On the French and Italian border - La Condamine-Châtelard

Wapping

Reaction score
Two, in fact three, separate jaunts that I picked up from the Motorrad magazine’s website. They’d make a change from just going to the coast again.

3b733f421921bbf8d4dae05bb01d621e.png

c017864c10620b9b81bacabcea7378d6.png

Download the routes and the PDF here:

https://www.motorradonline.de/reise...-grenzgebiet-zwischen-italien-und-frankreich/

You can see how the routes join up with other suggestions:

54f3e5664b6a887e5b2150fd6c568a83.png

Tap around, you can’t break it and just save the bits you want.

Very similar to Simon Weir route in his excellent book of euro routes, actually doing the bonette one from the book this year. As part of the RDGA trip. Looks amazing on street view.
Cheers for this , no bad roads around the area :okay

Currently sorting routes out for an end of May jaunt down to Monaco area, plan is to drop into Europoort from Hull, down through Germany, across Switzerland and do RdGA on the way down, rest a few days then Route Napoleon back up, poss touch Germany again, then Lux and a run back to Europoort, about 10 days across the water.
Will check these out, thanks Richard
Are there any accommodation recommendations in there, need to find somewhere near bourge st Maurice for four of us…

Bourg St Maurice is a big ski centre, alive with hotels.

Indeed it’s a big town as you say - but we chose something a little quieter

We stayed near to Bourg ….up at a charming tiny village of Peisey Nancroix - set amongst the larger resorts of Les Arcs ski area

This was the hotel, Chalet La Tarine - good rooms and food and had a roof terrace for al fresco dining, overlooking the surrounding mountains

http://www.latarine.com

Stayed at the same place as JohnnyBoxer can recomend it food good nice peaceful village.

Attachments

• IMG_5242.jpg
    IMG_5242.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_5243.jpg
    IMG_5243.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 140
Stayed at the same place as JohnnyBoxer can recomend it food good nice peaceful village.

Good one, liked it too

I found it (maybe a recommendation from here) and stayed there with Micky and a few others

(Nowhere near the route that Wapping is recommending in post #1 though 1)

No problem, JB.

I know the routes I copy and paste from a magazines are not always perfect, not least as many routes (sometimes over many miles) rarely are. My hope is that they give bods an idea as to:

A. What might be a different destination, rather than retreading the ‘safe’ holidays that other people have done so many times before.

B. To show what is published out there, often for free and obtainable just with a bit of surfing about.

If they are enough to spark someone to say, “Yup, I’ll go to Cologne, instead of Baden Baden” and give it a go, great.

I also quite like the way the posts sometimes throw-up other things, sometimes not connected at all. The hotel in this thread for example. I can then cut the bits out and copy / move a part into another section, just as I have done with the hotel, cross posting it into the accommodation sub-section, giving it a title which should turn up in a search.

No problem, JB.

I know the routes I copy and paste from a magazines are not always perfect, not least as many routes (sometimes over many miles) rarely are. My hope is that they give bods an idea as to:

A. What might be a different destination, rather than retreading the ‘safe’ holidays that other people have done so many times before.

B. To show what is published out there, often for free and obtainable just with a bit of surfing about.

If they are enough to spark someone to say, “Yup, I’ll go to Cologne, instead of Baden Baden” and give it a go, great.

I also quite like the way the posts sometimes throw-up other things, sometimes not connected at all. The hotel in this thread for example. I can then cut the bits out and copy / move a part into another section, just as I have done with the hotel, cross posting it into the accommodation sub-section, giving it a title which should turn up in a search.

Yep
All Useful little points to make up a trip
Somebody will though something up that’s ‘left field’ and turns up a gem
Like your recent Stelvio thread

The off road Parpaillon route is well worth doing, although it gets busy at the weekends with 4x4s. It’s doable on road tyres and 2 up.
Having said that it’s a few years since we’ve done it, I do hope it hasn’t changed.

BSM is OK, there is a nice Hotel on the outskirts of the town, Hotel L'Autantic

http://www.autantic.fr/bourg-st-maurice/

Very nice, big garage for bikes if your one of those Brits who think every European citizen wants to nick your bike, pool to cool off in and only about 10 minutes walk to the nice old part of town where there is a great selection of bars and restaurants.

Or something a bit different is this:

https://hotel-belvedere.net/en/

On a Hairpin just up on the start of the Petite St Bernard, in hot weather it is a bit cooler as BSM site in a low bowl and can be really hot and a bit muggy, you can sit and watch bikes coming around the two hairpins it sits on, view from Hotel is very nice, and it is a traditional family owned (for last 100 years or so) place, food was good, hosts very nice.

Both Hotels are great and would happily to go back to either of them, personally we prefer the more rustic out of town Belvedere, but if you like being in a larger town the Autantic is very good, not many places with good parking in town (or at least not when I last looked)

Belvedere has a garage, but the @30 or so blokes I stayed with all parked their bikes out front and amazingly they were all there the next day, my buddy who arranged it has stayed there many times in large groups and not once have any of the bikes vanished in the night, but the owner has a garage if you really feel that insecure with your pride and joy not locked away - or just put a cheapo disc lock on it and all the other bikes parked there will be way easier targets ;-)

I have copied the hotel suggestions into the accommodation sub-section. Hopefully they’ll be useful to others, too.

Back
Top Bottom