MRA, iPad, Basecamp and Garmin Nuvi

paul08

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have been playing around with MRA to check out the compatibility of routes created in MRA with my various Garmin products.

I created a test route in MRA using the web version, as I prefer the 'landscape' view available in the web version (the app on my iPad defaults to a 'portrait' view). The route has two Via points (the start and the end points) and 21 shaping points (to produce a convoluted route!).

Using my iPad, I saved the route in MRA as both v1.2 and v1.0 and saved these files to the Cloud (my iDrive). I did this both for the web based version of MRA and the app version of MRA on my iPad.

a) Transfer into Basecamp, using the files created in the web version of MRA

I imported the routes into Basecamp on my laptop. As expected, both the 1.0 and 1.2 versions of the gpx files only transfers the two Via points. The 'shaped' route is not transferred

b) Transfer into Basecamp, using gpx files created using the app version of MRA

I then tried importing the routes into Basecamp on my laptop, using the gpx files created using the app version. As expected, the 1.0 version only transfers the two Via points, the 21 shaping points again do not show up

But when I then imported the 1.2 version into Basecamp all 23 Via and Shaping points transfer across into BC. However, they all transfer across as announced 'blue flag' waypoints. There was no distinction between them, no differentiation between Via or Shaping points.

So there seems to be some difference to the files created in the app version, compared with the web version.

c) Transfer of Routes into my Garmin Nuvi 3490

I connected my Nuvi with my iPad and waited for the Garmin device and its SD card to show up in 'Files' on the iPad.

I then selected and copied over the 1.2 version of my gpx file (the one created using the app version of MRA). I put the file into the GARMIN/GPX folder.

Having then disconnected the Nuvi, I then started up the device, selected Trip Planner and waited for the egg timer to stop spinning. The transferred Test Route was visible. Selecting and opening this file on the Nuvi opens up the route.

Only the two Via Points are listed, none of the 21 Shaping Points. However, the correctly shaped route does show on the map and when 'Review Trip' is selected, with the route shown in the map view, all the correct blow by blow directions are shown for the shaped route. So I am presuming I could run and follow this route in my car.

I used the Nuvi 3490 as it was the only device to hand. At some point I will check if I get the same results with my Garmin Drivesmart, it being a more up to date satnav. I did not try it with a Nav V or Nav VI as I no longer have one of these devices.

Hi Paul,

I get a different result from you when I transfer a route created using MRA’s website into BaseCamp on my Mac. BaseCamp on my Mac had become a bit flakey but since the update to the operating system (see separate post) it has sorted itself out a bit.

If I transfer using 1.2, I get:

A. A perfect replication of the Track

B. The route transfers in but shows straight lines between the start, any subsequent viapoints (points that display as a hand in MRA) and the end point.

C. No intermediate shaping points (points that display as the upside down teardrop in MRA)

If I convert the track into a route within BaseCamp on my Mac, it converts perfectly. The conversion is not particularly quick but it doesn’t take minutes.

If I send the MRA route to my XT via Garmin Drive on my phone, I get: The complete correct route, the intermediate via points but no shaping points. This is what MRA tells me to expect.

If I send the MRA route to my phone and into BMW’s Connect app, I get: The correct route but no intermediate shaping or via via points.

If I send the MRA route to Pocket Earth Pro on my iPad , I get: The correct route and the via points but no intermediate shaping points. This matches what I get in the Garmin Drive app.

Richard. Your points A, B & C are as my experience. In essence you lose the Shaping points.

The main points I was making were:

a) if you create the v1.2 gpx file in the (mobile) app version of MRA, as opposed to the web version of MRA, you do NOT lose the shaping points.

b) you can go away with only iPad and Garmin satnav device and create routes on your iPad and transfer them into a Garmin satnav

a) OK, I see what you mean. Thanks for the update.

b) Yup, that’s exactly why I have started using MRA, now that I have my XT.

So I might be missing something but I think I'm getting a different outcome.

I created a route on the web version of MRA, a start and finish point with 5 shaping points in the middle to give a route other than the fastest. I saved this as both GPX 1.0 and 1.2 and imported into BaseCamp.

The 1.2 file only gave me the 2 via points and a straight line between them, but the 1.0 version retained both the 2 via points and 5 shaping points.

I repeated this in the MRA app and got the exact same outcome.

EDIT - I'm a moron, I when I said 1.0 I should have said 1.1. I need more coffee. But even if I save a route as 1.2 on the app I still lose everything but the start and finish point. But saving as a 1.1 regardless of whether it's from the app or the website seems to work ok for me when imported, they are shaping points in between with 2 via points, but I wouldn't expect it to as the app just used a mobile browser under the hood. I wonder if it's device/browser specific? Cause I can't get a 1.2 to retain anything other than the start and finish no matter where I download it from.

Interestingly if you open the GPX file in a text editor it lists the GPX version of a 1.2 file as version 1.1......

I've just compared a 1.2 file from both the website and app and they are identical so not sure what I'm doing different.

