how long life tyres

ynotbiker

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all, i’ve got a 2012 twin cam . i have some michelin road trail 5’s fitted 4000 miles ago. The dealer basically said to me that the front would need changing with the back . The back is now shot at 4000 miles and front still have plenty of tread left . i was wondering if anyone gets 2 back tyres to one front as things are a bit tight at the moment. cheers all

The dealer is probably trying to sell you a tyre that you may not need.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding here, but why are you contemplating changing the front if it's got plenty of tread left?

For what it's worth (and probably not a great deal), I tend to get about 5-6k out of a rear, and maybe 9-10k from a front, but that's running on the old school Tourance.

That's on a single cam 08 GS.

cheers does the bike handle any different with a old front and a new back.i usually swop both out same time. as say but skint at mo.👍

cheers does the bike handle any different with a old front and a new back.i usually swop both out same time. as say but skint at mo.��

There is no substitute for a set of nice new tyres!

If money is no object, have your bike fettler fit a new set before every ride.

If you're skint, run each tyre as far as you legally can.

Most folk do something in between.

I always change the pair regardless of how much tread is apparent on the front

If the rear is shagged then the front will have changed its shape and profile and putting just a rear on whilst economical, does not give that lovely new tyre feeling

cheers does the bike handle any different with a old front and a new back.i usually swop both out same time. as say but skint at mo.��

There's one way to find out.

Michelin Road 5`s on my 2012 twin cam GS, I have been getting 6k miles from a rear and 12k miles from a front.
Was getting the same from the Michelin Pilot road 4`s.
73K miles on this bike and never noticed a handling problem, except with the PR4`s that used to walk when pushed hard on corners.

On the mileage you mention and plenty of tread on the front, you should be fine (and probably won't notice) with a new rear only.

For what it's worth and risking another tyre thread, I converted to Conti Trail Attack 2s a while back, now on my second set of CTA 3s... For me at least, they are the best tyre I've had. I'm getting around 10k+ miles, maybe a tad more, from the rear - front is usually also sufficiently deformed by this point, so it's always a pair I but. I've been uber impressed with how long they maintain their profile and how long they last. Most of my riding is long haul stuff, on roads, loaded up.

For your new rear, you won't go wrong switching to A CTA3

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I can think of two and that’s without really trying too hard.

I'm all ears, but little brain, what other ways do you find out what happens with a worn front and new rear.

I’ve the same motorcycle , twin cam 2011, 40000 miles, always 2 rears to a front , never any issues , 2 up,solo,2 up and 3 boxes and always fitted Michelin pr,s .

On Twin Cam GSA, I find fronts last 30% longer than the rear dependant on brand.
My current Michelin Panakie 3 have done 9k so far with 3 mm left on the rear.
Other brands have given on average 6 - 7k per rear.

Having said that I would have something different next time. I guess you have to decide which tyres give the best combination of performance and wear, long life is not everything.

Having said that I would have something different next time. I guess you have to decide which tyres give the best combination of performance and wear, long life is not everything.

My S/C GSA is on STR's at the minute.
I love them for Road and Track Riding, not sure how they'll wear mind.....

My S/C GSA is on STR's at the minute.
I love them for Road and Track Riding, not sure how they'll wear mind.....
Keep looking at those... they look great. But as you say, wondering how they'll wear?! Might try them at some point!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

For what it's worth and risking another tyre thread, I converted to Conti Trail Attack 2s a while back, now on my second set of CTA 3s... For me at least, they are the best tyre I've had. I'm getting around 10k+ miles, maybe a tad more, from the rear - front is usually also sufficiently deformed by this point, so it's always a pair I but. I've been uber impressed with how long they maintain their profile and how long they last. Most of my riding is long haul stuff, on roads, loaded up.

For your new rear, you won't go wrong switching to A CTA3

+1.. CTA3 awesome

I never seem to manage to wear a set from new to bald. Same now, I have 4mm left on my rear CTA3 (after 5000 miles), but off to Spain soon. My rear tyre will be balder than Kojak's bonce by the time I get back so I will have to swap it early...

CTA3 is so confidence-inspiring. and wears well too. Remember as a learned friend from this parish said, the V rated has more tread when new than the W rated...so get V...

Good tip Martin, had not realised some speed rated tyres may have more tread when new, will probably get the TA3 as my Panakie 3 are quite squared off now, need to ride more twisty roads.

I am pretty sure that Avon Trailriders have a little more tread on them than other tyres I have used on same bikes. They also seem to square off less. Every manufacturer waffles on about dual compounds and so on but never noticed any difference other than the Avons.

Back
Top Bottom