Kurviger to Basecamp problem

BillWright

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi

I have created a route on Kurviger, that was easy.

However when I transfer it to Basecamp I just get straight I just get straight lines.

Every time I try to recalculate it, I get a red screen and the app crashes.

I tried splitting the route into smaller sections with he same result. The file is only 48KB.

Has anybody any suggestions please?

Attachments

• Hook of Holland - Channel Tunnel.gpx
    46.8 KB · Views: 28
Thank you for sharing the file, which makes things a lot easier.

Using my iPad I have displayed your route in Pocket Earth Pro, which is usually very good at sorting out any routes with problems. It too displays straight lines. This can only mean that when the route is transferred from Kurviger to say, BaseCamp or Pocket Earth, only the key viapoints are transferred. In other words, there is no trail of breadcrumbs between the points, hence the straight lines. I’d look at the type of file transfer you requested Kurviger to make.

ea2632058ccdcc6d7e63fe2f7ad12008.png

A forced recalculation in BaseCamp might fix it.

PS Ignore the other routes shown in the Pocket Earth screen shot. It’s where I keep some stuff, or where I want to quickly look at a route I have downloaded from somewhere or where I’ve helped other people. I empty it out from time to time.

I have now looked at the route in BaseCamp.

As I suspected in post #2, the problem seems to start with Kurviger or, more particularly, in the type of route you you asked Kurviger to create and share.

Here it is displayed in BaseCamp on my powerful Mac. As you’ll see the straight lines match those displayed in Pocket Earth. That’s a good thing as it probably serves to confirm my theory that it’s the way the route was created to share from Kurviger that is causing the problem. In short, I don’t think it is anything more than a route of straight lines between fixed via points. There are no breadcrumbs and, as such, nothing that any software can latch onto in order to shape the route along known roads.

98b9b4f063f35345047d30e845e095ff.jpg

I next changed driving modes to try to force a recalculation. It wouldn’t recalculate. This didn’t surprise me as I am sure the route lacks any breadcrumbs between the viapoints.

I then forced a recalculation by highlighting the all the viapoints and forcibly ordered a recalculation that way:

4263d8a2efb73b8fb4109933c7cb22e7.jpg

The recalculation started but (this didn’t surprise me either) it caused BaseCamp on a powerful Mac to crash:

388d8e5c99092152b95e7dd68231ff0e.jpg

Why didn’t it surprise me? That’s easy: It’s a very, very long route; I guess my Mac just ran out of processing power. That didn’t surprise me either as BaseCamp recalculations on a Mac have been running slow for a while for lots of people. Garmin have goes at fixing it but seem to be failing.

Suggestions:

1. Go back into Kurviger and play around with changing the type of file it creates when sharing.

2. The route is very long. Break it up or create a track version to display. This will save your PC / Mac possibly struggling to make changes. It’s too long to run on a Garmin device anyway but I can see why you might ask Kurviger to create it, just to get ideas as to roads to ride.

Let us know how you get on, please.

Haha, no problem.

Having just had my Mac update its operating system for a hour or more, I am now working on a solution.

Hi Richard

Many thanks for your in depth explanations.

I tries various combinations of export criteria, all with the same result, the Mac crashing.

I then followed your suggestion and split the route into the daily segments, as I would on Basecamp.

This worked perfectly using the settings shown on the screenshot. I can now replace my Kurviger L plates with a P

Once again, thank you for the effort put into this.

Bill

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-01-27 at 12.47.19.jpeg
    Screenshot 2022-01-27 at 12.47.19.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 76
A possible solution. It’s not perfect but I am having to guess a bit in Kurviger when it comes to exporting files. But, safe in the knowledge that I can’t break anything, here goes:

1. I hacked the OP’s route into Kurviger. It’s obviously not identical but it’ll do:

6fd7d7364ea8023b7402144af3eaddcf.jpg

2. I then chose to export it. Here I really just guessed. There may well be a better format to use. I did though tick the track option, as tracks are very basic and will stand quite a lot of abuse. I have circled the options I chose.

77b161acb60e31df5f1c5392633b07e8.jpg

3. I downloaded the file into BaseCamp on my Mac. Two things were immediately obvious:

i. The track had come through

ii. The route had come through in ‘Direct’ mode, ie. straight lines

2e230983815a729ad00fdefbfbbb44ef.jpg

4. Knowing that the track is probably fairly (or even, exactly) a trail of the Kurviger route, I changed its colour to blue. This is simply so that it stands out for what happens next.

5. I then brought up the properties of the ‘Direct’ (straight line) route

c57dc6246f8c6c828f5613c13c08441f.jpg

6. I then changed the routing method from ‘Direct’ to Motorcycle’. This I knew must force a route recalculation, as the BaseCamp software will try its best to match the route to known roads.

5fddfc7dc05cbdb95139a75fb039253d.jpg

7. BaseCamp tried its best but eventually crashed. This didn’t surprise me at all as the route is bloody long.

Thoughts…..

A. The OP now has a way to get at least the track into BaseCamp. If nothing else he could trace over it to create a route, as BaseCamp may well struggle to convert it itself into a route, simply due to its length.

B. There may well be a better file format or set of options to export the route from Kurviger. In other words, there might be a format that results in a shaped route arriving in BaseCamp, rather than a ‘Direct’ version. I didn’t bother to play around too much. Someone who uses Kurviger a lot might well know. I only use Kurviger and something like ViaMichelin - and a traditional map - for ideas; bespoke routes I create myself in BaseCamp and now MyRoute.

C. Very long routes - this is a classic example - are often very difficult to convert within BaseCamp as they sap memory and processing, even on big home computers.

D. I didn’t try converting the track into a route, within BaseCamp. Give that a go. If it crashes your computer, don’t worry, it won’t catch fire. If it works, great.

D. It might, I haven’t tried, be possible to bounce the Kurviger track through either the Garmin Drive or BMW Connect apps and use them to create a route. Then ping that route into BaseCamp.

E. It might well have been easier to ask BaseCamp to produce the route from day one. It is still a very powerful tool and is more than capable.

Please let us know how you get on OP. I always suggest just playing around until you find what works for you. Not least, I am using a Mac, whilst you are maybe using a PC; they sometimes work differently.

Richard

EDIT….

PS I see we crossed posts. I was over in Tapatalk, loading the screenshots.

Excellent that you have now found a workaround solution that works for you….. and that you use a Mac….. and use BaseCamp. My faith in humanity is restored. :beerjug:

Because I hade nothing better to do, while my apple crumble cooked, I loaded your GPX in to BC and sure enough, straight lines.

Open the route in the left pane and select a point, any point. I used the first one. Edit that to change the profile - a new one called Motorcycling - Curvy

BC the recalculates all the points and the result is:

Attachments

• Hook - Chunnel.gpx
    46.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Hook-Chunnel.JPG
    Hook-Chunnel.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 75
An even better solution. Thank you.

Interesting that just changing the properties of one point, changes the entire route, without a crash. When BaseCamp tries to do it all in one go, it runs in stages, divided (I guess) between the viapoints. It gets so far and then crashes. Bizarre (but good) that it does it smoothly, in one go, when just one point is chosen.

It would be interesting to see how the route created matches the track. Any mismatches (if the track version is adjudged to be the way someone wants to go) could be smoothed out in BasCamp with a bit of dragging around and shaping points.

I am going to have a look and try Redboots’ findings for myself.

PS A good thread the OP started, as it’ll doubtless be helpful to others.

....and select a point, any point. I used the first one. Edit that to change the profile - a new one called Motorcycling - Curvy...

How do you change the profile of an individual point, please?

Bizarre (but good) that it does it smoothly, in one go, when just one point is chosen.

Pure luck :D
I just selected one point to see what the result would be because all the points were flagged as not editable.

I learnt something:)

Pure luck :D
I just selected one point to see what the result would be because all the points were flagged as not editable.

I learnt something:)

It is odd as I can’t see a way to do it on my Mac.

Any chance of some screen shots, please.

How do you change the profile of an individual point, please?

Select the route in the left, lower pane with double click.
Select a point in the popup.
In that window, either in the Properties or Route Options tab, you can select the activity profile.

Now that I have a new profile, its difficult to replicate what I did the first time :blast

Just dropped the route into base camp hit recalculate and voila, did the same in map source and same result, as to whether it is going the way you want it to is another question.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 73
  • Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 69
This gets more bizarre by the minute.

I went back to the OP’s ‘Direct’ route that he shared in the opening post.

I highlighted all the viapoints

fced83f6afd418d2e69e6d2e22d205c8.jpg

I then asked BaseCamp to reverse the route. This it did very quickly and, at a quick glance, perfectly.

I now had the OP’s route but in reverse.

I then asked BaseCamp to reverse the reversed route. It got a long way through the process and then crashed.

Very strange that I seem to be able to do some things with the route but not others.

Welcome, Lee. I hoped you’d pop in.

You use a PC. I and the OP use a Mac. I wonder if there is some difference between them which stops the recalculation?

Select the route in the left, lower pane with double click.
Select a point in the popup.
In that window, either in the Properties or Route Options tab, you can select the activity profile.

Now that I have a new profile, its difficult to replicate what I did the first time :blast

Aha, you don’t get the option within a viapoint’s properties on a Mac.

Try these screenshots:
They don't display in the correct order but are named step1 through 4 and result.

Attachments

• step1.JPG
    step1.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 42
  • step2.JPG
    step2.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 41
  • step3.JPG
    step3.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 38
  • step4.JPG
    step4.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 42
  • result.JPG
    result.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 42
This gets more bizarre by the minute.

I went back to the OP’s ‘Direct’ route that he shared in the opening post.

I highlighted all the viapoints

fced83f6afd418d2e69e6d2e22d205c8.jpg

I then asked BaseCamp to reverse the route. This it did very quickly and, at a quick glance, perfectly.

I now had the OP’s route but in reverse.

I then asked BaseCamp to reverse the reversed route. It got a long way through the process and then crashed.

Very strange that I seem to be able to do some things with the route but not others.

On closer inspection (it’s always best to check) I notice that the reversed route has a glitch in it. It runs in two directions out on the eastern peninsula where the route starts to bend down to Berlin.

255be5cae65ad5bac86647bb210c5e7c.jpg

b02edddcbaf2cb0882b759c2f10c0b24.jpg

c608e39b4d49340ccb785f9d6f6d98f1.jpg

That though shouldn’t explain why BaseCamp crashes when trying to reverse the route back again, unless there is something very odd about the point that seems to be on the wrong carriageway of the motorway.

As far as I can see, the culprit is point A1:

94eb5638341385fa93942729310d36f2.jpg

I wonder what happens if I correct the error and then ask BaseCamp to reverse the reversed route…… No good, it still crashes when I ask BaseCamp to reverse the reversed route back again.

I can't answer that Richard as you know i use a pc. I have just asked basecamp to invert the route for me and again it did it without fault in about 5 seconds, as above i i do not know if it is the exact route the op wants to take as his settings may be different and there are miles with out waypoints so my settings may route a different way to his. but my inverted route looks to be the same as my first one .

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 35

Back
Top Bottom