Just bought a DR Z 400S today

ZED 1000

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have an itch to scratch having not done any off road since my late teens (over 40 years ago) I fancy trying a bit of gentle green lanes.

So found this DRZ which has been sitting unused since 2009, the lad told me the last MOT in 2009 shows 10thousand mile he bought it at 17 and never passed his test. He had it 33bhp restricted I will need to find out what I have to do to de-restrict it. The Petrol has been in there since 2009 :anger::anger::anger:. What are the carbs on the DRZ like to work on ?
I want to replace the tyres with a mildish block pattern knobbly. Your thoughts on tyres please. Spokes are corroded I was thinking of stainless, rims need a refresh or replacing what’s the fav finish for DRZ.
I will have lots more questions

Attachments

• 8E1E43A0-02BB-4CE5-A3C9-2A1522B930B7.jpg
    8E1E43A0-02BB-4CE5-A3C9-2A1522B930B7.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 336
  • 2C482E77-E519-42C5-B0A8-8C5CD736A8D0.jpg
    2C482E77-E519-42C5-B0A8-8C5CD736A8D0.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 340
Wow, that is really clean!

What year is this one?
I have a 2000 and trying to understand if the rear swing arm has been replaced with something else.

Wow, that is really clean!

What year is this one?
I have a 2000 and trying to understand if the rear swing arm has been replaced with something else.

It’s a 2002 I’d say it’s never been offroad by the look of it’s condition and lack of damage/ware.

I don’t have much knowledge of the DRZ model differences anyone please explain mine is a drz400S

Bash plate exhaust

Is the bash place a after market extra on my bike or a standard fit item.
I will be looking to change the exhaust for a lighter one with more noise, any recommendations.

I went through enough pain to find the original "E" exhaust to replace a very noisy one.
Especially if you are gonna do lanes.
I'd keep the original can tbh.

I don’t have much knowledge of the DRZ model differences anyone please explain mine is a drz400S

The S is the watered down version compared to the E, more road going bike, tin tank and electric start only, many buy the kick-start kit so they can have both options.

Good robust bikes, just a tad heavy.

Bits

I like the look of the twin headlights and surround on this one, the pannier racks, and the tank, where can they be bought.

Attachments

• FFD5FA2E-0FF1-48AA-8594-50B6477A3548.jpeg
    FFD5FA2E-0FF1-48AA-8594-50B6477A3548.jpeg
    229.7 KB · Views: 261
I do have the kickstarter on mine. Couple of times I needed it, I was on road and it was waay easier to bump start it. :D

Acerbis does a couple of tanks for the DRZ.

The S has different gearing (longer) than the E.
Exhaust and carb slightly larger. A lot less of electrical wiring.
No radiator fan. And a few other things.

The bike in the picture also has the radiator guards and the engine case protector.

Restriction is usually a restrictor plate in the carb,

And may be jetting as well

There may be a restrictor in the exhaust as well

Contact a suzuki dealer, they will be able to tell you

or alternatively use the WWW search function, with a start question of ..

"how do i derestrict a DR Z 44S"

Thumpertalk is your friend.
A decent amount of info on old Advrider threads too.

All good information thanks guys.

I have a shopping list already.

Really do want one of them twin head light front cowlings like the one in the photo above if anyone knows where to try for one.

So my plan is carb off for sonic clean, tank off and find a method to clean that out ? new oil what is the best oil for the DRZ and oil filter new plug again what do you guys use (I need to get me a Haynes manual). new battery,
wheels out to replace the spokes and refinish the rims, sort which tyres to buy brake fluid change. I also need info on what you guys replace the ugly square mirrors with, I need 1 r-h rear indicator. I am sure this list will grow.

All good information thanks guys.

I have a shopping list already.

Really do want one of them twin head light front cowlings like the one in the photo above if anyone knows where to try for one.

So my plan is carb off for sonic clean, tank off and find a method to clean that out ? new oil what is the best oil for the DRZ and oil filter new plug again what do you guys use (I need to get me a Haynes manual). new battery,
wheels out to replace the spokes and refinish the rims, sort which tyres to buy brake fluid change. I also need info on what you guys replace the ugly square mirrors with, I need 1 r-h rear indicator. I am sure this list will grow.

As others have said get yourself on a Drz forum , they will answer the oil/ filters/ plugs/ differences questions. I recently bought a XL250 Motorsport, I found thumpertalk and the Facebook page for the 250XL was a good start.

Re ferb completed

The DRZ is now on the road running sweet MOTed and taxed, I’ve not ridden an enduro trial bike for 42 years, feels a bit alien.
Tank had a chemical clean and lining treatment
Carb striped sonic cleaned and rebuilt with a full rebuild kit from the states
Front and rear callipers rebuilt fluid changed
Full engine service
New Motobatt
Plus other bits along the way
By far the most expensive bit was the wheels, at around £700 when completed, I wanted black hubs and rims so chopped out the spokes had the rims and hubs powder coated new stainless spokes fitted new bearings and seals new 4mm ultra HD tubes and new tyres, I’m happy with the overall finish on the bike.

Lucky to have the private use of a local former off-road competition trail/track, it’s going to be a bit of a new riding/learning experience for me, let’s hope my old bones will stick the punishment.

Attachments

• 0CAAC3CF-0487-4561-8D0F-26131438B1EC.jpg
    0CAAC3CF-0487-4561-8D0F-26131438B1EC.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 108
  • 1E4F7BF2-E7A1-43D1-BFA5-74B8A4694864.jpg
    1E4F7BF2-E7A1-43D1-BFA5-74B8A4694864.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 106

Back
Top Bottom