Nav V SD card !!

Old Codger

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Long story short just replaced the battery on my nav v after 5yrs use . On updating the maps it won’t recognise the 32 mb card that was installed and working. Therefore limiting the size of map update. New battery now fully charged card taken out and re formatted to fat 32 . Garmin express says device fully updated and will still not recognise the sd card.
Am I missing anything obvious ?
Garmin will replace the unit for £130 . I’m tempted to carry on with restricted maps and use Google maps on my phone played via my Sena Which has been reliable.

SD cards are relatively cheap so I'd try a brand-new card. Offhand I can't remember whether a 32GB card should be formatted FAT32 or exFAT.

It needs an SDHC card formatted to FAT32.

Have you plugged the Nav V into your PC, with the SDHC card on board & taken a look at 'My Computer' to see what 'devices' it recognises? It should show the Nav unit as well as the memory card - no card shown, then check the contacts are clean or try another card . Once the card can be seen correctly, then instruct formatting from there. Once complete, open up Garmin Express, Map Options, Reinstall Map & you should be away.

If you have already gone down this road & can't get beyond basic/restricted mapping, then it's probably time to talk to Garmin Support, unless our resident expert Wapping has any better ideas.

As per post #2, SD cards are so cheap, just buy a good quality (ie not some shonky copy) brand new one and see how that goes. It’ll be a lot less than a fresh device.

You won’t need anything like 32GB for the full maps of Europe. 16GB or even just 8GB will do you. Either card will probably be suitably formatted, straight out of their packaging.

Insert and re insert the card a couple of times just to be sure it seated into the connections ok

Thanks for the replies I’ll give it another go or two

Hi, just got a new bike with navigator 5 attached - what a joke

its running 3.5 and maps 2023.1out this week - half the time it says the manoeuvrer to take after you committed to the wrong route... its a lagging waste of space

if I buy a premium high speed card will it run quicker - as it is, in landscape so you can see anything related to where you are going, just 15 miles of rubbish each side (not the zoom - just the waste at the sides when you actually need it top to bottom) and then 1 second behind its almost not worth having
My tomtom 550 is also a laggy waste of space,

yet 10 year old devices in cars NEVER do this - are we just being ripped off with budged drivel as bikers?

wow - a 64gig SDXC cards works... so you can get far faster things
and I can't believe they do portrait view - which just leaves how the hell / why the hell do BMW mount them all the wrong way round - even in the cars 4" high and 10" wide - and on a K1600 ur stuffed?

I was sure on nav6 it didn't do portrait - but this suggests I'm mistaken and this guy does a BRACKET TO SPIN IT ROUND THE RIGHT WAY FOR GS'

https://www.shapeways.com/product/W...ter-for-bmw-navigator-mount?optionId=64701940

https://www.shapeways.com/product/Q...for-bmw-nav5-6-mount-cradle?optionId=64934380

Product Description
*These are not a product from or made by Bayerische Motoren Werke AG
* Mount Adapters for lockable BMW Navigator V/VI mount cradle in Portrait mode.

Ah ha, I was HALF right

Attention/Notice: By default, the Navigator 5 switches automatically to Normal mode and hides the orientation menu point. By masking contact #3 with a piece of tape (view device from its backside, second row from the bottom, the right contact spot) which is ground, the Nav5 does not detect that it is in the cradle.

It powers up normally with ignition on
The power down question only pops up when the ECU shuts down power to the cradle and the whole system (not instantly when ignition is off)

Downside: The device loses access to the LIN bus = No integration with the bikes computer (no "My motorcycle" page and any information provided through the ECU) and scroll wheel functionality. You have to tap the screen as with any TomTom or (non-BMW-customized) Garmin device.

Back
Top Bottom