New member (hello!) and new 1992 R100GS owner, "normal" factory cylinder head colour?

sidkn33

Reaction score
New member (hello!) and new 1992 R100GS owner, "normal" factory cylinder head colour?

Hello all,

I recently purchased a red 1992 R100GS and just noticed that my silver, quite rounded cylinder head ends are different to what appears to be a more common black and angular variant
More commonly black, based only on the R100/80 images I've seen on the internet, across most airhead models.
See attached images for examples.

Can anyone tell me why?

Thanks

Attachments

• 1987-R80GS black cylinder heaad.jpg
    1987-R80GS black cylinder heaad.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 336
  • 1987-R80GS.jpg
    1987-R80GS.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 354
The rounded (peanut) style rocker covers were common on older models. Your 1992 GS would have had the black more angular style originally. Theyre interchangeable, and quite a common swap. Down to personal choice really. The newer style covers are thicker and less prone to breaking or grinding through in a drop/slide.

I have a pair of the later ones if you would like to swap.

Thanks for the info - much appreciated.
So basically, on a 199x bike you would expect to see the black covers and if you don't, they've been swapped for the silver, older ones....
Thanks also for the offer, but I prefer the look of the silver ones - they may be a tad weaker, but I have engine bars!

Sid

The rocker covers will still interact with the road in a slide even with the engine bars fitted…. Not as bad as if the crash bars aren’t there.
Personally I like the peanut covers like you have.

Enjoy your new airhead

Mine is not pictured, but it's the red standard R100GS. It's not quite as tidy but it's pretty decent and I'll be applying some TLC this Spring.
So far it's proving to be just what I wanted - a cracking machine all round, substantial enough for distance riding but not as heavy as its more modern siblings.
I will have more questions for sure, but thanks everyone for your responses.

Sid

The peanut ones are much weaker, not just a tad…speaking from experience if going touring overseas I would recommend changing or taking some chemical metal with you…..otherwise fine for running around.

I would second Oldnfat, some of the pattern ones wouldn't survive a fall of the side stand, even with engine bars.
And with the stock GS side stand that is always a possibility!

I had a low speed off last year or so, on some ice. Had to be replaced as another lie down might go through.

Look nice when new and clean though. I have originals on my g/s though.

Attachments

• IMG_8825.jpg
    IMG_8825.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 152
I had a low speed off last year or so, on some ice. Had to be replaced as another lie down might go through.

Look nice when new and clean though. I have originals on my g/s though.

Looks like those aftermarket alloy sliders saved you from a long walk there tufty ;)

Back
Top Bottom