2008 R1200GS BMSKP testing off the bike on the island of Ireland

landmarkjohn

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've got an EWS error which is starting to look like the BMSKP.

Do we have the talent and tools on this island to test/reset/repair such an item removed from the bike?

I've got an EWS error which is starting to look like the BMSKP.

Do we have the talent and tools on this island to test/reset/repair such an item removed from the bike?

..... don't even know what you are "talking" about !

BMSKP is name for ECU on R1200 and others

..... don't even know what you are "talking" about !

BMSKP is name for ECU on R1200 and others. I think some of the UK remapping companies offer a service where you can send your ECU only for remap..... so I am thinking that a similar service in Ireland may be able to say if ECU is not responding etc.

Attachments

• BMSKP.jpg
    BMSKP.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 221
Did you check the ring antenna at the ignition
Does it have an alarm fitted? You can get that warning for a dying battery in the onboard alarm system

BMS do not usually give up with out some external influence

and the EWS is the early warning system ???? (J ... was that a good guess ??)

and the EWS is the early warning system ???? (J ... was that a good guess ??)

“Elektronische Wegfahr Sperre”

basically "Electronic Immobiliser"

John Do you have a spare Key ?

Even the plastic wallet Key has a chip that will be recognised by the Central Electronics unit

Try another Key

But I suspect that you may have a break in the antenna loop

So the ECU sends a signal but the Chip never gets it to flash back its code because the antenna is fractured

OR the Rechargeable battery in the Alarm unit under the seat plastics is running done

Linky

Did you check the ring antenna at the ignition
Does it have an alarm fitted? You can get that warning for a dying battery in the onboard alarm system

Ring antenna checked and OK.
Spare key tried.

Alarm battery to be replaced next. Thank you.

This comment got me thinking, well, grasping at straws really! It all started when I tried to start the bike with the wrong key (I have 2 X nearly identical GS) and still possibly had the wrong key in close proximity to the Ring Antenna when I turned the ignition on with correct key. I'm wondering could I have confused the system..... but then you would expect this to have happened somewhere before, in a dealership maybe and be documented...

This bike has also been "Hilltopped". All that talk about software in a hidden place :rolleyes: dunno. I'm loathe to strip down my other bike and use components to test and end up with two broken bikes :D definately not before our Spain trip anyway.

Batteries replaced in the alarm, there are 2 X CR123A :blast (additional trip to Screwfix). Old batteries measured healthy enough. Alarm seems to work as in it sets and comes on when bike is moved. That said, it used to only set when FOB is pressed.

Ring Antenna has checked against known good so am ruling that out.

John Does your bike have the alarm module under the seat?

If it does it could well be the rechargeable NiCad that is dying ?

I fixed that on a couple of bikes prior to now

Yes it could have well confused the ECU BUT would have more likely produced a non start situation rather than just EWS

You could also cycle all your keys through the ignition for the ECU to see all of the approved keys

Back
Top Bottom