Millau - See more than the bridge

Wapping

Reaction score
The Millau bridge always comes up as a ‘must do’ destination on every “Me and my five mates, we want…..” request for ideas for things to see and do in France.

When you are there, why not see a bit more of the area? This broadly circular 500 mile holiday jaunt, courtesy of Motorrad magazine (edition 16 - July 2021) may help you to do just that.

054540339f3771c50c5353829df5abf6.png

Whil you are in Millau, maybe look at this alternative, again from Motorrad magazine:

e3a9871d675955fbaecf658c6b2543f9.jpg

https://maps.motorradonline.de/trac...eyron_millau_ispagnac/68198?download=1#reiter

I see they’ve given the Château de Cresseils a gold star !!!

Cracking place to stay and great views

34f375fb645b314961d39f4b3fcec0b7.jpg

c403b715253c61e578f6b455b11ac582.jpg

18ab744431fe6785dffd24151e06ebd4.jpg

Mais pas d'oeufs et de FRITZ !!!

Wow, that looks tempting for springtime. Do you think extending to carcassonne would be a worthwhile addition?

Gorge du Tarn is still one of the best places I’ve visited, we stayed in a Chateau further up the valley, well worth the ride.

Gorge du Tarn is still one of the best places I’ve visited, we stayed in a Chateau further up the valley, well worth the ride.

Agreed. Some beautiful villages , such as Saint Enimie

2278739ed2f19e2e01fcb2b438453388.jpg

Auberge de la Cascade recommended for the night.

…… I see they’ve given the Château de Cresseils a gold star…

We camped last time, just outside Millau. This time we are staying at the hotel, which looks top notch. We take the view that we can stay in cheaper private but perfectly decent hotels along the way and then spank a bit of cash for a really nice hotel as well. Last time we did more camping and spanked all the savings on a taxi and a fine lunch in a private vinyard, Mas Jau, near Estagel.

https://www.chateaudejau.com/

Top day out, off the bikes.

….. Do you think extending to carcassonne would be a worthwhile addition?

Carcassonne is interesting enough, I guess, as a tourist ‘must do’, rebuilt castle. We didn’t go there on this jaunt, simply as my friend - whose idea for a retirement jaunt it was - (who chose the destinations, I simply worked out how to get there and join them up) wanted to go to the Med. On similar lines, we went straight past the entrance to Oradour-sur-Glane (another ‘must do’ site) but didn’t stop, as we had other places to be. We didn’t, in fact couldn’t, stop there or we’d not have got to the Pyrenees that day. The great thing, is that the town won’t vanish in our lifetimes, so missing it on one jaunt means it will still be there for another, God willing.

Agreed. Some beautiful villages , such as Saint Enimie

2278739ed2f19e2e01fcb2b438453388.jpg

Auberge de la Cascade recommended for the night.

That hotel comes up in the magazine’s German blurb. I have stayed there, too. Recommended, indeed.

We camped last time, just outside Millau. This time we are staying at the hotel, which looks top notch. We take the view that we can stay in cheaper private but perfectly decent hotels along the way and then spank a bit of cash for a really nice hotel as well. Last time we did more camping and spanked all the savings on a taxi and a fine lunch in a private vinyard, Mas Jau, near Estagel.

Carcassonne is interesting enough, I guess, as a tourist ‘must do’, rebuilt castle. We didn’t go there on this jaunt, simply as my friend - whose idea for a retirement jaunt it was - (who chose the destinations, I simply worked out how to get there and join them up) wanted to go to the Med. On similar lines, we went straight past the entrance to Oradour-sur-Glane (another ‘must do’ site) but didn’t stop, as we had other places to be. We didn’t, in fact couldn’t, stop there or we’d not have got to the Pyrenees that day. The great thing, is that the town won’t vanish in our lifetimes, so missing it on one jaunt means it will still be there for another, God willing.

Hmm, a lesson there in not trying to put too much into an itinerary and becoming a slave to it. OK in the car biut not on a bike in my book. I was really thinking more about the rides/roads in that direction.

I’ve been down to Saint Enimie a fair few times just for the day, it’s about 2 hours of good roads from my place and it’s great for canoeing down the Tarn in summer, they take you up river in a minibus and you canoe back down:thumb2

I’ve visited that Micropolis place just above the star on the map, it’s a tourist thing about insects and it’s pretty good

The departments in the south are my normal riding zone for short trips and weekends away

Hmm, a lesson there in not trying to put too much into an itinerary and becoming a slave to it. OK in the car biut not on a bike in my book. I was really thinking more about the rides/roads in that direction.

Indeed.

The roads between the Pyrenees and Carcassonne are good, not least as you are presumably on holiday. They are what you make of the trip as a whole. Pick up the map and use Google street view….

0534d9ecad1bfaf3e87ddbb1cf0999eb.png

a5a836439668021e773d89831c81e1a4.png

fa01bd497a3eaf49ac296dfaaaf2faf6.png

But I like northern France, in the Pas de Calais, which other people think is dull. It is but you can find great roads, too….

1c91b4c29e266228c3dda5fb06cf597c.png

3b71601a2a8508bd0b9ce1ec72debf9f.png

It all depends on what people want and / or sometimes if they are prepared to spend some time with a map> Not least, it’s different than the roads in London E1.

More than anything, I would ride up from the Pyrenees with an open mind, happy to just be out and about on the smaller D roads, having spent some time with Mr Michelin.

PS Going by car does indeed save hours of faffing about on a motorcycle. Have breakfast, lob the bags in the boot, turn on the aircon and drive out of the gates….. There is a lot to commend it.

PPS I am finding the MyRoute app really good for looking at roads, as it links directly to Google’s excellent street view.

If going between the Pyrenees and Carcassonne, you could do a lot worse than taking one of the many routes through the Cathars, maybe visit a couple of the castles or partake of some of the excellent wine and cheese of the region, Maybe go through the Gorge De Galamus on your way, many things to see and great roads to travel between the Pyrenees and Carcassonne.

Indeed.

The roads between the Pyrenees and Carcassonne are good, not least as you are presumably on holiday. They are what you make of the trip as a whole. Pick up the map and use Google street view….

It all depends on what people want and / or sometimes if they are prepared to spend some time with a map> Not least, it’s different than the roads in London E1.

More than anything, I would ride up from the Pyrenees with an open mind, happy to just be out and about on the smaller D roads, having spent some time with Mr Michelin.

PS Going by car does indeed save hours of faffing about on a motorcycle. Have breakfast, lob the bags in the boot, turn on the aircon and drive out of the gates….. There is a lot to commend it.

PPS I am finding the MyRoute app really good for looking at roads, as it links directly to Google’s excellent street view.

Yup, a couple of days away form home here on the Spajnsh side always appeals, so totally different :)

Its worth going to the Pointe Sublime for the views and the low flying vultures.
Spent a week there based at Florac and could have spent another two without running out of roads to ride and places to see.
DSC05443.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
SAM-0183.jpg
[/url]anonymous image hosting[/IMG]

Thanks for this. When I head to France in March this is one of the areas on my list (weather permitting) so this is very useful. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom