Phone for USA

JJH

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My phone roaming plan doesn’t include the USA. The last time I was there I bought a phone with airtime. I have a good iPhone so I’m wondering is it possible just to buy a SIM card and get data ect mostly for maps. Or can I download maps to google? I don’t want to find myself with a huge phone bill when I get home. JJH

been a while since I did it but, you can get a usa card either from a US company shipped here or from a UK company, £30 ish unlimited 30 days, however I just went into the first phone shop I found leaving the airport and bought a sim card with calls and data PAYG, I was working there and needed one for 6 months but there were loads on offer.
Just be aware that it used to be the case that you paid to receive calls in the US so that came out of any call allowance, I think it has changed now but check if you get something that has limited minutes.
For a tech advanced country the telephone system is feck up or was as I say has been a few years, local calls from normal phones was fine but out of area constant request for who your long distance carrier was, the advantages of subscriber trunk dialling seemed to have passsed the USA by, in the end just used a mobile for everything it was way easier, it was a bit like going back to the 60's with a and b buttons in the telephone box very weird

You'll be able to buy a SIM card no problem. Just pop into a Wallmart abd they will have a selection.

Mobile coverage in the US is sketchy at best with their networks. I've tried them all over the years and despite claims they cover the whole country they really don't.

I'd take a cheap sat nav if all you want is mapping and routing.

Thanks. I’d forgotten I had TomTom so I just downloaded lt to my phone and got USA €3.99 a month. Hopefully that’s all Ill need. Ill get a SIM card and put it in a spare phone. Just for emergencies. Normal calls can be done on wyfi. JJH

I have been looking at the same thing for an 8 week trip in April. The reviews that i have been reading suggest that T-Mobile have the best coverage and the best value sim. You can buy now on Amazon for £35 that will give you unlimited data. Calls and texts but only for 21 days. You can set the start date to make the sim active so you can buy weeks before the trip and activate as and when you land in the USA. You can top up apparently but not sure what the top up costs are on the go.

I am planning on buying one as there is lots of good reviews etc.

In recent years, I have found less and less need for a sim card when travelling.
Every hotel I have stayed in over the last 5 years has had super WiFi, and I just use whatsapp. Do all my yarning in the hotel.

Back
Top Bottom