Cannot turn off Autocomplete

andysdad

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
On my Win10 PC, if I start to type into Google, it auto-completes with suggested text before I finish typing.

E.g. I want to type "mondeo strut" when I get as far as "mondeo st" the text auto-completes as "mondeo st220".

I've switched off auto-complete in Windows Settings (Settings/Devices/Typing) and in Google Settings (Search Customisation is Off, Trending Searches is Off) to no avail. I've tried Edge and Chrome; same result.

Any suggestions, please?

I've switched off auto-complete in Windows Settings (Settings/Devices/Typing) and in Google Settings (Search Customisation is Off, Trending Searches is Off) to no avail. I've tried Edge and Chrome; same result.

Its a browser thing. Firefox?
Click on the Firefox menu icon. (Three lines at top right of screen.)
Click on "Settings."
Choose "Privacy & Security."
In the "Forms & Autofill" section uncheck the options for which you wish to disable Autofill. The system will automatically save your settings.

Sorry; I'm not clear why this is a problem. Just carry on & type what you actually want & it gets there surely.

As soon as you get to 'str' it starts looking elsewhere.

Just give it a few years & AI interference will really blow you mind.

Thanks for the comments.

Redboots - as I said, I tried Edge and Chrome - same result. Edge is the default browser, not tried Firefox yet.

Squibb34 - it doesn't lose the suggestion, so "mondeo st220r" changes to "mondeo st220rut". If I backspace/delete the "220" then type "r" I get "mondeo strainer"!

If I then continuing to type I get "mondeo strainerut".

All very odd - maybe a virus?

Redboots - thanks for that - I've been through it already (turned off Personal Results and Search Customisations), and the problem persists. Also I am not signed into Google so it is not using my own previous search etc.

Still hoping to find the magic solution!

Well, more playing - same problem in Bing so not a Google setting.

Now the wireless keyboard is mucking about, changed batteries for new, no change, so will reinstall driver even though Device Manager says the latest is installed.

Can you uninstall the only keyboard driver and still use a PC? Will it will auto-install or mess it up?

Thought I'd found the problem - found a setting for "Inline Autocomplete" was ticked, but unticking that and rebooting made no difference.

Oh well, takes my mind off nuclear oblivion.

This is the Google missive on Autocomplete .......... https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/106230

(Not to be confused with Autofill, which recalls personal data for form filling etc.)

Quite why it should hang with the autocomplete suggestion seems very strange, but surely you can turn off trending searches.

Having said that, you will have changed a whole variety of other settings, so you may be well advised to review these at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom