Must ride route(s) from Penicuik to Gretna?

ronnie69

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Picking up a new to me bike tomorrow (subject to seeing it etc) and heading from Penicuik to Gretna for overnight stop. Very brief look at google maps suggests Peebles/Traquair/Eskdalemuir may be more interesting than just bashing down the A702 towards the A74(M) but any other routes recommended by those 'in the know'? I'm ideally after pootling roads of moderate progress rather than either main routes full of traffic or goat tracks requiring knobblies (sp?). I want to make reasonable time because it will be cold and I'm nesh :blast

If I stick to my rough route above, would the wise among you suggest heading from Eskdalemuir towards Lockerbie or towards Langholm instead?

Forecast is pretty parky for tomorrow! If it's bad, I'd suggest a straight run down the A701. Then take the B7076 (the old A74) down to Gretna.

If the weather is OK, then take the 703 through Peebles, Innerleithen and Ettrick to the Samye Ling Buddhist centre - a sight to behold in the Scottish Borders! Then via Langholm to Gretna ...

Penicuik across to the A7 > South to B7007 > B709 > Innerleithen > Traquair > Mountbenger > Ettrick > Eskdalemuir (Stop at Kagyu Samye Ling and Tibetan Tea Rooms) > Langholm > A7 > B720 > B6357 > Kirkpatrick-Fleming > B7076 > Gretna.

HTH

Fandabidozi. Many thanks, both. I've been to the Samye Ling but quite a while ago. Not sure I'll have time to stop tomorrow but a cracking spot indeed.

If the bike's a nail I may be on the bus but fingers crossed it sounds and looks promising so far.

Fandabidozi. Many thanks, both. I've been to the Samye Ling but quite a while ago. Not sure I'll have time to stop tomorrow but a cracking spot indeed.

If the bike's a nail I may be on the bus but fingers crossed it sounds and looks promising so far.

I suggest you give the vendor a call to discuss your arrangements. I'm looking out at snow falling in south Edinburgh. It will be worse in Penicuik, which is a good bit higher. Temps are predicted to be below zero tonight.

I suggest you give the vendor a call to discuss your arrangements. I'm looking out at snow falling in south Edinburgh. It will be worse in Penicuik, which is a good bit higher. Temps are predicted to be below zero tonight.

Hmmmm, ta for the heads up. I'll check with him but I've bought the non-refundable train ticket and have no patience so I'm inclined to go unless it's biblical. It's only weather and I'm heading south - supposed to be a balmy 6 degrees in Gretna. Toasty.

Hmmmm, ta for the heads up. I'll check with him but I've bought the non-refundable train ticket and have no patience so I'm inclined to go unless it's biblical. It's only weather and I'm heading south - supposed to be a balmy 6 degrees in Gretna. Toasty.

:thumb2 PMd you.

Just wondered what road you chose and if you liked the new bike?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Forecast is pretty parky for tomorrow! If it's bad, I'd suggest a straight run down the A701. Then take the B7076 (the old A74) down to Gretna.

If the weather is OK, then take the 703 through Peebles, Innerleithen and Ettrick to the Samye Ling Buddhist centre - a sight to behold in the Scottish Borders! Then via Langholm to Gretna ...

Two of my regular routes to Edinburgh :thumb

Nice route recommendation. I always seem to use the same old roads and it gets a bit boring.

I was on the B7007/709 today and I let a 22 plate GS by me. Someone on here maybe?

Be careful if it snows
f54ba0a7e02ca9f6731fbd21d3bbb09f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom