Speed cameras

GB.

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Only used the connect app for a short run but are there speed camera warnings on it?

Sadly not, it would have to be a licensed feature via TomTom I suspect but it’s apparently not something that’s on their radar. At least from what they’ve told me when I asked.

Similar answer I got when I asked about off road routing, again this app is so close to being awesome.

The developers have a very clear roadmap but I’m dammed if I know what it is. Speed camera locations has always been a contentious subject so I suspect they want no part of it unless they can get the speed camera database via TomTom.

I’d prefer them to use MapBox or OpenStreetMap instead of TomTom so at least it has most roads constructed in the last 10 years

It’s odd as they use Garmin for their units and car mapping.

Yeah it seems like for the app for some reason they’ve decided on TomTom but from memory Garmin don’t offer a mobile phone friendly mapping service so perhaps it wasn’t a viable option for the app.

Yeah it seems like for the app for some reason they’ve decided on TomTom but from memory Garmin don’t offer a mobile phone friendly mapping service so perhaps it wasn’t a viable option for the app.

They used too, was about £40 one time payment, but that was a while ago

Perhaps it’s because it’s a German designed product and you aren’t allowed camera warnings in Europe

I also have pocket gps, now if the connected app uses tomtom is there a way to download the cameras what would be used for the tomtom navs then add them to the app as poi's?

I also have pocket gps, now if the connected app uses tomtom is there a way to download the cameras what would be used for the tomtom navs then add them to the app as poi's?

You can’t add “packs” of POI’s unfortunately. You could add them manually but there’s no way to make the app alert you unfortunately :(

I really hope BMW address's some of these issues as it would make it an awesome app.

Perhaps it’s because it’s a German designed product and you aren’t allowed camera warnings in Europe

Really? News to me. You are not allowed radar detectors in some EU countries.

Really? News to me. You are not allowed radar detectors in some EU countries.

Aah, I may be wrong but I think I’ve seen that you cannot have speed camera warning on sat navs now.

As you’ll see it is anything but a European wide ban and, in the case of France, there is a workaround available.

I France the police do not have the right to inspect your GPS.

I use the SCDB files and the icon that displays the cameras can be changed to a triangle with an ! in it.

I emailed them about not being allowed to have camera warnings and their reply was "For us Germans, laws are well known. No policeman will need to check your navigation device. Nobody will see the cameras in your Garmin."

All good then:D

Back
Top Bottom