Recommendations for Broadband

Thanks for that - we've ordered the plan with Gigaclear - we're too old to change our spots and like having the handsets around the house, rather than mobile only (which we don't carry around the home).

Leaving BT was interesting - been a phone customer for 30+ years, broadband since 2004. Not a single "thank you", "hope it goes well" comment. Just vacuous "are you having a good day" bollocks.

Loyalty means absolutely nothing these days. BTW no mention that we (in theory) will lose IMAP access to our BT email addresses, which you might think is a key piece of info for most non-technical customers. No upsell to the £7.50/month Premium Mail either.

I said "in theory" - a mate left BT 2 years ago, does not pay £7.50/month, still has full IMAP email from his old BT account......

Interesting strategy using Sipgate's free plan; could go that way one day but ATM we can still afford the £9/month. Not saying that will hold, given reports of 14% inflation in the papers!

I suppose one day there will be 10G or summit that means all homes get internet over the air.

A

Thanks for that - we've ordered the plan with Gigaclear - we're too old to change our spots and like having the handsets around the house, rather than mobile only (which we don't carry around the home).

Leaving BT was interesting - been a phone customer for 30+ years, broadband since 2004. Not a single "thank you", "hope it goes well" comment. Just vacuous "are you having a good day" bollocks.

Loyalty means absolutely nothing these days. BTW no mention that we (in theory) will lose IMAP access to our BT email addresses, which you might think is a key piece of info for most non-technical customers. No upsell to the £7.50/month Premium Mail either.

I said "in theory" - a mate left BT 2 years ago, does not pay £7.50/month, still has full IMAP email from his old BT account......

Interesting strategy using Sipgate's free plan; could go that way one day but ATM we can still afford the £9/month. Not saying that will hold, given reports of 14% inflation in the papers!

I suppose one day there will be 10G or summit that means all homes get internet over the air.

A

I telephoned BT yesterday and gave the required 30 days notice to cancel my Landline, Broadband, and 700 minutes/month call plan. I explained that I was also cancelling my mobile but confirmed with them that as I was not in contract I could do that any time. They were very good and helpful. The handler I spoke to asked why I was leaving and when I explained my current fibre contract and cost he said he couldn't blame me for switching. He did explain about how I would lose IMAP access to my email but would keep my webmail access providing I accessed it regularly, he also informed me if I paid £7.50/month I could keep IMAP access. I also got an email explaining this.
Regarding the mobile he asked what I intended to do and then offered me a 24 month contract with EE with unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, and 10GB/month data for £8/month (i.e. a 20% discount for 24 months). Having already shopped around I knew I could do slightly better, but as he could set it up there and then it was going to save me hassle later on I decided to go with it. Plus, I've been happy with the coverage from BT, which uses the EE network.
I'll have to pull my finger out now and set up my SipGate account so I can port my landline number to them!
I've already copied my emails to my Outlook.com account, there was nearly 3GB of data in there so that took some time!

Back
Top Bottom