iPad screen washed-out

John Roberts

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My wife’s iPad screen has been acting up like this for the last few months, when she switched it on it sometimes looked like the picture below for a while but after switching it off and on a few times it would always start behaving again.

However the fault won’t clear itself now, she used it all evening and it still looks as in the picture. It works fine otherwise. It’s about six years old.

Any suggestions anyone, please? :)

Attachments

• 116ABA61-939B-4166-921C-B818ED03ADC9.jpg
    116ABA61-939B-4166-921C-B818ED03ADC9.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 316
Curses, just missed the 60minutes allowed to edit my post, I wanted to add that I’ve tried that thing where you press both the off/on and the round buttons at the same time, a forced re-start is it??

Never seen that before and across our family we have about 8 ipads. 6 years is a fair use for a tablet. Guess you have two options. Take it to a high street ipad repairer , it maybe just the screen. Or buy a new / more recent one. Later Ipads are faster and have clearer screens.

Ps you have done the right thing doing a soft reset.

Do you know the model number it’s on the rear A and four digits. The lcd has most likely failed up to the iPad Air they are easily replaced, beyond that model they are a combined lcd and digitiser.I have repaired numerous iPads. There are several companies that do these repairs.

I have something similar on my 8 year old iPad mini. Once the iPad has been in use for a while (with the back properly warm) it sometimes clears itself. Also pressing the button on the front, again when properly warm, will sometimes clear it.

My local Apple retailer is Stormfront and they are not interested in repairing it. I haven't yet taken it to an independent repairer.

tom

Whilst I'm no Apple aficionado, my buddy reckons it could just be a software issue with the wallpaper, something that emerged a few years back with many phones.

He reckons if you enter Recovery mode & then press update, even if there are no updates available, it should sort itself.

May be worth a try before you flash the plastic.

…. He reckons if you enter Recovery mode & then press update, even if there are no updates available, it should sort itself.

May be worth a try before you flash the plastic.
Hmm. How do I do that? Any danger it will wipe any stored stuff- pictures and so on?

SitRep (I think that means situation report). Took it to town for advice from my computer repair man and to see if it was worth bothering with, he said that he would dig out an old iPad he had on Monday and if the required bit was suitable he would do the job for £30. It means that I’ll have the part free and just pay the thirty quid for labour rather than look elsewhere for the part (which might cost me more and still be unsuitable) and doing the job myself. So it seems a reasonable deal, I’ll let you know.

And thanks, everybody. :beerjug:

PS Can’t remember whether it was the screen itself that he thought was faulty, It might have been something else tucked away under it.

In all seriousness, it may need a gentle tap (whack) on the back as one of the LCD pins/connections has become dislodged. Had this happen a couple of times with the kids iPads.

Change of plan. Called in at the local Currys for an iPad; all gone, they sell as soon as they hit the shelves apparently. We were actually looking for last year’s model (or the one before the latest, it might have been the 2019 model??) but no luck with that either. So, not sure what to do, buy on line from Currys and wait, although there seems to be surprisingly little difference in price between the old and the new model years, buy elsewhere, buy reconditioned… Or will the old stock be dropping in price anyway… Questions, questions. So any recommendations where to go loking anybody?

Oh, and thank you for the suggestion, the director, I had prodded and knocked just-in-case before in a random manner, but after your post I went over the thing front and back and edges methodically. It’s still fucked. :mad:

Also with John Lewis a much better warranty is usually offered.

I wouldn't buy anything from Curries unless i absolutely had to.

Apple probably have the odd iPad kicking about. Check out their refurb store for a discount. I just saved £140 on a mac mini.

Thanks for that, I tried- God how I tried- to order from them on my own (not my wife's) iPad and couldn't get anywhere, time after time. I tried it again from my desktop and ordered with no bother. Well, thank feck for that; I have a headache (really) after going between about four different websites and always going around in circles because they were all saying that they had one in stock up to the point I placed the order, then "Sorry, temporarily Out of Stock".

The bastard thing had better be good when it arrives, I'm telling ya! :anger

PS I love that emoji, fits a treat!

Back
Top Bottom