Daily car insurance

SIM

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,

can someone please shed some light on how this works.

My brother in law has said I can borrow his 7 seat car for the day to ferry my daughter and her 5 mates to the seaside for her birthday.

I obviously need insurance, my current insurance company allow third party cover on any other car, but given the cost of his Car is not something I would like to pay for should the worst happen, I would like an additional level of cover.

looking on the web you can get day insurance but not sure if it needs to be tied to my current insurers for my car or I get something independent, but then how does the no claims work given you can only use on one car, what about protected no claims and how does it work parallel with my current cover

I will be ringing my insurance company tomorrow to have a chat but thought I would try the font if all wisdom first

cheers Simon

It would be easier for him to add you as a named driver on his policy.

As far as I know a car can only have one policy against it.

Take out a fully comprehensive policy on it but opt to pay for it monthly. Use the car for the day and then cancel the policy under the 14 day cooling off period and get a refund on what you have paid, less one days cover. Naughty but legal. :thumb

Take out a fully comprehensive policy on it but opt to pay for it monthly. Use the car for the day and then cancel the policy under the 14 day cooling off period and get a refund on what you have paid, less one days cover. Naughty but legal. :thumb

It’s a good plan but it’s not easy in practice to insure a car that is owned by someone else so might be a non starter.

It’s a good plan but it’s not easy in practice to insure a car that is owned by someone else so might be a non starter.

True. The usual insurance company position is that you have no insurable interest in a vehicle which is owned by someone else and insured in their name.

I did it on my brothers camper van a couple of years ago, cost me about 120 sovs for the weekend. he has since added me to his policy as a named driver at no cost.

Thanks for the replies, make sense to add me to his policy.

cheers

Check your brother in law’s policy,

most car insurance already allows you to lend your vehicle occasionally, sometimes there is a higher excess in case of a claim but the risk of an accident is minimal if you’re driving a van full of kids :thumb2

When I was added to the insurance policy of my mate's RS4 it brought his premium down :loopy

it is a quite common thing. I added my older sister to my policy and my premium dropped about 15%. Until she became a recidivist recipient of NIPs with 6 points, so I removed her. Young drivers should get their own policy to build an NCB and comply with the contract as main user but add an older driver with nil points as a secondary driver. They can get quite a saving on their four figure premium for their Ka.

Just google day insurance, loads of companies do it and it's fairly cheap, I've used them a few times when's collecting vans, bikes, cars etc, my son does it regularly if he uses my car.

I wouldn't use day insurance ever again.

I decided to scrap a car once, bought my new car and transferred the insurance so i could drive new car home..

Old one needed to go to the scrapper

I rang a day insurance place.

to go one way, 7 miles, was 30% of the cost of a years insurance ... :eek:

Never again.

Ill get the scrappy to collect it

I use Veygo to insure the mighty Micra for our learner, it's hugely expensive in comparison to an annual policy, and the car has to have it's own policy, so I suspect that might be where a third party claim could end up. There's got to be some reason why the add on policies insist on the vehicle already having a policy, and I trust insurance companies not at all.

Is it illegal or merely naughty to have two insurance policies taken out on the same car?

I’d hire a car and be done with it.

I use Veygo to insure the mighty Micra for our learner, it's hugely expensive in comparison to an annual policy, and the car has to have it's own policy, so I suspect that might be where a third party claim could end up. There's got to be some reason why the add on policies insist on the vehicle already having a policy, and I trust insurance companies not at all.

the owner's policy would cover fire & theft risk. The day policy would underwrite third party risks and if selected, accidental damage by the driver.

I have no evidence but I can imagine the theft risk for cars used in this way is higher as they are used for trips so not parked at home for most of the day and perhaps taken to city centres or holiday resorts with higher theft risk. Plus, if it isn't your car, you are less likely to give a toss if it is nicked so will park it in dodgy places.

Is it illegal or merely naughty to have two insurance policies taken out on the same car?

I’d hire a car and be done with it.

I don't think it's illegal but I would never challenge it at Court. Scenario....I sell a bike privately which was insured to me, before I can get home and cancel my insurance policy the new owner takes out a policy on the bike as they want to get out on it. Two policies would exist for the same vehicle, albeit temporarily. The danger however is that if the new owner then had a bump and insurance companies were involved and were corresponding directly between each other, if they utilised the MIB database they could process a claim to the incorrect policy, i.e.mine even though I no longer owned the bike. This would of course be entirely my fault for not cancelling the policy immediately after selling the bike. A risk I would never want to take. So I believe whilst two policies can be attributed to one vehicle, it would be very risky especially if the policies existed side by side for any significant length of time.

Back
Top Bottom