Interphone U-com 16

MartinK

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying a new comms kit. Was fancying something with MESH2 for an upcoming trip (with other SENA users)... Initially I was looking at a SENA 50...

At the moment I have a Schuberth C3Pro with Sena 10u and also a Scorpion helmet with older Interphone setup - both work great, neither has Mesh2. As I will be buying a new helmet in a year or so, so was thinking of a new system with Mesh2 for my group rides... As I'm planning to replace my C3Pro, I'm less intersted in a Sena +Mesh... Some of my buddies already have Sena - so no thoughts on Cardo et al...

This looks really good.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YDN4SF1UKVU" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Anyone had experience with Interphone U-com 16 ???

Seems to offer everything a Sena 50 offers, but three extra benefits: (1) slightly cheaper, (2) Waterproof, and with (3) extra battery life...

Cheers

Well...I bought one, as did 3 of my mates. We had a spin a couple of days ago...

Findings:
1. Easy to install, just like any other... (installed in my Schuberth C3Pro). Comes with two microphone options, one for "flip" and one for normal full-face.
2. Mesh2 is a doddle, just press a button on the UCOM and you connect immediately to anyone in range, way easier than faffing with BT
3. Battery life is not the best when using in anger. Listening to music, MESH with your mates, BT to your phone and GPS takes it's toll. There are bigger batteries available for the UCOM which may be a requirement for longer days in the saddle. It's just about enough just now (we met in Hawick, and toured Kielder, the Borders and Dumfries). Two of us got "battery low" warning after about 6 hours use, but an hour later we were still working! It did not go flat on us at 7 hours riding. Comparatively, my Sena 10u lasted more than one day, only needing charged every 2nd day... Bigger battery here https://www.interphone.com/en-gb/In...ntercoms/UNITE-BATTERY-1100-mAh/p/UCOMBAT1100
4. We did not get the range we expected, sometimes breaking-up the reception when only about 1km away (still in line-of-sight... I got separated at a motorway roundabout, I could see the guys about a km ahead as I came down the sliproad, but the reception was iffy at best). However we could be spread-out so the distance from front to rear rider was way more, and we could still hear each other (the signal "leap frogs").
5. Sound quality was on par with my Sena

All in all fairly pleased, may need to buy the bigger battery. Maybe faffing with the configs will help battery life and useable distance... Mesh2 definitely makes group intercom very easy. I hope more manufacturers (Cardo and others) offer "open" technology like Mesh2 for group comms...

A wee update, a year on. The UNOM 16 is still good.

Mark (ikkje on here) and I met up recently. Last year we tried to sync Mark's Cardo with my Interphone, and of course we spent quite a time being frustrated and still not managing to get them to work together using bluetooth. Mark now has Sena. It was soooo easy! One button, just one, and bang, reliable comms.

MESH2 chaps - that is where it's at!

Thx…did consider that but it’s half way cost to a new unit…and…as you say it’s (yet) another thing to charge !

Somebody doing a Sena headset better then Sena themselves!

Sena is not aimed at the UK market... or anywhere else that rains tbh
how can they do a headset that stops working in heavy rain... ridiculous!

its like selling a crash helmet that blows off in the wind lol

IMO the whole sena/cardo thing is so painful. MESH2 being an "open" protocol is much easier, if only more manufacturers would adopt open technology...

If the Garmin Tread "Group Ride" becomes more available (on your Garmin XT) that would be amazing! You could see your riding buddies location on the screen, and talk to them using VHF! Using your GPS as the hub for comms and location seems such a great idea?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hbg5D80yBmo" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It says you can communicate from a bluetooth speaker/mic in your helmet... Range upto 1.5 miles. But then we don't all have Garmin GPS I guess...

I recently bought the Cardo Packtalk Edge.
i wanted the Sena 50s at first but after hearing people moaning about them stopping working in wet weather was put off.

the Garmin thing sounds brilliant, thats something to really think about when replacing a GPS in the future

Can I just check Martin, Mesh 2 is "open protocol" but will only work with Sena and Interphone devices? Considering one as a better alternative to a 20S Evo.

Last edited:
Can I just check Martin, Mesh 2 is "open protocol" but will only work with Sena and Interphone devices? Considering one as a better alternative to a 20S Evo.
It definitely works with Sena 50 as my friend ikkje has the Sena and works great with my Interphone. Just one button to press, no lengthy confirmation...

Got mine yesterday and as per the usual sequence, paired my phone with my GPS then paired my U com 16 to the GPS. I installed the Unite app on my phone and it required me to pair the phone with the U Com 16. Do you know Martin whether doing it this way interferes with taking calls and BT pairing as the phone is now connected to the UCom?

Morety
My experience was that I could not get it to work like this. I have my NAV6 configured as a phone to my ucom. When I paired the phone to the ucom (helping my friend set his up) it seemed to confuse things. I left my phone paired to NAV6, and my helmet thinks the NAV6 is a phone.... Works great

Morety
My experience was that I could not get it to work like this. I have my NAV6 configured as a phone to my ucom. When I paired the phone to the ucom (helping my friend set his up) it seemed to confuse things. I left my phone paired to NAV6, and my helmet thinks the NAV6 is a phone.... Works great
Got you, so you use one of the phone BT pairing channels and connect your gps to this, and not as the booklet explains to the dedicated GPS input? The presumably you pair your phone separately with the GPS only and it works with the phone as a single "phone" conection to the ucom?

I tried configuring the Nav 6 as phone but it didn't work, in that I couldn't make or receive calls with my phone added to the Nav as a separate input. It only seemed to work for me as first pairing GPS to intercom (using the GPS pairing) then pairing my phone to the Nav 6. That seems to work perfectly. Really impressed with the HD speakers of the Ucom, really clear and loud. Taking a call, the person making the call had no idea I was on the bike and said comms were crystal clear so good result.

Sorry. I meant that the UCOM things the NAV6 is a phone - because you get your calls through the NAV6. The NAV6 is the "controller" for everything, so everything (bike, phone, helmet) connects to the NAV6. That way you can see the incoming call details on the NAV6, and answer it by touching the green symbol (or reject by pushing red). If you want to call out, you can use your phone's address book on the NAV6. Just like a car.

So you need to tell your UCOM that the NAV6 is indeed a phone ;)

Yes, spot on. Nav 6 paired as a GPS and phone controlled via gps which means disconnecting the bluetooth pairing between U Com and phone. I leave the Ucom switched off until after I start the bike and then allow the phone to pair with the GPS. Intercom then turned on and if it auto pairs with the phone, I cancel that bluetooth pairing out from the phone which is just left paired with the GPS, whilst the Ucom pairs with the GPS.

I do the exact same with the SLR Mesh which seems for all intents and purposes to operate exactly the same as the UCom 16 (same sequence of button presses and same functionality, plus both are Open Mesh as well as Bluetooth). I wouldn't be surprised if they both used the identical Sena architecture and software

Back
Top Bottom