Privacy warning on my iPhone settings

Big-G

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’ve recently moved to BT broadband and since then I’ve noticed my wifi settings on my iPhone X is showing me a privacy warning. Can anyone help please or is this something normal with a BT router as i understand it, it also partitions part signal for general wifi hot spot. Any ideas or suggestions please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this is from a TalkTalk user forum but might well be relevant:

Some Apple products have recently had an upgrade that can show the WiFi connection as having weak security:-

iPad Software Version 14.01 - since the update to Version 14.0 it has shown Weak Security
iPhone SE Software Version 14.01 -since the update to Version 14.0 it has shown Weak Security

In addition to this, Windows 10 & 11 running Version 21H2 or later now has support for the security mode WPA3. In addition to that, if you also have if a WiFi adapter in that PC supports WPA3 authentication, then you may also get this warning message.

This is not really any problem at all, because when the device tries to connect to a router, it will always negotiate with the router to use the highest security settings available on both the router & the device. This would normally be WPA2 Personel with AES encryption. By default all TalkTalk routers allow WPA2 Personal & the older WPA2-TKIP to be in their list of available security modes.

This also means that whilst your phone, tablet & laptop are connected using WPA2 Personal with AES encryption; older devices that only support WPA2-TKIP can also connect simultaneously, but with the poorer security mode.

This upgrade is prompting you to remove the less secure mode from the router & this could mean that if you have some older devices, they may no longer be able to connect to your WiFi.

If you have done this ios14 upgrade and you want to restrict the available security modes available in your router please log into it & go to the WiFi settings and change:-

WiFi Security mode to: WPA2-PSK only

Encryption: AES

Back
Top Bottom