Comparing a 1.1 export vs 1.2 (regardless of whether I download from the app or the website) I notice that both files are actually written as 1.1 version files. The 1.2 files are missing this section near the top which is present in the 1.1 download which I can only assume is by design for compatibility with some satnavs. What I can't work out is why you both get a different experience when downloading the 1.2 version from the app.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-02-21 at 13.28.29.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-02-21 at 13.28.29.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 158
Mmmmmm, I will have a look at my routes and imports again, when I have the time

Thank you for the update, peejay.

I haven't tried the 1.1 version, simply because I headed to the 1.2 flavour, based on nothing more than MRA's assertion that it was aimed at Garmin users.

I'll give it a go, not least as it can't be broken.

Today I sent a 1,2 and 1.1 version to my xt via the drive app. Same result as above 1.2 only gives me a track and a start and finish point. 1.1 gives me start and finish and blue dots on the track

Today I sent a 1,2 and 1.1 version to my xt via the drive app. Same result as above 1.2 only gives me a track and a start and finish point. 1.1 gives me start and finish and blue dots on the track

Thank you.

What do you get if you post 1.1 and 1.2 versions of the route into BaseCamp?

I came across a blog from Michel Van Hagen of (MRA) that does show how they differ - https://info.myrouteapp.com/blog-routes-loading-garmin-zumo-xt and may be of interest

Thank you.

That matches my experiences with version 1.2. The only bit I differ from is where Michel Van Hagen says:

One last point, the gpx 1.2 file, track + waypoints + pois, is not supported by Basecamp.

On my Mac at least, the track, the waypoints and any pois ARE supported in BaseCamp.

What is NOT supported is the route itself, which comes out as straight lines between the start point, any intermediate waypoints or pois and the end point. In addition, what is NOT supported are any intermediate shaping points.

I can though ask BaseCamp to convert the track that 1.2 brings across into a route, which it will do. As far as I can ascertain, the route offered up by BaseCamp in the conversion process matches the route in MyRoute.

I have asked the question in MRA’s forum and will let UKGSer know what replies come back.

Interesting read Wapping! In my testing the 1.2 file is simply absent of these intermediate shaping points which either infers a bug their end or intentional design. When I compare the 1.1 and 1.2 files as mentioned, the ONLY difference (and i mean down to individual characters) is the block of viapoints near the start that are there in the 1.1 but missing in the 1.2.

I'm going with the "bug" theory personally due to the fact it implies on their site that the 1.2 file is route/track/poi which it is very clearly not. Even if I import the 1.2 file into any other program I have 3 things, the start point, the end point and the raw track, nothing else :(

EDIT - I haven't read it in full yet as I have a meeting to go to but it seems this has been discussed some months ago - https://forum.myrouteapp.com/topic/1715/export-1-2-gpx/27?lang=en-GB - and seems it's implied to just use the 1.1 version :facepalm:

Worth pointing out that when I was testing (playing) it was to check out the feasibility of using my iPad. Also, when I loaded the routes into Basecamp I did not use the MRA Connector software. I exported a gpx file from my MRA to my downloads folder and then imported that into Basecamp

In the blog ref above, the MRA team state by far the best way to load a route is by using their connect tool to export. This is not possible if on a Mac to an XT as the Mac doesn’t see the device. This was also discussed in another thread where the discussion was around using an app on a Mac that allows u to see the device drive

In the blog ref above, the MRA team state by far the best way to load a route is by using their connect tool to export. This is not possible if on a Mac to an XT as the Mac doesn’t see the device. This was also discussed in another thread where the discussion was around using an app on a Mac that allows u to see the device drive

There’s a separate post / thread on how to persuade a Mac to see the XT. From memory it was created by er-minio. I remember it only in as much as I used it to clear some old routes out of my XT. I assume the same method can be used to install routes from BaseCamp into the XT, too.

I have an answer from the very helpful MRA forum. My mistake was thinking that, as 1.2 is designed more akin to Garmin devices, it would be more suitable to use when exporting to BaseCamp than 1.1. That was wrong.

If you export the route as GPX 1.2, the route in BaseCamp will only have a few shaping points and you will have a lot of work to correct.
The GPX 1.1 has many more shaping points after export from MRA. The route will still have straight lines after the import into BaseCamp but on recalculation it will be almost flawless.
GPX 1.1 is therefore less laborious and GPX 1.2 is actually not suitable for import into BaseCamp.

What I did though find was that if you export version 1.2 into BaseCamp on a Mac, the conversion of the track into a route is pretty reliable with very few errors that might need correcting manually. That is if you don’t mind losing any intermediate viapoints or waypoints (points you MUST go through or stop at) in the process. You can always add these in.

The truth is that version 1.2 is so good at linking seamlessly with the XT, that there is no need to shove a MRA route into BaseCamp, unless like me you want to compare a route with other routes yiu hold in BaseCamp already. I can see MRA slowly but surely replacing BaseCamp in my life.

Back
Top Bottom