Tolls on US roads

shakey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Help..!

What’s the score with toll roads in the USA ?

I have a friend in Delaware that has told me that a lot of roads in the east have gone boothless.

It reminds me that i have no idea about toll roads in the states. How does that system work? Do bikes even have to pay?

Is there a pre pay or a similar thing to the Emovis tag for French toll roads that i can get sorted in the next six weeks?

Please enlighten me all you experienced travellers

Geeze they don’t make it easy if your going coast to coast. That’s three or four transponders to sort out.

That said, i have a p[lan to avoid the interstate roads so are tolls a problem on those roads?

QUOTE=squibb34;6232138]It's fast evolving as I understand it & not many of us will have had the opportunity to tour in the US since 2019.

Toll Guru seems to give us the facts though: -

........... https://tollguru.com/toll-wiki/us-toll

SgtBilko will be along shortly.[/QUOTE]

Geeze they don’t make it easy if your going coast to coast. That’s three or four transponders to sort out.

That said, i have a p[lan to avoid the interstate roads so are tolls a problem on those roads?
No. For the most part, toll roads are only dual carriageway or bigger (what we call freeways or interstates over here), and even then, only on some of them. A paper map or road atlas will usually show you which ones these are. Also, bridges and tunnels in major metro areas like San Francisco and New York City will have tolls.

Here in California if you don't have Fastrak and you go over a toll bridge they'll just send you the bill based on your license plate. Or you can go online and pay it directly, so you don't really need the Fastrak here. There's no fine involved as long as you pay up within a specified period of time.

As dirty1 says toll roads are marked on maps and other than in major metro areas tolls are easily avoided, especially on roads that are typically used to tour on by motorcycle.

Thanks for the responses. I am intent on avoiding freeways and interstates wherever possible and seeing some of the more scenic routes so tolls don’t seem to be something that i really need to worry about. Thanks for putting my mind to rest, one less thing to plan for.

As dirty1 says toll roads are marked on maps and other than in major metro areas tolls are easily avoided, especially on roads that are typically used to tour on by motorcycle.

Back
Top Bottom