Rear brake pad issues

Wraithwrider

Reaction score
I've had a right saga with replacing the rear pads on my R1200RS. I'm looking for a definitive answer to something that really should be plain and simple.

I've owned the bike from new, over 6 years. I love it. I'm doing all my own servicing.

This goes on a bit but it does get there in the end.

Back a good few months ago, at 30,000 miles the rear pads were getting worn and its a simple enough job. I bought Ferodo sintered pads and popped them in after cleaning the calliper that is maintained regularly. The OEM pads have a backing plate on the inside pad. The plate is a sheet of white plastic (PTFE?) encased in a stainless steel holder. I thought 'do the new pads need this fitted or not'? I checked around and no-one seemed to know. So I fitted it anyway and all seemed to go together fine in the workshop.

Then the saga started. Binding, overheating, rapid wear. I had the calliper apart a number of times, I even ended up putting new pistons and seals in and new pin grommets. 3,500 miles after I replaced 'em the inside pad was worn almost to the metal. I replaced the pads again with £50+ OEM ones that came with a new backing plate. Things are getting expensive.

Now the binding and odd wear has gone but I realise that the inside surface of the disc has taken a hammering and the new pads have worn unevenly to suit.

I'm about to fit a new Brembo disc and I have Brembo sintered pads to go with it. I've come to the conclusion that I shouldn't have fitted the backing plate to the Ferodo pads and that this error has caused me endless hassle.

I've spoken to Steve at Rainbow Workshop and he tells me that he only uses Brembo replacement pads and that he does fit the backing plate!

So that Brembo with but Ferodo without? How are the punters supposed to know?

Has anyone else had this quandary and can they shed some light on it.

Failing that I'll fit the Brembo with and remove it at any slight hint of binding.

Peter

Back
Top Bottom