Which petrol to use with which bike

TommoUK

Reaction score
I am sure I have read something on here about this last year but as usual the Search Facility is a waste of time

I have a f650 funduro at the moment..
I checked online with BMW and they said it was fine to run on E10
As far as I'm concerned they lied
I tried it with the E10 petrol and riding just felt flat the bike had no go i was revving higher to still not get the same out of my bike and although the E!) is cheaper I found I was using more
I changed to the E5 stuff and it was like my bike had come out of a coma it does go better nd the milage is a bit better

It works out moire expensive using either of one of this cheaper to make but more expensive to buy fuels ...as no doubt was the intention

I blame the idiots that believe a planet that is emerging from an ice age should not get warmer and paying more in tax and generally throwing money at the perceived problem will fix it.

But ...What this stuff is doing to my Carb I have no idea I hear this ethanol is not good for the older bikes or bikes with carbs

I have an oil leak I can't track down maybe its the ethanol rotting stuff already
I'm looking at chopping mine in and getting something else maybe even for once god forbid ... a new one
I've always shied away from the F650gs whatever size the engine really is but its maybe time to have a look before I abandon BMW altogether

But the question before I start looking is which petrol do they all run on and do they run ok... and what damage if anything is being sustained from the cheap ethanol shit

As ever any and all advice would be most welcome

I am sure I have read something on here about this last year but as usual the Search Facility is a waste of time

I have a f650 funduro at the moment..
I checked online with BMW and they said it was fine to run on E10
As far as I'm concerned they lied
I tried it with the E10 petrol and riding just felt flat the bike had no go i was revving higher to still not get the same out of my bike and although the E!) is cheaper I found I was using more
I changed to the E5 stuff and it was like my bike had come out of a coma it does go better nd the milage is a bit better

It works out moire expensive using either of one of this cheaper to make but more expensive to buy fuels ...as no doubt was the intention

I blame the idiots that believe a planet that is emerging from an ice age should not get warmer and paying more in tax and generally throwing money at the perceived problem will fix it.

But ...What this stuff is doing to my Carb I have no idea I hear this ethanol is not good for the older bikes or bikes with carbs

I have an oil leak I can't track down maybe its the ethanol rotting stuff already
I'm looking at chopping mine in and getting something else maybe even for once god forbid ... a new one
I've always shied away from the F650gs whatever size the engine really is but its maybe time to have a look before I abandon BMW altogether

But the question before I start looking is which petrol do they all run on and do they run ok... and what damage if anything is being sustained from the cheap ethanol shit

I think there is an article in a recent MCN that pits 2 identical bikes against each other, with riders of the same weight etc and same course, riding style etc. 1 bike with more expensive E5 and the other on E10. The results were that the E5 bike ran "better" and returned more mpg so any more expense on fuel was recouped by more mileage and a better running engine. 6 of 1 and half a dozen of the other. :nenau

Personally I have used Esso (I think) ethanol free where available or E5 if I have to. Ethanol will not do any serious damage really, provided it's not allowed to sit for extended periods of time in tanks/pipes/carbs, although it is said it can cause rubber fuel lines to rot out quicker.

Ref. your oil leak, it's not likely ethanol fuel is causing a leak given that fuel should not be in the same vicinity as any oil reservoir or oil piping.

Ethanol doesn't have the same energy as petrol, so you do lose some 'bang' but apparently it's kinder for the environment & for some rich American farmers who have a lot of crop that can be used to create Ethanol . . . . .

Some engines are more affected than others (usually the older ones) for the small tank on a Bike, the cost difference is minimal overall (IMO). But if you are to sue it, i would use branded petrol (Shell, BP, Esso etc)

I have a f650 funduro at the moment……

…. I checked online with BMW and they said it was fine to run on E10…….As far as I'm concerned they lied

I blame the idiots that believe a planet that is emerging from an ice age should not get warmer and paying more in tax and generally throwing money at the perceived problem will fix it…..

…..But the question before I start looking is which petrol do they all run on and do they run ok... and what damage if anything is being sustained from the cheap ethanol shit

In your pressing need to rant, libel BMW and seek advice, you have missed the smaller capacity bike’s sub-forum.

My advice would be to ask a moderator to move your post into a spot more likely to find you more likeminds.

Back
Top Bottom