Good hotel near Bourg St Maurice

Popell

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Currently sorting routes out for an end of May jaunt down to Monaco area, plan is to drop into Europoort from Hull, down through Germany, across Switzerland and do RdGA on the way down, rest a few days then Route Napoleon back up, poss touch Germany again, then Lux and a run back to Europoort, about 10 days across the water.
Will check these out, thanks Richard
Are there any accommodation recommendations in there, need to find somewhere near bourge st Maurice for four of us…

Bourg St Maurice is a big ski centre, alive with hotels.

Indeed it’s a big town as you say - but we chose something a little quieter

We stayed near to Bourg ….up at a charming tiny village of Peisey Nancroix - set amongst the larger resorts of Les Arcs ski area

This was the hotel, Chalet La Tarine - good rooms and food and had a roof terrace for al fresco dining, overlooking the surrounding mountains

http://www.latarine.com

Stayed at the same place as JohnnyBoxer can recomend it food good nice peaceful village.

Attachments

• IMG_5242.jpg
    IMG_5242.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_5243.jpg
    IMG_5243.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 199
Stayed at the same place as JohnnyBoxer can recomend it food good nice peaceful village.

Good one, liked it too

I found it (maybe a recommendation from here) and stayed there with Micky and a few others

(Nowhere near the route that Wapping is recommending in post #1 though !!!)

This place looks rather nice, any idea if there is secure parking for the bikes? Not too worried personally(as I have the oldest/least attractive bike amongst us!) but the other chaps are mare wary.

As a Solo rider Last October I rocked up at at Base Camp Lodge, Bourg st Maurice for an overnight stay off the cuff. Lots of different types of accom from single rooms, cheap as chips Hostel type rooms for groups and double rooms etc, Reasonable prices, nice restaurant/bar and terrace, free secure garaged parking, only 5 minute walk into town for bars reataurants etc.

As a Solo rider Last October I rocked up at at Base Camp Lodge, Bourg st Maurice for an overnight stay off the cuff. Lots of different types of accom from single rooms, cheap as chips Hostel type rooms for groups and double rooms etc, Reasonable prices, nice restaurant/bar and terrace, free secure garaged parking, only 5 minute walk into town for bars reataurants etc.
Is that the one with individual wooden cabins? I went cross eyed yesterday looking at all the possible ones!.

Indeed it’s a big town as you say - but we chose something a little quieter

We stayed near to Bourg ….up at a charming tiny village of Peisey Nancroix - set amongst the larger resorts of Les Arcs ski area

This was the hotel, Chalet La Tarine - good rooms and food and had a roof terrace for al fresco dining, overlooking the surrounding mountains

http://www.latarine.com

Unfortunately Celine has advised me they are shut in May, the only month of the year that they are!
She has recommended Le Relais de la Vanoise.
Anyone been there?

Currently sorting routes out for an end of May jaunt down to Monaco area, plan is to drop into Europoort from Hull, down through Germany, across Switzerland and do RdGA on the way down, rest a few days then Route Napoleon back up, poss touch Germany again, then Lux and a run back to Europoort, about 10 days across the water.
Will check these out, thanks Richard
Are there any accommodation recommendations in there, need to find somewhere near bourge st Maurice for four of us…

Sorry to burst your bubble but the French don't clear the ski passes (e.g. Val d'Isere) until the second week of May. You'll get to Bourg St. Maurice but no further on the RdGA at the end of May. I've tried to do it en route to Mugello MotoGP (May end) and they're closed!

ou now need a plan B; as I do for this summer as I'm heading back to Mugello again.

Good info that -
When would you say is the latest you could leave it for travelling the RDGA ?
Planning on leaving Menton to The North about the 12th Sept.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to burst your bubble but the French don't clear the ski passes (e.g. Val d'Isere) until the second week of May. You'll get to Bourg St. Maurice but no further on the RdGA at the end of May. I've tried to do it en route to Mugello MotoGP (May end) and they're closed!

ou now need a plan B; as I do for this summer as I'm heading back to Mugello again.
Thanks Khulu, I have travelled to Monaco for the F1 on perhaps a dozen occasions and have on the whole had good experiences, only finding closed roads on one occasion. However, while I have done several of the passes, I have not stuck to the RdGA proper so may have to plan for a few detours. Where do you reckon I will hit problems?
I don’t think there will be any major benefit from swapping the down and back routes around as there will only be a few days difference.

Unfortunately Celine has advised me they are shut in May, the only month of the year that they are!
She has recommended Le Relais de la Vanoise.
Anyone been there?

May can be a problem for accommodation.
On the same trip when Val d'Isere was closed I planned to stay at Solden (just to the north of the Timmelsjoch) after a long day's ride and the whole town was closed! May is between the end of the ski season and the start of the summer season so a lot of places close.
I usually join the RdGA at Albertville, head for Beaufort and then on to Bourg St. Maurice will no issues; then it gets tricky.

I'll have to modify my own plans for this summer too (including not visiting Ukraine as I had also planned to do)!

Which serves to put an alternative spin on the “Just wing it, mate” advice, that we find so often on the pages of UKGSer.

Back
Top Bottom