Just spec'd the new Honda NT1100

Who the fuck is Rocket Man ?
DCT was good on my 2016 AT and brilliant on my 2018 ATAS.
Those that say it’s not very good are often too stupid to know how to use it , including a recent MCN road tester who complained there was no way to alter the changes , not realising it had S1 , II and III modes.
Twat !!

I looked at Rocket Man’s review and I feel he is a bit harsh. He didn’t get on with the dct and he has allowed that to cloud his judgment. My view is that it’s a hell of a bike. Put shaft drive and electric screen on it and it’s not a sports tourer anymore and it’s €1,500 more. I think that it hits the spot. Well I’ve voted with my money. Actually the banks. JJH

The trouble is that a test ride, even a long one isn’t long enough to gell with the DCT system. IIUC, it’s a learning system and takes a while to adapt to your riding style. When I first got the Goldwing, with DCT , it was in top gear before 40mph. Now, after about 3000 miles, it settled into what I would consider to be a more usual point for changing gears.
Incidentally, when using it manually, if you do sustained down shifts it’s silky smooth. Better than any manual gearbox. Especially the agricultural boxes fitted to BMW’s.

Just saw a notification that Honda have bumped the prices up on the NT1100 by £400 on both Manual and DCT bikes.... didn't take long that did it

When do the new prices come into effect. I ordered mine and paid the deposit way back in October for delivery on the 1st March, it’s still not arrived at the dealers and not now expected til early April , it’s just a std DCT no extras. I’m not bothered that it’s late but will not pay a penny more than the price I agreed when I ordered it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The trouble is that a test ride, even a long one isn’t long enough to gell with the DCT system. IIUC, it’s a learning system and takes a while to adapt to your riding style. When I first got the Goldwing, with DCT , it was in top gear before 40mph. Now, after about 3000 miles, it settled into what I would consider to be a more usual point for changing gears.
Incidentally, when using it manually, if you do sustained down shifts it’s silky smooth. Better than any manual gearbox. Especially the agricultural boxes fitted to BMW’s.

This. The DCT on my 2020 ATAS is superb, and it seems to have learned my riding patterns (rides badly, all the time :D ). It changes gear when I would normally change. Brake hard and hear it downshift and pop aggressively :)

It's also extraordinarily fast off the line, doing a much better job of clutch control for a launch than I ever could.

Fluffmeister rode it, and declared it 'the future', and he is a BMW chap through and through. As stever1 says though you need a longer ride or ideally at least a few days living with it to start to appreciate it.

When do the new prices come into effect. I ordered mine and paid the deposit way back in October for delivery on the 1st March, it’s still not arrived at the dealers and not now expected til early April , it’s just a std DCT no extras. I’m not bothered that it’s late but will not pay a penny more than the price I agreed when I ordered it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Would think you'd be fine with agreed price it's undecided people like me that will get stuck, need to get a test ride on a manual bike..... dealership demos seem to be DCT
Wonder if the packs and accessories will also increase by similar %?

Totally agree with this, for me the Honda DCT transmission is the best of both worlds.:thumb

I had an early DCT Crosstourer and loved the system already, of course it’s been improved a couple of generations since then

I had a Goldwing for four or five days last year

My only complaint is that they do clatter a bit at low speed at least with shaft drive bikes, I’ve not tried a chain drive model

If I was buying another Honda I’d take the DCT every time

So just filled up brim to brim and the figures are looking good. 50 mpg. Dash says 5.5 per 100 kilms which according to my adding machine is 50 mpg. Those figures could be wrong as I managed to put 21.48 litres into the 20.4 litre tank. Every bmw I’ve had has been able to hold more petrol than stated but I’ve not known Honda for giving bigger than stated petrol tanks. So it’s either a faulty petrol pump or a bigger tank. If it’s a faulty pump my mpg is even better. The other thing I’ve noticed is the speedo seems to be constantly opmistic. By a good bit. Haven’t got my phone hooked up yet but that might show any difference with the speedo and google maps. JJH

Got Apple air play hooked up. Bit of a 3 day camel ride. Pair bike to comms system on helmet and connect phone to bike with a cable. 2 days later I find out that it has to be an Apple cable. I hear there’s a Bluetooth thing you can plug in instead. Hopefully that will work. Why you have to pair a headset is beyond me. I am quite happy with silence. JJH

Got Apple air play hooked up. Bit of a 3 day camel ride. Pair bike to comms system on helmet and connect phone to bike with a cable. 2 days later I find out that it has to be an Apple cable. I hear there’s a Bluetooth thing you can plug in instead. Hopefully that will work. Why you have to pair a headset is beyond me. I am quite happy with silence. JJH

I asked about doing it by BT and was told they do it plugged in so the phone battery doesn’t go flat. Also if it’s via wire it’s less susceptible to interference. Incidentally, it sounds like it works the same as on my Goldwing.

The bike will run out of petrol long before the phone battery goes flat. Why not make optional? Some cars will work plugged in or wirelessly. Interference? Come on load of old cobblers. JJH

The bike will run out of petrol long before the phone battery goes flat. Why not make optional? Some cars will work plugged in or wirelessly. Interference? Come on load of old cobblers. JJH

It’s hardly an issue on the wing as the USB port is in the topbox so the phone is out of the weather. Not really a big issue though, is it ?

It’s hardly an issue on the wing as the USB port is in the topbox so the phone is out of the weather. Not really a big issue though, is it ?
It’s not an issue. Just a pain. Where did put the phone? Get a mount? So you may as well just use the phone without hooking it up!! JJH

I don't think it will solve anyone's Apple Carplay problems though.

S20 5G sent this......

Ride have just done an extended ride report. All fairly positive, with just a few gripes, namely, the TFT crapped out when it got wet, the screen adjustment seized due to being wet and apparently the luggage is too small. All things that can easily be sorted (except the TFT) but that might have been a one off.

How can DCT in town be shit. You don’t have to change gear , you can’t stall it and you dont have to piss about doing the Hendon shuffle every time you stop.

And if you are in sports mode you will win the traffic light Grand Prix every time, even against a theoretically faster bike.

Ride have just done an extended ride report. All fairly positive, with just a few gripes, namely, the TFT crapped out when it got wet, the screen adjustment seized due to being wet and apparently the luggage is too small. All things that can easily be sorted (except the TFT) but that might have been a one off.
My tft got wet this week. Very wet.
Still works. So does the screen. I haven’t read the report but yes the boxes are too narrow to take a helmet. It seems a bit odd for the sake of an inch. But in migration it’s a sport tourer. Next accessory will be wider lids like they did on the deauville. Seriously it’s a lovely bike to ride. There is a shortcoming around CarPlay which I’d imagine can be overcome with an software upgrade. The bloody thing can see your phone so it must be a simple job to make car play work without a wire. I was in Chicago recently and the car just connected to the phone and displayed TomTom maps no problem.

Back
Top Bottom