Tour in early May around Brittany, Normandy and Pays de Loire

The truth is both methods can work. There is no right and wrong. The great thing is that the OP is giving it a go!

:beerjug:[/QUOTE]

Absolutely
:beerjug:

My comment was directed more towards the gaggle crew than to addressing the OP's dilemma.......and I guess you don't mind sharing a bed with your wife, let alone a room :beerjug:

For what it's worth, I am looking for a family run hotel on a specific Monday in the very rural mid-west of France in mid-June. Some are already full, even when contacting the hotels direct. Some are shut, which is sometimes not unusual for small (non-chain) enterprises on a Monday, whilst some are open but their restaurant is shut, again not unusual. Having a bed but nothing to eat, though with nice country views, is not that appealing. Some are just plain in the wrong place.

I can find lots of gites but they don't suit us for this jaunt. They do though when we go to Le Mans and when we went to the Mediterranean in August 2020. In the end I compromised by finding a family hotel in the big railway hub town of Montlucon. It doesn't have a restaurant but I have found one or two within walking distance (or a cab if it's peeing down) that are open on a Monday. This little task took me a couple of hours, which I would rather do at home in February than sweating my nuts off by the side of the road in June, when I'd be better employed drinking beer. A part of my need to also confirm the hotel is driven by my bikermate travelling companion wanting to tell his wife where we are staying. That I can understand but it removes at a stroke any concept of winging it.

The truth is both methods can work. There is no right and wrong. The great thing is that the OP is giving it a go!

:beerjug:

this reminds me of what I have been doing for Buhlertal in early May - it seems the local restaurants have a rota for who opens on days other than the weekend

Montlucon is a shit hole. Are you not able to bomb another 90 miles down the autoroute to somewhere scenic like La Bourboule or Le Mont Dore in the Volcanes?

Indeed, Montlucon is a dump. I have a hotel reserved there and will, I assure you, be refining at leisure. I had a really nice county hotel reserved, until I enquired about the restaurant’s intention of feeding guests on a Monday evening.The answer was a polite, “Non”.

I have a marker down on Aubusson, as a realistic and better alternative, not least it saves us an hour the next day getting to Millau.

It is though an illustration of where a bod and his mates might end up if they wing it and / or an illustration of where some pre-planning comes into its own.

Back
Top Bottom