updating Nav 6 - on a Mac

nightflight61

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have recently been trying to update my Nav 6, but I've been having a problem with getting my laptop to recognise the sat nav. I tried it on my previous Mac book, and when I plugged it in, it just kept searching for the sat nav without finding it. I assumed the Mac book was getting a bit worn out, so I tried another one, but the same thing happened. I contacted Garmin, and they gave me a reset procedure to go through, but it still made no difference. I'm going to try it on a third Mac, so we'll see what happens then

Last edited by a moderator:
Not particularly helpful but works OK on my MacBook with Garmin Express V7.11.0.0.

Not particularly helpful but works OK on my MacBook with Garmin Express V7.11.0.0.

Not sure why some have issues. Works fine on my latest MacBook Air and the previous 2014 model. But I do have to use the garmin lead and once plugged in, I normally go off and browse the net for a bit until suddenly Express shows the device. But I have never in 8 years not been able to connect eventually.

I've found three things are important here.

1. the correct cable. Some after-market ones do work, others don't.
2. the correct hub/adapter. If your Mac doesn't have USB ports and you use and adapter, some work and others don't.
3. patience. Plug it in, check that the Nav goes into "storage" mode and when it does just walk away. Sometimes mine take 15 minutes to connect but it always does in the end

I've found three things are important here.

1. the correct cable. Some after-market ones do work, others don't.
2. the correct hub/adapter. If your Mac doesn't have USB ports and you use and adapter, some work and others don't.
3. patience. Plug it in, check that the Nav goes into "storage" mode and when it does just walk away. Sometimes mine take 15 minutes to connect but it always does in the end

That’s the way to do it, as Mr Punch said, before the PC brigade emasculated him.

Back
Top Bottom