BMW upgraded fuel sensor strip.

I got a smidge over 29 lts in the other day, still showing about 100 miles on Range.
Greatly amused the guy in the Kiosk to see a Bike Pumping 48 Quid into the Tank...:(

I put in £64.00 earlier in the year when it was stupid expensive , I can now get super E5 locally for £1.66.9 so it's not so bad now.and that's at a shell, not shitty supermarket fuel!

My fuel tank doesn't have the hole in the right side to fit the auxiliary oil bottle that some have so it may hold more fuel, who knows?
I didn't know about this.
How do you access it, assuming you have such a thing??

I put in £64.00 earlier in the year when it was stupid expensive , I can now get super E5 locally for £1.66.9 so it's not so bad now.and that's at a shell, not shitty supermarket fuel!

I just paid 179.9 this afternoon.
Out of Interest, is the "Supreme" E5 the same as the old E5, or does it actually have different Additives to make it deserving of its Title?

Look at the inside of the right fuel tank by the forkleg, if you see what I mean.if there is a cutout there with a bolt hole for a retaining strap then you can fit the back up oil bottle in there.

I just paid 179.9 this afternoon.
Out of Interest, is the "Supreme" E5 the same as the old E5, or does it actually have different Additives to make it deserving of its Title?

Super E5 us supposably the same as before they changed the standard E5 to E10.

Look at the inside of the right fuel tank by the forkleg, if you see what I mean.if there is a cutout there with a bolt hole for a retaining strap then you can fit the back up oil bottle in there.

I had a crack at it in Post #53....

The cut out can fit one of these if you have it
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/33443362...U_ksWGZQju&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

So there is, who knew?!! (Apart from you, obviously).
Thanks for that, everyday's a School Day!!

So there is, who knew?!! (Apart from you, obviously).
Thanks for that, everyday's a School Day!!
So you have the cut out then.
I'm intrigued now as to what your fuel capacity is. I wonder if it makes a difference?
You'd think it would

I do, yes.
I don’t recall there being one on the 07 though.
Mine definitely holds well in excess of 30lts but I don’t know exactly how much

Weird things happening !!

Just been out for a bit of a bimble and the new fuel strip is showing a full tank ( it's not) and the range figure went UP the more I rode it, it went up from 197 to 211 over a 30 mile run.

I think I have heard that it may take a couple of tank fulls to get the strip to "bed" in...... Is this the case.?

Just spoken to the main dealer and it turns out that the new improved fuel strip wasn't calibrated correctly so I've now got to take the bike back again.

I know it's not far but it's a bloody nuisance and I'll have to take more time off work... Nothing is simple these days.

Just spoken to the main dealer and it turns out that the new improved fuel strip wasn't calibrated correctly so I've now got to take the bike back again.

I know it's not far but it's a bloody nuisance and I'll have to take more time off work... Nothing is simple these days.

O.F.F.S.

I ran out again the other day

it used to ride to 9 miles on the old pump without complaint - after they replaced that it would run out at 15 miles which caught me out... and then with nothing I thought last week I had about 100 miles left and it coughed as I drove by a forecourt... that made me wonder... then it stopped 100 yards up the road

my new box of tricks to make the float behave with a ZFE basic rocked up 12hrs later.... and I temp wired to a fag lighter power source that kept jumping out and confusing the silly thing. There is definitely some stuff it remembers / takes in to account to create a reading... if the float is in half a tank and you connect it up that's the new full.... then you fill it up and that full becomes the new full (which makes lots of sense to me) and it starts measuring the drop .... but if you cut the power u start over...

as it always took a while to update after you fill with petrol (on the old strip) I guess it remembers where it last was each time you start the bike and doesn't update till there a steady reading - so as long as the power is "always there when the ignition is on" with a float then it should be ok???

Well.....

Took the bike back to the main dealers to have the new upgraded fuel strip re-calibrated.

That didn't work so much electronic wizardry took place with the outcome that it maybe the control sender unit for the fuel strip ( £400 ) but you need to reset the bike by riding 15 miles and bring it back and we'll test it again.

This time the control sender unit is OK but the new super duper upgraded fuel strip is goosed... Must be a duff one from the suppliers... Come back next Thursday and we'll fit a new super duper fuel strip free of charge under warranty.

To be continued.....

My new super duper fuel strip won't even calibrate, voltage is over 12.5v and hooked up to a charger, the strip is out of the tank and dry.....Given up trying for today :blast

they probably wrote NEW code to calibrate it - so likely it will fail just as much as they did, but now you can't code it at home any more....

all of which brings the opportunity to point out "they aren't stupid" but "they are criminals"

on the old fossils, dealerships now have to fire up the old laptop with the old diagnostics tools, so many no longer keep it up to date.. I think it was 2018 they moved modern bike tools over to ista next, maybe the dealer tool update to code the later strip wasn't installed at the dealership - and or the idiots manufacturing it have no idea what they are doing - (far too many people think we have experts left out in the real world they all gave up !!!)

Second new super duper sensor strip fitted under warranty today, technician said to give it a couple of tank fulls to let it settle down. Range figure and fuel level were quite erratic on the way home but I'll give it some miles and see what happens.

a strip should know the level from the get go ?

the float seems to think it knows best - until something changes its view of the world and that impacts the scale - if half full when you fit it, that's the new full (till something like topping it up and or it hits the bottom makes it think again) which is why they morph in to more and more accurate. But the strip probably shouldn't work that way - unless that's how the same strip copes with different shapes and capacities of different BMW models petrol tank's (but then this difference should be programmed in the vehicles brains not learnt)

Well..... Still doesn't work.!

Fuel gauge showing full with a range indicated of 222 miles, put £25 + petrol in it, fuel gauge still shows full, just done 72 miles, fuel gauge still shows full and I now have a range of 236.

On board computer shows 51.3 mpg

Getting a bit daft now.

Any thoughts.?

Back
Top Bottom