license depending on what the dyno company use. i.e. PowerVision, Direct Link etc...

My 2000 model is similar, but Dynojet borrowed it when they brought out the powercommander for the 1150 range. It made a huge difference to mine and I have a Remus Race exhaust fitted, combined with 1200 injectors, R1100S intake tubes and a K&N filter.

It was with Dynojet for a couple of months as they wanted to fettle it and then get some maps set up for different mods. I’m really pleased (especially since it cost me nothing) with the performance map they asked me to test. 17yrs later, it’s still the map I’m running.

Don’t stop there though… Brakes, suspension and wheels/tyres all make big improvements to handling as long as you’re not going off road ;)

My 2000 model is similar, but Dynojet borrowed it when they brought out the powercommander for the 1150 range. It made a huge difference to mine and I have a Remus Race exhaust fitted, combined with 1200 injectors, R1100S intake tubes and a K&N filter.

It was with Dynojet for a couple of months as they wanted to fettle it and then get some maps set up for different mods. I’m really pleased (especially since it cost me nothing) with the performance map they asked me to test. 17yrs later, it’s still the map I’m running.

Don’t stop there though… Brakes, suspension and wheels/tyres all make big improvements to handling as long as you’re not going off road ;)

I see you went to Garstang (FWD?). I had forgotten about the intake tubes... I had changed them on an RT I had many years ago... Was that what Dynojet recommended, or something you did independantly ?

Whatever you decide,
Take one step at a time.
Regarding “ a proper tune on a dyno” what exactly can be tuned?
My 1100 ,now gone ,was fitted with one of johns chips,it made a huge difference from stock!
And better fuel consumption.
Check/set the ign timing.
Fit the injector kit.
Make sure all is well,then fit one of johns chips( tell him the exact spec of your bike)
Waste money on dyno runs if it makes you feel good.:thumby:

That’s right, Frank Wrathall’s place did it all. The intake tubes were one of the first mods, done at Allan Jefferies when they fitted the y-piece and Remus at the time I bought it. The map gave a 10% increase in power at 40% throttle which really helps overtaking on the road. I think the details are still around the forum here, somewhere, if you do a search.

I see you went to Garstang (FWD?). I had forgotten about the intake tubes... I had changed them on an RT I had many years ago... Was that what Dynojet recommended, or something you did independantly ?

Power Commander and a dyno tune (after any other mods) will provide the optimum performance for your specific bike and your particular preferences, e.g. maximum power, best economy etc.

I had mine tuned for maximum tractability - a flat torque curve, essentially - and it's lovely to ride and will pull from 1,500 rpm.

I have had oilheads Dynoed re Superchip back in the early 00s and also just fitted parts... The Dyno fine tuned small details at the time on an 1100 where TBH the biggest differences were felt as a stock 1100 tune was fairly basic... BMW did optimise their chips it seems as the three 1100s I messed with had different chips in but as I'm remote location the latter tunes have been seat of pants jobs...
My latest twin spark RT has 1200 injectors, a John chip and a K&N... As a fit at home tune it works really well and I leave the standard cans on as I can't be arsed with the extra noise...
I had a Hex RT as well and had a generic Hilltop remap that helped with that and unless you are looking to squeeze the last nanofart out of the bike a basic tune usually seems OK... Obviously you can pick all the wrong bits and fit in the wrong order and make an arse of it too...
As has been said, have a think about the bits and do one at a time... Nice bit of garage logic is half the fun...

Ps the most change you will usually see is the initial changes from standard as that is where the greater restrictions will be... Also I've ridden some very sweet standard bikes...😁😁👍

Back
Top Bottom