Ride day ruined by tyre inflation

bosnjo

Reaction score
Today, my ride day was completely ruined by valves on my rims. When I left my house, I noted on TPMS display that the front tyre was a bit low on pressure (aftermarket TPMS). Stopped at the first gas station and instead of inflating the tyre, the pressure went down.
The valves on my cast wheels are just too short. So, with even lower pressure rode to the next gas station. The same story again. Just couldn't inflate and again lost some more pressure. I started to get a bit worried and rode to a 3rd gas station. Tried on that one, again the same problem but this time I lost a lot of air. The front tyre got to a critically low pressure and TPMS display started beeping the warning. I was at the about half of recommended pressure. So, decided to limp the bike home. Steering was all over. It was hard to control the bike. Rode it like that for 15 miles and saw one more gas station and decided to give it a try. Thank God, on that one everything worked well and I was back on the road again.
But, the beautiful sunny day was ruined. 2 hours lost running between gas stations and losing pressure on the front tyre. Well, it has happened before but it was always just a ride to the next gas station. Today, it was bad.
My question is, is there any kind of extension that I can carry in my toolbox for situations like this? I have cast wheels with valves pointing to the side. Is there a piece of hose extension, metal extention, whatever???????
Thanks

Yes there are, it's a well known problem.
Try searching here as there a few threads on the subject.

Ok, thank you. I'm looking for something that will not be mounted permanently, just to use it if needed.

You could be better prepared in future

90degree angle adapter (as has been said)
On board 12v small compressor with bike (that come with a more flexible lead)
Cheap hi volume MTB pump at home with a schraeder valve end
Mains Compressor at home

Just a thought

Sorry to read your ride was ruined.
As Johnny writes get a set of 90 degree valve adaptors from Mr Amazon and keep them in your bike jacket and of course if you have a top box or rucksack a small pump.
At least you have a better chance of riding in your neck of the woods. :)

I know I'm to blame but I have never had a bike with this problem. This one is my first BMW (2021 R1250GS). I have the compressor but as I was not going far away, just for a morning ride, I left it at home.
Anyway, found the hose extension with valve on AliExpress, perfect for what I need.

Curious, on a wheel that already has the valve stem at a right angle so to speak, how is adding another 90* helping? I can see carrying an extension but why the 90*?

Curious, on a wheel that already has the valve stem at a right angle so to speak, how is adding another 90* helping? I can see carrying an extension but why the 90*?

Correct, that is why I ordered 10cm hose with valve.

I use these

Today, my ride day was completely ruined by valves on my rims. When I left my house, I noted on TPMS display that the front tyre was a bit low on pressure (aftermarket TPMS). Stopped at the first gas station and instead of inflating the tyre, the pressure went down.
The valves on my cast wheels are just too short. So, with even lower pressure rode to the next gas station. The same story again. Just couldn't inflate and again lost some more pressure. I started to get a bit worried and rode to a 3rd gas station. Tried on that one, again the same problem but this time I lost a lot of air. The front tyre got to a critically low pressure and TPMS display started beeping the warning. I was at the about half of recommended pressure. So, decided to limp the bike home. Steering was all over. It was hard to control the bike. Rode it like that for 15 miles and saw one more gas station and decided to give it a try. Thank God, on that one everything worked well and I was back on the road again.
But, the beautiful sunny day was ruined. 2 hours lost running between gas stations and losing pressure on the front tyre. Well, it has happened before but it was always just a ride to the next gas station. Today, it was bad.
My question is, is there any kind of extension that I can carry in my toolbox for situations like this? I have cast wheels with valves pointing to the side. Is there a piece of hose extension, metal extention, whatever???????
Thanks

Attachments

• F66B6DA8-3613-470A-82A5-11F8A257BCD3.jpg
    F66B6DA8-3613-470A-82A5-11F8A257BCD3.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 649
  • C122FACB-FEF6-445B-A749-F6A91CBD77A8.jpg
    C122FACB-FEF6-445B-A749-F6A91CBD77A8.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 654
Thanks for the info, I'll add an extension to the tool kit, didn't realize the valve stems were too short for some gas station hoses. Although I do carry a compressor with me, must check to confirm it works with the cast wheel stem.

The angled ones are much more common and easier to find/buy.

i never rely on gas stations for air, always have an airman pump, fly lead from the battery and a cigarette lighter style adaptor.

I had the same thing happen to me in Portsmouth. Unfortunately I live in Scotland.
Fortunately I was just being lazy nd so got my 12V air compressor out to resolve the situation. I never leave home without it.

Back
Top Bottom