BaseCamp routes creating straight lines in my Nav V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck finding the cause Guys, I admire your commitment!!

Some comments that may help your fault finding:-

Regarding my original post, when we go on tours I always create the routes in basecamp in the evening. I then connect everyone's satnav to my computer at breakfast and download the day's routes via Basecamp (or Mapsourse in the dark ages).

I've done this for years using a combination of Mapsource and Basecamp on a MAC and a PC, to Garmin Zumo 550, Zumo 660, Zumo 595, Nav 4, Nav 5, Nav 6 and most of the time all is OK but sooner or later someone's satnav will show the problem the OP sees.

Re-calculating the route using a different profile always fixes it.

For the rest of the trip the devices that showed the problem continue to do so every morning which tells me that the problem is with the device, not Basecamp / Mapsource preferences.

One of our group had the problem on a tour. After he got home he reset his satnav to factory settings and reloaded his maps. Next time I uploaded the route it was fine.

Interestingly I also publish routes for our groups regular Sunday Rides as GBD and GPX files on my website, no one has reported the spiky problem when using those routes.

I've wasted a few hours trying to find the root cause, but once I found the easy fix I lost the will to dig any deeper. I guess its a lazy 'treat the symptoms not the cause' solution but I decided my time was better spent riding the routes I created :)

As with Lee, I loaded the Spanish route into BaseCamp on my Mac. No matter what I did, I could not create any spikes or indeed, alter the route at all. Similarly, I cannot replicate any spikes when sending it from BaseCamp straight into my Navigator V.

One thing you might like to check is the format you are exporting the file in:

bccd3455c2a021825d03adbeb768d880.jpg

Maybe as TonyZZR has suggested a full system restore to factory settings and a re install of the maps to the device. try it you cant make it any worse. and the fault appears to be with the unit and not basecamp as you say it shows all good in that.

Boys, your enthusiasm and determination are worthy of...Jeez I don't know....Moto 2 winners! If you think I need to reset the Nav and remove maps and re-install I'll need a step by step Muppets guide (think Stadler or Waldorf rather than Kermit's nephew). Regarding my current issue getting the laptop to talk to the Nav, my IT department in Belgium weren't much help - possible cable problem, possible settings problem. I suspect the attitude was probably driven by an incompatible "work laptop"/"personal satnav" interface! (This is my pathetic attempt to speak the language of the IT person.) A colleague mentioned that perhaps the satnav driver had disappeared and then was no help with an explanation nor a practical solution. (?)

I would like to do the reset/reload thing please so can someone produce a guide? Many thanks again for all your work thus far! :beerjug:

Thinking about it some more. The only time I occasionally see a route with spikes (multiple dead straight lines going off to single points, all sprouting off from the original route), crazy long distances and bonkers times, is sometimes when I download a route from one of the German magazines or some other third party source. It doesn’t happen very often. I can’t find an example at the moment but I know I have seen them.

I think the reason is that the download arrives with a file extension that is not .gpx or .gdb

This makes me wonder if the OP is maybe exporting the route from BaseCamp into his Navigator V, in the wrong format or with a dodgy file extension. See post #23.

How to do a hard reset on a Garmin device.

This is one of the simplest guides around, as it shows two safe and reliable methods.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Sc8VPJkZsA8" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My advice would be to watch the video through once (or even twice) just to get a feel for the - very easy - steps you’ll be taking. Then get used to pausing the video and / or rewinding whilst you carry out the actions. Just follow the instructions; the device won’t catch fire, blow up or melt.

One tip: Fully charge the device BEFORE you do the hard reset. It’s just plain annoying to do the reset and then have the device run out of juice.

The hard reset will not erase the maps, so you won’t lose them. If you need to reinstall the maps, we can deal with that separately.

If there is an SD card in the device, take it out. As yours is a Nav V, the maps (assuming you updated them at some time in the past) are probably on the SD card.

On restart following a hard reset, the device might take a little while to fire up again. Don’t panic, just let it do its stuff.

Now put the SD card back in. Now fully shut down the device down again and then restart the device again.

I would then test it by creating a fresh trial run route in BaseCamp, similar to the Spanish one you created.

Has all this mended your problem? If it has, great. If it hasn’t return for additional assistance.

PS You are starting to mix topics in one thread, mixing “My work laptop can’t see my Garmin device” into a thread about “My Garmin device is displaying routes with spikes”. It is hard enough keeping tabs on one topic, let alone two. Later today or tomorrow I have edited this thread, to create you a fresh thread devoted to “My work laptop can’t see my Garmin device”.

