Calling Wapping!!! Ideas West Coast of France -> RDGA -> West Coast.......

Calling Wapping!!! Ideas West Coast of France -> RDGA -> West Coast.......

The trouble with Cherbourg, is that it’s at the back end of nowhere. Once I was in Rencurel, on the eastern side of France, I’d have looked at returning via Calais. In other words, turning the jaunt into a crudely shaped U, with Caen and Calais at the ends. But hey, it is what it is and it looks like a great trip, EV.

I’m with Wessie on the idea of having one sacrificial day on a motorway, as it gives you more flexibility somewhere else in the holiday. For example, I once went on a great D road jaunt that would inevitably find myself in Dijon at around lunchtime. I knew I had to be in Calais by early evening to catch the train home. Rather than alter everything else, I just bit the bullet and joined the motorway after a quick lunch and was in Calais in time to catch my train. But, if that’s a no go idea, let’s look at what’s doable.

Antibes to Rencurel is (depending on which way you go) not less than 250 miles and not much over 300, so that’s OK, Rencurel to Cherbourg is (again depending on which way you go) is between 550 and 800 miles. Your ferry departure from Cherbourg is fixed for noon, meaning you probably need to be there by 10 AM, so a run in to the port that morning of no more than two to two and half hours is probably your only option. The challenging bit is just to break up the 550 to 800 miles between Rencurel and, say, Caen in two days, in order to have half a day to catch the ferry home.

Do you definitely want a day off or spent doing the the Vercours? I only ask, as sacrificing a day off there gives you a full extra day for Rencurel to Cherbourg’s 550 to 800 miles. If you do and it’s got to be two days to get to, say, Caen, then I’d look at roughly:

Day one: Rencurel to say Bourges, which is 250 miles

Day two: Bourges to Caen, which is again roughly 250 miles

All avoiding motorways but not taking every goat track.

Then your half day from Caen to Cherbourg.

That looks about right. It’s broadly the same as Wessie’s. That’s not surprising, as the route (assuming two days) has to be roughly a diagonal from the centre of the clock hands at Rencurel, out on an almost straight diagonal to Caen at roughly 10 o’clock.

c80acf0bfa5e5ee8a38041bc71fa4564.png

For planning any decent schlep across France, I always turn to the Michelin 726 map. It’s great as it cuts out all the ‘little stuff crap’. Sometimes too much detail on a map just serves to confuse. I cannot recommend it enough.

3bcc18adee1557a75ad964d3dd9e8ab0.png

Thank you Richard for going above and beyond with the recommendations. The route above is what kurviger thrown together for me and I have had similar propositions for the place to stay. However, I felt that the route was somewhat following our inbound journey albeit in reverse. So not really keen on repeating similar roads or locations as much as possible.

Wesses options are good, but as he has already mentioned, I will have in my care a "self loading luggage" to keep an eye and a keen ear on. Allot to go over and to make up my mind. That 726 map is a must purchase. Although I do have in my possession other (red) Michelin paper maps to look at too.

But, being one to never give up on alternatives, here’s an idea. It’s a bit more two sides of a very flat triangle, than the almost straight diagonal Wessie and I have proposed.

It’s Rencurel to roughly Auxerre to Caen.

c7982a8e685d396069367e65caed71a2.png

Rencurel to Auxerre is roughly 280 miles but I’d sling in some motorway (about 125 miles only) to skip past Lyon and up to say Macon. Then sort of on a diagonal to roughly Auxerre, across the western edge of the Morvan. Or, if you left Rencurel early after your day off, you could swerve a bit to the east, to go through the Morvan, which is great. Then pick up the A6 motorway west to skip into Auxerre or somewhere around there. Auxerre itself, is quite a nice town.

Auxerre to Caen is roughly 250 miles, avoiding motorways and goat tracks, so that works, too.

PS Why would I take the motorway past Lyon up to Macon? You want to miss Lyon, France’s second city if possible. It’s a great place but can be very busy. You are inevitably stuck by the Rhone river valley. You can D and N road it but they spent lots of money on building motorway for very good reasons. Accept their reasons.

Here’s what I sort of have in mind for the Rencurel to Auxerre bit:

ea1ec95486c3586a766227a5145cac96.png

And the bit of motorway I’d take to miss Lyon, to got to Macon:

63a55bd825a70b2d7c84ad581573e25e.png

Here’s the Morvan centre I’d maybe take:

bda7485a88e5f324ed334c1ccc770378.png

I am doing Rencurel to Quarré-les-Tombes in the Morvan in June. I will be taking the motorway past Lyon to Macon, simply as I want to spend some time in the Morvan before arriving at my hotel. I am then returning to the UK via Verdun and Calais, whilst you’ll be heading to Cherbourg.

Here’s Auxerre to Caen, which I simply asked ViaMichelin for, setting the preferences to:

cb977ae0a39d776bf55e8ab004b9bbbb.png

52e846157dd5932ecdd6ef8ae2bbd480.png

It’s actually pretty good as it avoids goat tracks. I quite like ViaMichelin as it’s routing algorithms are usually pretty good; certainly good enough to give you something to play around with.

This second option you come up with isn't to shabby, but then it will leave Leadfarmer out the equation, especially as he has kindly offered to put a kettle on. We also be coming across Morvan on our way to RDGA from the direction of Nevers, on day two, but that's ok. My only gripe would be, having to deal with Lyon cluster, as I have done so in the past and you are correct to say, that taking the motorway, is the best option in order to leave the area behind as quickly as possible.

Once again, I thank you for the time you put in to reply and to suggest, I will take some time to mull over the options and to play about with the maps.

