Backfiring through airbox

OK, new coil arrived and I have fitted it today, all good i now have a spark on both sides.
The plugs were changed when I first bought it, probably no more than 1k miles on them.
Won't start though so put battery on charge and had another look over everything. I noticed there was no resistance for the first quarter turn of the throttle. I have found the left throttle cable is not attached to the throttle body, just hanging there. I hadn't noticed this when I checked to see if all the cable outers were fully seated and had used the throttle when it was backfiring and didn't notice any slack then. Having reattached it there is now not enough slack available to allow the throttle to fully close on this side. Been over all the cables again and all appear to be fully seated (and connected)
I have also noticed this cable is beginning to fray so will get a replacement on order before I do anything else.
I have two concerns with this, firstly how did this cable become detached bearing in mind it rode in and has only had the tank lifted, nothing done on this side of the bike other than swopping the coil and if all is seated correctly how come it's now too short?
I guess I will find out why it can't be adjusted when I change it but I am confused about how it became detached in the first place.

Incidentally I will make a day of it and replace all 4 cables as it looks like such a fun job.

Finally got the replacement cables, well all but the upper cable which was supplied incorrectly, and they have made a huge difference. Granted the new coil has probably had something to do with it as well. Not as much of a job as I was led to believe.
It's now running better than at any time during my brief ownership despite not having balanced the throttle bodies yet as the gauges I used are rubbish I suspect. I will have to plug my better (guyson) gauges in, can anyone tell me if gauges will work or will I need the rod type ?

They should be good enough to get an approximate balance. I’m sure there’s someone on here down your way with a Twinmax or Harmonizer, or you can make your own with a bit of tube and some light oil - loads of threads on Advrider.

Remember - adjust valves, then sync.

Back
Top Bottom