Garmin is crap - Will a phone / TomTom suit me?

Exodus61

Reaction score
I've read on a few posts across GS forums that a screen protector might help preserve these.
Given that the Touch Screen end may be "open" according to the German Website, a protector might help to seal it?

I've emailed them to see what evidence they can give to support the fix they offer.

That is why boys and girls some of use a quality phone and pay £12.99 for tomtom with downloadable maps. You can even create routes on ya laptop and send it to ya phone.

Had a Garmin 660, 5 & 6. all had issues. Nearly pulled the trigger on one from halfords in the sale and then reminded myself that my phone setup just works perfectly.
Can search hotels from google/booking.com and open a route via tomtom.

No stress, No drama, Waterproof with high quality quadlock setup. Given that most need a phone and upgrade every 2 or 3 years - no brainer.

Evan Charlie Boreman is advertising quadlock solution.:D

That is why boys and girls some of use a quality phone and pay £12.99 for tomtom with downloadable maps. You can even create routes on ya laptop and send it to ya phone.

Had a Garmin 660, 5 & 6. all had issues. Nearly pulled the trigger on one from halfords in the sale and then reminded myself that my phone setup just works perfectly.

No stress, No drama, Waterproof with high quality quadlock setup. Given that most need a phone and upgrade every 2 or 3 years - no brainer.

I agree these nav vi units are shit, I don't really care about the wonder wheel, it's a nice to have not a must. I will not be buying another one. However if garmin are going to keep sending me free replacements, then I will carry on. I like others always carry my phone, I would like rely on my phone, as a satnav, they are now more than capable and easy enough to keep powered up by usb + lead.
my only worry is would a phone be ok with the constant vibration for a 2500 mile tour and are they waterproof against water under pressure, i.e. rain driving against it.
it does become a pain in the arse trying to operate them with gloves on, but TBF if you have uploaded a route, why would one need to touch the phone.
When this latest unit gives up, I will get another replacement, sell it on as garmin refurbished, I would not be dishonest and from then on use my phone. I really wish this satnavs worked correctly, alas it's not to be and we just remain being sent refurbished units that were originally sent back to Garmin for the very same issues, round and round and round

pressed post before I'd finished. what I will ask is how do you manage to get tomtom for £12.99, at the moment it's £19.99 for 12 months, but that would still be 7 years worth the cost of Garmin replacement, under normal replacement parameters.

pressed post before I'd finished. what I will ask is how do you manage to get tomtom for £12.99, at the moment it's £19.99 for 12 months, but that would still be 7 years worth the cost of Garmin replacement, under normal replacement parameters.

It must have gone up. I renewed at 12.99 in Dec 21.
Re phone mount. Quadlock do a suspension mount, and I have used my s21 ultra for thousands of miles with no problem

I've read on a few posts across GS forums that a screen protector might help preserve these.
Given that the Touch Screen end may be "open" according to the German Website, a protector might help to seal it?

I've emailed them to see what evidence they can give to support the fix they offer.

You have read posts that it works. So why not go ahead and do it for yourself? If it works, great. If it doesn’t, you’ll know that it doesn’t. Report back when you find out, please.

It must have gone up. I renewed at 12.99 in Dec 21.
Re phone mount. Quadlock do a suspension mount, and I have used my s21 ultra for thousands of miles with no problem

I did a bit of research last night and noticed the anti-vibration mount for quad-lock, this makes it quite attractive. albeit £70 for the whole shebang +£20 for the maps.
might be a good idea to do 30-day trial for my tours in summer.

I had a look at tomtom on App Store just now and it still shows as £19.99 for 1 year, that's for tomtom go. but TBF even that is not a great deal of money. I may well invest in this quad-lock stuff and use my phone as a back-up for when the Garmin fails mid-tour. I will of course have to do many hours research into how to put my planned routes into the tomtom app. sure there will be info on here somewhere. or like most things I do, just give it go and work it out.
go to be careful or this thread will turn away from the original,

I did a bit of research last night and noticed the anti-vibration mount for quad-lock, this makes it quite attractive. albeit £70 for the whole shebang +£20 for the maps.
might be a good idea to do 30-day trial for my tours in summer.

I had a look at tomtom on App Store just now and it still shows as £19.99 for 1 year, that's for tomtom go. but TBF even that is not a great deal of money. I may well invest in this quad-lock stuff and use my phone as a back-up for when the Garmin fails mid-tour. I will of course have to do many hours research into how to put my planned routes into the tomtom app. sure there will be info on here somewhere. or like most things I do, just give it go and work it out.
go to be careful or this thread will turn away from the original,

Would have PM you but you do not paid subscriber - which is highly recommended!

Create an account here on tom tom website and useing the same login details as you will do with the app. Create a route, save and select sync.

https://mydrive.tomtom.com/en_gb/#+viewport=56.80544,-5.53468,6.53,0,-0+ver=3

….go to be careful or this thread will turn away from the original

I think you’ve successfully managed that.

I’ll do a bit of editing at some point and start you a fresh thread to explore the delights of phone / TomTom navigation. One tip, never drop your phone mid-trip and smash the screen or you’ll be fecked.

I use co pilot as my tab nav mapping

It's display work better for me

The best one was a truck nav sytem but they wanted stupid money for a years use £70 odd

I think you’ve successfully managed that.

I’ll do a bit of editing at some point and start you a fresh thread to explore the delights of phone / TomTom navigation. One tip, never drop your phone mid-trip and smash the screen or you’ll be fecked.

No different to a twat nav:D Although the twat nav is more likely malfunction.

Use a cheap burner phone from eBay and forget about vibes etc. If your app needs internet just hotspot it from the good phone in your pocket …

Get a decent Samsung and the Quadlock anti-vibe set up (I also have the weatherproof case/cover thing, although the S20 and S21 are waterproof etc and I've never used it), TomTom app is brilliant, live mapping, speed cameras, etc.

No different to a twat nav:D Although the twat nav is more likely malfunction.

Break your sat nav (which really is pretty robust) and you lose your sat nav only.

Break your (comparatively) fragile phone, you lose your sat nav device AND your phone.

I broke my phone’s screen (the first I have ever broken since mobile phones first became widely available in the 80’s) just a week ago, when I let it slip through my fingers. A momentary lapse of concentration on a cold day, putting it into the BMW cradle on my 850. I was at home, ironically only going out to test the beta version of BMW’s Connected app. Had I been up an Alpine pass or on some small D road in France, I’d have been royally fecked.

For those that want to mount a phone, you can get one with wireless charging, (for compatible phones).

Holder 2 wc

Back
Top Bottom