Motorrad Connected Cradle opinions please!

Fergusdog

Reaction score
Hi all. My cradle has arrived but haven’t had the chance to set it up and use it yet. Just wondering what people think of theirs so far and if there’s any does and don’t to be aware of. Cheers .

It works very well with the whirly wheel controller and integrates well with a TFT screen, if you have one.

The release catch on mine was very stiff, so I sprayed a little lubricant on the catch’s runners.

Depending on the size of your phone, you might need to take it out of any protective case that the phone lives in

The cradle does not charge the iPhone 13. See thread.

Don’t drop your phone.

The phones touch screen won’t work if you have gloves on.

Thanks mate. I’ve got an IPhone 13 Pro Max so I’ll be a bit gutted if it doesn’t charge. Good about the wheel integration though. Unfortunately mine is the 2017 normal instruments so no TFT.

It works very well with the whirly wheel controller and integrates well with a TFT screen, if you have one.

The release catch on mine was very stiff, so I sprayed a little lubricant on the catch’s runners.

Depending on the size of your phone, you might need to take it out of any protective case that the phone lives in

The cradle does not charge the iPhone 13. See thread.

Don’t drop your phone.

The phones touch screen won’t work if you have gloves on.

So….just had a fanny about with it before it started snowing. Sort of worked intermittently. Seemed better after I tightened it right in. Did work with gloves for me. Tried to find an imported route but appears you can’t do that with the wheel and have to select it before you put the phone in the cradle …..I might have got that wrong. Unfortunately when I took the phone cradle out the charging played up when I put it back in ffs.
And……..how do you get the USB to charge it. Tried it with an Optimate usb and it wouldn’t work and also when the cradle was out of the Nav mount it wouldn’t charge from a wall charger. I’m a bit flummoxed

QUOTE=Wapping;6261806]Same as me on the phone. Charging is no go.[/QUOTE]

Just been looking at the crappy guides available as can’t find a user manual online. Im now wondering re the usb issue if it means you connect a cable between the cradle and phone rather than from the bike power socket to cradle!
Heads battered but I’ll try tomorrow

I’ve only used wireless charging so far on an older X and it seems to work well. Shame if it doesn’t work with newer models. My assumption was that the USB port on the side is to connect a short USB cable to the phone to charge it, as the mount is powered through the GPS mount pins

iPhones prior to Apple’s introduction of MagSafe will charge on the cradle. The 13 fails because the cradle is not compatible with the phone’s MagSafe charging system. Whether BMW will revise future cradles to provide MagSafe charging or whether Apple will provide a fix to allow MagSafe phones to charge from non-MagSafe cradles, who knows?

I guess, simply because I haven’t tried, you could put the phone into the cradle and charge it via a Lightning cable, simply using the cradle as a support.

The only advantage of using the latest iPhones, is that they have better waterproofing properties than earlier models.

I've been using mine for the past couple of weeks.
IPhone 12 pro max.

Wireless charging doesn't work properly as has been mentioned so I bought a very short usbc to lighting cable from Amazon and now the phone charges properly.

Overall I find it much better than the Nav 6 in terms of integration and sound. The volumes on calls, navigation and music are all pretty much the same so I can set the volume on my Sena and leave it whereas with the Nav 6 I would be constantly adjusting the levels depending on source.Also music playback is far more consistent with the cradle. I found that with the Nav 6 music would just stop when a navigating instruction came from the Garmin (rather than the music volume decreasing) and then the music would start up again and run super fast to catch up!!

Navigation using the connect app has worked flawlessly so far so definitely sticking with the cradle!

[
Thanks mate. Like you I’m enjoying using mine now. My IPhone 13 Pro Max won’t fit in a cover but seems to work okay. To be honest I can’t completely tell if the wireless charging works or not as my batteries always been pretty full. I’ll try running it down then use it. Like you I bought a very short cable which works great though. I agree that the navigation is excellent and I’ve programmed a load of routes for a Wild Atlantic Way trip in a couple of weeks. The display on the phone is far superior to the Nav 6 in my opinion. Certainly for my oldish eyes. I’ll be sticking with it too

Thanks mate. QUOTE=Plasmadaddy;6285543]I've been using mine for the past couple of weeks.
IPhone 12 pro max.

Wireless charging doesn't work properly as has been mentioned so I bought a very short usbc to lighting cable from Amazon and now the phone charges properly.

Overall I find it much better than the Nav 6 in terms of integration and sound. The volumes on calls, navigation and music are all pretty much the same so I can set the volume on my Sena and leave it whereas with the Nav 6 I would be constantly adjusting the levels depending on source.Also music playback is far more consistent with the cradle. I found that with the Nav 6 music would just stop when a navigating instruction came from the Garmin (rather than the music volume decreasing) and then the music would start up again and run super fast to catch up!!

Navigation using the connect app has worked flawlessly so far so definitely sticking with the cradle![/QUOTE]

Back
Top Bottom