Not an oil question but a battery one

peepingtom

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
my battery is on the way out and was wondering what the best replacement would be. I was going to go for a standard Harley (deka?) one as most people seam to recommend them but happy to have my mind changed especially if its cheaper :D
it'll be for a 2010 street bob
:beerjug:

I have a Motobatt on mine (£80) but the Harley ones are probably better but more expensive.

I have a genuine HD battery on OS - worth the extra IMO..

I replaced a moto batt after some starting issues!!

To be fair the issue was not battery related - but after some research you have to go a fair way to beat an OEM battery

Cold cranking amps…..HD batteries are good at that..

You'll find all of your alternatives here.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/

I personally don't like Motobatts. For me, they have the highest early failure rate of any known brand. My battery bin at the workshop is half yellow.. They also have stupid terminals that seem to rattle loose with frequency.

I like Yuasa, Varta, excide and Bosch. These all seem to do a great job and last their worth.

"They also have stupid terminals that seem to rattle loose with frequency."

I've had issues here....

I have found that OEM branded batteries also have a manufactures part number on them as well as the Motorcycle brand part number. If you look up the manufacturers part number you tend to find the exact same battery without for example the MoCo branding for half the price.

Not saying it works in all cases, but worth a look. I had a battery fail on an Indian Roadmaster the branded battery was actually a Yuasa and I found the exact same battery at Halfords for almost half the cost of the so called Indian OEM item, which was the same battery.

I personally don't like Motobatts. For me, they have the highest early failure rate of any known brand. My battery bin at the workshop is half yellow.. They also have stupid terminals that seem to rattle loose with frequency.

I like Yuasa, Varta, excide and Bosch. These all seem to do a great job and last their worth.

I agree with all of this...

thanks for the replies , I had already discounted motobatt as ive got one on my 990 and its not been great . that's a nice list to ponder from tanya and ill weigh up the pros and cons with the OEM one. as far as I can see jersey hd don't sell batteries so ill give lings a call tomorrow for a price :beerjug:

then I need to find someone to fix it :blast if my abracadabra wand ( rev it up lots ) doesn't do its magic :thumb

Get a Glass Matt with the highest CCA rating you can afford….

If you want the best battery and don't mind spending £100+, then an Odyssey battery is what you want. They're awesome.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Odyssey are good. but last summer I got a Yuasa from Halfords for my Dyna £79. Yuasa make Harley batterys.

I concur. Had good life from all of those brands in cars & bikes. Tayna is a very good retailer.

Back
Top Bottom