Secure parking in New York City

shakey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Advice please.

The first leg of my coast to coast trip starts at JFK airport. Speaking to the shipping agent who are flying my bike out, they have suggested that I don’t try to rush collecting my bike as there is a lot that can happen between the airline and customs to slow down the process. I am toying with the idea of booking a night in the big Apple and taking in the sights AFTER i collect the bike. It means that i am looking for a hotel in the city, close to the sights but most importantly has secure parking for my bike.

I have been on booking.com and no matter how you set the search filters there is no certainty that the hotels actually have suitable on site parking for motorbikes, and none that will let me book a space in advance. So I am looking for personal recommendations from you seasoned travellers. Can you recommend a hotel that can take care of my bike while i wander around the smoke?

A hotel with parking in NYC is a rare beast.
I would suggest searching for secure parking first, then nearby hotels.
Personally, I would let it clear customs and pick it up first thing the following morning.

I do fly in the night before and have booked a hotel very close to the airport so i can get to the airline shipping place early in the morning. The hotel that i booked there has possibly the worst reviews I have ever read but its only somewhere to sleep for one night that’s close to the airport.

I could be lucky and have the bike out of the crate by lunchtime, then i would just hit the road but IF there is an option to park up in the city for a proper look around then I would consider it.

I'd be inclined to collect the bike after seeing NYC.

…but IF there is an option to park up in the city for a proper look around then I would consider it.

If you’ve never been to NYC before you’d be bonkers not to spend at least 48 hours looking around. There are cities and then there are CITIES. NYC is definitely a CITY. It’s one of the world’s most iconic places…

You could also try Air BnB staying just over the water in Jersey or Brooklyn. The subway system is pretty quick and easy to use, some lines operate 24/7.

Just make sure you're not too far from a 24/7 line, it makes life easier if you have a late night out. Remember you don't want to be walking to many blocks to get to the station otherwise you'll be wasting valuable energy and transit time before you hit the city.

Good luck with getting the bike out of JFK….. most frustrating process of the whole coast-to-coast ride…..wish I’d flown to Newark….also, take some money to bung to the lads in the shed where you collect from. They will find you the tools you need….be nice to them.:thumb2

Attachments

• 9EE3E893-E88C-42F5-8304-F93B5F2D40BF.jpeg
    9EE3E893-E88C-42F5-8304-F93B5F2D40BF.jpeg
    154.8 KB · Views: 87
  • A340012D-DAFC-4677-9F8D-3EC60B611C05.jpeg
    A340012D-DAFC-4677-9F8D-3EC60B611C05.jpeg
    127.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 88649A39-6BD4-4E2F-8ACF-FACB70CCC99D.jpeg
    88649A39-6BD4-4E2F-8ACF-FACB70CCC99D.jpeg
    129.7 KB · Views: 81
JFK was an experience when I shipped our sidecar outfit there back in 2016.
The four hours that I was with Home Land Security soon became part of the story, as did running out of fuel on a freeway going through the Bronx.

There is (used to be?) a continuous free circular shuttle bus at JFK which was very useful for getting around.
As has been said, a few dollars for a bit of help uncrating and crate disposal is the way forward.

Start as early as you can, keep calm and it’ll all be fine.

I can’t help with hotels with parking in NYC.

Have a great ride, tell us about it as you go along and post pictures too.

Envious? Me? Absolutely I am.

Attachments

• F1928EB9-CA4B-42D1-B7AC-AD6D29CEB17C.jpg
    F1928EB9-CA4B-42D1-B7AC-AD6D29CEB17C.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 89

Back
Top Bottom