EV

My apologies EV, I had muddled your route down with your route back.

In very crude terms, this is just about your only way back from Antibes, via Rencurel, via Le Puy to Caen in two days:

0d73c92ed8ddcc0699e40120c61f4b7a.png

In very crude terms, this is just about your only way back from Antibes, via Rencurel, via Le Puy to Caen in two days:

@ Wapping, Just for clarity, the Le Puy stop was just in case he’s passing this way and it’s not a working day, it wasn’t one of his objectives even though it is a very nice place to visit

@ EVskij, you are very welcome if you do decide to come this way :beerjug:

0d73c92ed8ddcc0699e40120c61f4b7a.png

I don’t think you have muddled anything at all Richard. The two day haunt to Caen Start on the morning of or last nights stay in Rencurel. So don’t worry yourself with any muddling up.

I have three options to chose from.
1. A recommended and near identical route by Google Maps, Kurviger and ViaMichelin. That route is a more or less straight as an arrow skirting on in some instances taking me through the Saint-Étienne, onto Vichy, Bourges, north of Le Mans and eventually Caen.

2. Is to head south west from Rencurel towards Le Puy, then through the Parc naturel régional Livradois-Forez toward Vichy or head out of Le Puy a bit more west and ride through Parc naturel régional des Volcans d'Auvergne and stay as suggested by [mention]wessie [/mention] near or in the Clermont-Ferrand, after around 280-290 mile day. Then jump onto the Autoroute, planning a lunch stop in Bourges, then skirting north of Le Mans and eventually arriving to Caen after circa 400 miles on day two.

3. Is your recommended route. Heading north out of Rencurel for Lyon and skirting it via a motorway up-to Mâcon, then head north west to Auxerre through the Park Naturel Regional du Morvan. Then onto Caen via the motorway network.

In summary:
Option one is most sensible, in terms of distance and not having to get onto the motorways and being able to complete it in the required time frame. However we would be riding through same region and potentially same roads and towns as the week earlier.

Option two, would see us visit regions previously not visited, allow us to pay a visit to [mention]leadfarmer [/mention] and sample his finest cuppa,(thanks for the beer though) but would add over a 100 miles to a total journey and result in playing catch up on the motorway the following day. Something that I am not agains as anti climax following a weeks worth of riding twisties, would make western France seem like a never ending whitewashed corridor.

Option three, is essentially similar to option two, just a different part of France, albeit previously visited Morvan) a week earlier by cutting across it. Beyond then, it is basically a shlep on the motorway.

I thank you all for coming up with the suggestions, it is down to me now, to suss out what would suit us best. I am just like wessie, if I am out on my own, I can keep that throttle cracked open for 400 miles, but the “self loading luggage” would not be in same state of arousal. Hence carefully planned days off the bike and allowing for the SWMBO to enjoy the beach and walks in the valleys of Vercors. If it was me on my own, beach would be the last thing on my mind. Braaap.

@ Wapping, Just for clarity, the Le Puy stop was just in case he’s passing this way and it’s not a working day, it wasn’t one of his objectives even though it is a very nice place to visit

@ EVskij, you are very welcome if you do decide to come this way :beerjug:

That’s right, as we are likely to be passing through Le Puy on Wednesday at lunchtime, you might be at work…. So it is only a visit if you’d be around. Otherwise perhaps a lunch stop then on we go.

I would also be tempted to have a "blast day" to buy an extra day on the good bits, we did 4 days from Calais to RDGA a few years back going via the Volcannes, Millau, Tarn Gorge, Mont Ventoux and Gorge du Verdon - with just the 1st day being (nearly) all motorway to Auxere, day 2 was great with just an hour or so of Motorway.

I think you can ride the "Best bits" of RDGA in 2 days, we now skip the bit from Menton to Sospel, preferring to base around Barcelonnette for 3 nights and ride a couple of circular routes, the problem with just riding RDGA is you miss a lot, for example you could take any of these at one point:

La Bonnette
Col de la Cayolle
Col du Allos
Col de Larche
Col di Sampeyre

They all run parallel, are all worth riding, you also have Col de Valberg / Col de la Couillole, Col di Lombarde and Gorge du Daluis nearby - blasting past all this in a single day seem crazy to me having traveled so far to get there...

...And Gorge du Verdon is also witin striking distance of a day out.

I have put some ride-outs from Barcelonnette here:

https://www.myrouteapp.com/profile/routes/485#981738/name/asc

And a bit further up there is a great 7 pass loop around Mont Blanc which is well worth a day out;

https://www.myrouteapp.com/route/open/229925

So we would ride up RDGA in 2 days, but want at least an extra 2 days for ride-outs and ideally more.

We then skip a bit at the very top, once we have ridden Cormet de Roseland we think it starts becoming more congested and less spectacular so peel off towards to North of Annecy and then head into the Doubs on our way home.

The Vercors is a place where you can do the "bulk" of it by riding a big loop around the mountain, not a single road goes over it, so you can cover the majority of the major / well known passes in a single day, but you can also spend a few happy days exploring some alternate roads, but will be a fair bit of repetition of some sections.

So for me at least 3 nights in Barcelonnette (or nearby) to give 2 days out, and if possible 2 nights around Bourg S-M to do the 7 pass loop, but having done this a few times we tend to spend more time around Barcelonnette if it is limited.

Heading out / back we ten to use Morvan on way down and Doubs / Luxembourg / Ardennes on way back. Heading out 1st day is blast to Troyes, then back roads rest of the way, on way back we can get most the way back with minimal main roads - once around Chimay it is getting very flat, boring, built-up and at that point we do the last couple of hours to Calais on the Motorway.

Back
Top Bottom