PPS It is not the greatest idea to use your work PC for private use. Why? Some companies can and do put bespoke firewalls and other safeguards in place which will prevent unauthorised access to some websites, devices and software, particularly downloads. Laptops and home computers are ‘cheap’, buy one.

Richard

I can agree with you Richard about a dodgy route from somewhere like one of the German sites being recalculated and then giving spurious spikes, but does this route we have looked at not come straight from basecamp, or am i mistaken.

Indeed it does, which is exactly what is so odd. It’s almost as if the device is receiving a corrupt route from BaseCamp or the device is unable to correlate the perfectly good route against the map.

I had a similar issue yesterday on my Zumo XT
When transfering the route from basecamp to the xt it stated that the map used on the unit were different from the basecamp map and did I want to recalculate the route.
If I choose yes the route went haywire with spikes straight lines etc if I choose no it displayed perfect.

Might be totally different but might be of help.

Rustle, it is clear that you can create a perfectly good route in BaseCamp. I think it’s worthwhile sticking with trying to find the cause of your problem, even if you have the cure.

Can you do us a favour and confirm to us, please:

A. The maps installed into BaseCamp on your PC. Do this WITHOUT the Nav V being connected, please.

B. The maps installed and active on your Navigator V.

As per posts #2, #30 and others, it is possible that there is a misfit between the maps. In other words:

1. If you create a route in BaseCamp in your PC, without the Nav V connected, BaseCamp will use the version of the map installed on your PC.

2. When you connect your Nav V to your PC and send the route across, it is possible that the map installed on your Nav V is different. On import into the Nav V, some calculation / recalculation is always necessary but, if the maps differ, this recalculation can be extreme, rendering up an unusable route. This is not always the case but it can happen. Think of it like drawing a route on a paper Michelin map with a highlighter pen, then copying the same highlighted route onto another Michelin map of the same scale but with much less detail; you sometimes couldn’t do it exactly.

It is not definite that a misfit in the maps is the cause but it’s an easy one to investigate.

Let us know what you find, please.

Nav 5 maps - Software 3.50. Basecamp - do I go to "Maps"? If so then it's City Navigator Europe NTU 2021.1. Since these aren't the same numbers can I/we assume this is the problem? How come it doesn't update Basecamp and the Nav unit at the same time when they are connected? How come the UK maps now and for the past 2 years have worked perfectly and only the France/Spain ones are wacky? How do I update maps on Basecamp alone?

Best wishes, Stadler (or Waldorf?)

Richard, as an aside, I did some research yesterday with a view to buying a personal laptop! Money still in pocket currently.

You have to select update maps on computer and device in garmin express or it will just update maps on unit as its default. check the picture below

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 337
Nav 5 maps - Software 3.50. Basecamp - do I go to "Maps"? If so then it's City Navigator Europe NTU 2021.1..

OK, thank you.

On your Nav V you have ‘five maps’. What are these five maps called?

Are all five maps ticked?

How come it doesn't update Basecamp and the Nav unit at the same time when they are connected?

For a number of years, owners have had to chose between:

1. Update the maps on just the device

2. Update the maps on just the PC

3. Update the maps on the device AND the PC

I always chose option 3. Why? That way, I can create routes in BaseCamp without having to attach my Garmin device each time. As and when I do connect the device, I know that the maps are the same on the device and on my Mac, as they were all updated at the same time.

I then have the preference settings the same on my device as I have on my Mac. In essence, I have very few preferences ticked. Basically, I only select: Avoid U-turns, avoid dirt tracks.

That way, when I export a route from my Mac to my device, it should export perfectly. Even so, I always check each route I create and install, before I leave home, checking the route on the device against the route on my Mac.

How come the UK maps now and for the past 2 years have worked perfectly and only the France/Spain ones are wacky?

A while ago there was a glitch whereby the detailed maps for only the north of Europe were installed on Garmin devices. The detailed maps for the south (basically anything south of a line drawn near enough a bit south of Calais) were not installed. This glitch was mended in a subsequent update.

If you have not fully updated your Nav V, it is possible - and this is a real guess - that the detailed map for the south of Europe is not present on the device OR it is not turned on ie does not have a tick against it. That MIGHT explain your problem.

Besides checking in the system screens, you can check whether the detailed maps are present (but not their version number) by using the map screen of your device. Here’s how:

A. Go to the map screen.

B. Pull the map around by hand and zoom in on London or Birmingham or on any small village. Are all the small streets shown and named?

C. Now pull the map to say, Sweden and zoom in on say Stockholm or Gothenburg or a small town or village. Are all the small streets shown and named?

D. Now pull the map to say Madrid or Lisbon or Rome or a village. Are all the small streets shown and named?

What we are asking you to do is:

1. To ensure that the full sets of detailed maps are installed on your PC and on your device.

2. That they are all active on your PC and on your device.

3. That all the detailed maps match ie. they are the same version on on your PC and on your device.

Wappers and Lee... you deserve ‘a gong’, or a gonk, whichever you prefer. :thumby:

These maps are all ticked on the satnav -

CN Europe NTU 2022.20 ALL South
same but ALL North
Europe DEM
CN Europe NTU 2022.20 Basic 3D

Ref your ABCD - Manchester, Oslo, Madrid - named streets are clearly shown when zoomed in.

Leedude - I don't think I've ever seen that screen ie one offering 3 ways of updating. I have updated Basecamp and the NAV 5 recently and, again, just now and both are claimed to be the latest versions. The update to Basecamp initially suggested many hours would be required but of course the updated material was less than required so it took about 40 mins or less. When it finished and I had returned to the screen, there was a message in red stating that there was an error in the update. (What that was I don't know). Also, after many fruitless attempts to connect to the laptop over the past few days it suddenly did so. I downloaded the Test route Spain to the Nav and, unfortunately, still the same ridiculous route/time. Most importantly I have a message in a yellow strip across the top of the laptop screen advising "Routes sent to BMW etc were recalculated because "they was" (sic) calculated on a map that is not installed on the device."

G & T - you are correct! The temptation on my part is to give up since I'm so baffled by it all which would allow these talented people to sort out other peoples problems.

Rustle,

I have a Mac (not a PC) so the maps MIGHT be different but what I see when it comes to maps is:

On my Mac:

City Navigator Europe NTU 2022.2 (I updated these when I bought my XT)

On my Nav V:

CN Europe NTU 2022.10 ALL South

CN Europe NTU 2022.10 ALL North

Europe DEM

CN Europe NTU 2022.1 Basic 3D

To find the full list on your Nav V and to tick the maps, go:

Home Screen > Settings > Map & Vehicle > Scroll down > myMaps installed maps

Note: These on the Nav V I need to update, as they are one generation behind. I simply haven’t used it recently.

On your device, are the maps you list in post #36 ticked with a green tick? They should be. If they are not, tick them. What maps do yiu see on your PC? From what you are saying, I think your maps on your PC need updating to match those on your Nav V.

BINGO!

I have just imported your Spanish route, from my Mac (with its 2022.2 maps) directly into my Nav V with its 2022.1 maps and…… it imports as being 431 miles long (not 159 miles) taking 7 hours 10 minutes. The magenta line does not match the roads. It has spikes, too. I can at least now replicate the problem.

b4db057bd7a6c88d03bd46c10274ea83.jpg

35ca7a5896e24858f553f0975351a9f9.jpg

If I ask the device to recalculate the route, it realigns itself to be 160 miles (good enough) in 3 hours 15 minutes (believable). Similarly, there is now no spikes and the magenta line has snapped properly onto the roads.

a43ed0d6a1ca3559763e16155f2148c7.jpg

dde6713c5391b07e0645fa4b40179118.jpg

a24eb8635ef9034ccb402bcdab101975.jpg

I am now going to:

A. Update the maps on my Nav V so that they match those in BaseCamp on my Mac

B. Delete the Spanish route on my Nav V

C. Reimport it

Except….. bugger me….. Garmin Express (which my Mac tells me needs an update) now has a problem…..

fc4dcdfc1cdd8310d2af10a933f6329f.jpg

The Garmin Express 403 error message is now mended, with help from the internet. It seems it’s a problem with the latest update, starting sometime in February.

Now the Nav V is updating its maps….. patience a little longer.

Feck me….. nothing is simple today….. I now have an error message that the SD card in my Nav V is full. As Garmin Express can’t or won’t overwrite I will have to find a new card or format the old one.

Bloody hell, this is getting worse…… Now I am told that the brand new card is incompatible. Formatted to FAT 32 as standard, so I have no idea what is wrong with it. Nothing, is the simple answer.

It’s one of those days!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom