No voice or turn instructions, if suddenly…..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wapping

Reaction score
You find you have no turn instructions (for example, take the second exit) and / or no voice instructions and / or no junction graphics on a motorway and / or just a meaningless generic instruction (for example, continue to Lower Lea Crossing *) running across the banner on the top…..

4d485396d8a03f0290ee54268daa560a.jpg

…..instead of drop kicking the device into the nearest field or hurling into the Thames…..

….. just check that, following an automatic update, the device didn’t unilaterally decide to select (activate) all the maps at once. In other words, all the default Garmin maps AND any Open Street maps you have installed.

Shall we say, it took me a while to twig what the device had done.

* If anyone really knows where that might be, without looking at a map, you are in a club of your own.

830f0b21c49b3ef2f915418065f3a943.png

Yep. I think Berin too discovered this some time ago.
It happened to me a couple of times as well and wouldn’t have figured it out if it wasn’t for the forum :)

I still wish for an easier (and more accessible) map selector.

I discovered it by chance, years ago but had forgotten it.

I was trying out my new XT in the car on a simple A to B route between Birmingham and London E1, basically straight down the M40, then into London at Euston, Kings Cross, Angel, Old Street and home. This was just so I could get a feel for what all the option buttons actually did and what the screen looks like in use.

What I could not work out was why:

A. The device gave no voice instructions.

B. Gave no instructions at roundabouts.

C. Thought I was regularly off route, when I was following the magenta line, driving straight down the M40.

D. Gave all but meaningless instructions in the banner.

E. Displayed no images of lanes on the M40.

I was so confused that I turned it off. When I got home, I asked the device for an A to B route to Tesco, out past the City of London airport. I chose this as I know there are lots of roundabouts and a fairly significant exit from the A13 at the bottom of the A406 at a big roundabout.

As the A to E faults were still there, I knew (if I didn’t already) that something was suddenly wrong. I sat looking at the device when BINGO! I remembered about the installed maps. Why the device had selected them all at once, I have no idea but it had. I knew instantly that this was the problem, not least as I remember telling someone to check on UKGSer…. I had, in my confusion, simply forgotten.

PS One benefit. I now know where and what a road called ‘Lower Lea Crossing’ is. I must have driven along it over 1,000 times. My life is now complete.

Yeah, same exact scenario for me. I was puzzled to say the least.

My life is now complete

hahaha

Been through the lovely Rotherite again yesterday night and noticed additional work on the entrance to make it even slower :D
I might have to find alternative routes to cross.

I am not sure what they are doing at the Rotherhithe tunnel….. and I don’t think they know either.

:beerjug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom