Zumo XT and Mac

Berin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Someone was asking about Mac’s and the Zumo XT and was having some connection issues.

Here’s some screen shots of the XT connected to my Mac, currently running 12.0.1 Monterey, but this has worked fine on all previous versions.

f240b99a09d6fc28dc7fbd5cf5cb7638.jpg

ab58013f19c8aeec45f35ce168eb3036.jpg

1fda1106fe3fd2504897d641e55189b9.jpg

This shows the XT connected to Basecamp, with all the maps read, Garmin Express, from which I was also able to install the latest 2022.2 maps to the Mac, and to Android file transfer. This is quite a useful free app, because the XT is Android based it doesn’t show up in Finder as a mass storage device.

The key thing to remember is that the Mac can only make a connection from one programme at once to the XT. For example, if it is connected to Basecamp it won’t be visible in Android File Transfer or GE and these other programmes must be completely closed. This is important.

Only use the OEM Garmin USB cable too, it’s a bit sensitive to cables.

This usually works for me:

Switch on the XT
Plug the cable in, press connect via USB
Then open Garmin Express, and it should show up.

To switch to Basecamp, close out of GE, including exiting via the little triangle up in the menu bar. Open Basecamp. If the XT doesn’t appear, unplug the USB cable and plug it back in, and restart basecamp.

That should do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The XT is working correctly for me too, Monterey on two different Macs. Had some connection (slow) issues a few firmware updates ago.

I'm not a big fan of Android File Transfer as it auto-launches at startup and hijacks the XT + it takes a few extra liberties I don't like.
In my case I shelled a few quid on CommanerOne that is a file transfer client for Mac that also supports the MTP protocol that the Zumo uses.

Good find - I'm going to try that.

The XT is working correctly for me too, Monterey on two different Macs. Had some connection (slow) issues a few firmware updates ago.

I'm not a big fan of Android File Transfer as it auto-launches at startup and hijacks the XT + it takes a few extra liberties I don't like.
In my case I shelled a few quid on CommanerOne that is a file transfer client for Mac that also supports the MTP protocol that the Zumo uses.

Back
Top Bottom