Cannons BMW Refused to fit the..

Budweiser

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Had my first service today at Cannons BMW. No problems on that score they were efficient, helpful and it was paid for as part of my deal with their sales team.

I asked for a price to fit the wiring for a Zumo XT (as a back up to the App Nav, which currently working fine) and they refused saying they don’t get involved with fitting electrical accessories in case it causes problems with the bikes electrical system and therefore invalidate that part of the BMW warranty :nenau

Is it normal for BMW?

Had my first service today at Cannons BMW. No problems on that score they were efficient, helpful and it was paid for as part of my deal with their sales team.

I asked for a price to fit the wiring for a Zumo XT (as a back up to the App Nav, which currently working fine) and they refused saying they don’t get involved with fitting electrical accessories in case it causes problems with the bikes electrical system and therefore invalidate that part of the BMW warranty :nenau

Is it normal for BMW?

I cannot blame them
Non (BMW approved)accessories should be a no go area

Can you not use your phone as a backup Sat Nav ? That's what I have done. I use the tom tom app and it works well.

Non (BMW approved)accessories should be a no go area

It is a 12 volt cable with a small 5v stepdown adapter that get plugged into an auxiliary socket that is provided by BMW as an optional.
It is not a set of lighter pistons and modified camshaft.

I understand dealers want to shield themselves legally, I wouldn't go and ask them to do exotic things on a bike, but it is getting a bit ridiculous to be honest. We're talking about fitting a GPS unit to a bike that is designed to travel.

Fear culture FFS, you have two options connect the XT cabling to a BMW adaptor or run in the Zumo cable under the tank panels and fit directly to the battery terminals, the Zumo cables should have an inline fuse.

Don’t disagree but isn’t a Zumo basically what BMW fit anyway?

Not the XT though, it’s a Garmin version
BMW main dealers are within their rights not to fit non BMW genuine parts and accessories in their workshops
When I bought my Tenere from a solus Yamaha dealer
I asked them To supply & fit Oxford heated grips
They refused

It is a 12 volt cable with a small 5v stepdown adapter that get plugged into an auxiliary socket that is provided by BMW as an optional.

I understand dealers want to shield themselves legally, I wouldn't go and ask them to do exotic things on a bike, but it is getting a bit ridiculous to be honest. We're talking about fitting a GPS unit to a bike that is designed to travel.

The dealer’s choice to refuse, though
I have had it happen to me

Is it normal for BMW?

I don't touch the bike with the exception of pumping air in the tyres and filling it with fuel. I have had a few accessories fitted (Sat Nav Wiring, Innov Camera, Tracker, Headlight Guard, Givi Power lead, Rocky Creek Power lead) and the dealer have been fine to fit them doing an exceptional job at that.

If it’s an RT with tft. There is no aux socket plug like on the pre tft bikes

No criticism of Cannons meant or intended, I totally agree it’s their right to refuse if they wish.

There are a number of options to have this done by an indie etc. just seems odd to me a dealer won’t do what must be a simple job to them. Is the BMW electrical system that fragile :nenau

If it’s an RT with tft. There is no aux socket plug like on the pre tft bikes

I stand corrected.

I agree with Johnny and, again, I understand the point of view of the dealer. Don't agree with it, but understand.
I had similar experiences with my local dealers over the years.

It's just that I'm noticing increasing "inflexibility" and, in my experience, dealing with them has become more of "parts swapping" and a very bureaucratic matter rather than going to your mechanic.
My experience with the official dealer network in the past wasn't this strict. But times change.

I guess extended warranties and leasing of most bikes brought us this.

Last year I serviced my HP2 Sport at a BMW dealer.
They called me asking to bring in the K&N cleaning kit "because it is not an original part" and if I wanted it done I should have provided them with the cleaning spray and oil. It also sounded like it was a favour that they were touching a non original air filter.

The HP2 came with the K&N filter as standard. :)
Also, with nearly 700 quid for a service, you can send a runner to buy the cleaning kit to the closest parts store and bill me for it so I don't have to cross all of London again to bring it over.

I stand corrected.

I agree with Johnny and, again, I understand the point of view of the dealer. Don't agree with it, but understand.
I had similar experiences with my local dealers over the years.

It's just that I'm noticing increasing "inflexibility" and, in my experience, dealing with them has become more of "parts swapping" and a very bureaucratic matter rather than going to your mechanic.
My experience with the official dealer network in the past wasn't this strict. But times change.

I guess extended warranties and leasing of most bikes brought us this.

Last year I serviced my HP2 Sport at a BMW dealer.
They called me asking to bring in the K&N cleaning kit "because it is not an original part" and if I wanted it done I should have provided them with the cleaning spray and oil. It also sounded like it was a favour that they were touching a non original air filter.

The HP2 came with the K&N filter as standard. :)
Also, with nearly 700 quid for a service, you can send a runner to buy the cleaning kit to the closest parts store and bill me for it so I don't have to cross all of London again to bring it over.

Agree with all that
Used to be flexible, in the past
Not so much in 2022

No criticism of Cannons meant or intended, I totally agree it’s their right to refuse if they wish.

There are a number of options to have this done by an indie etc. just seems odd to me a dealer won’t do what must be a simple job to them. Is the BMW electrical system that fragile :nenau

You need to understand the difference between a dealer and an OEM

As others have said , its all to do with risk and ownership

Honda fitted all my electrical gubbins, including lights, aux power and sat nav. I gave them a bag full of wires and they did a cracking job. Not asked BMW to do anything like that though. Agree in principal but if you do it privately, they are not going to void a warranty claim. So maybe that's over that though..

Honda fitted all my electrical gubbins, including lights, aux power and sat nav. I gave them a bag full of wires and they did a cracking job. Not asked BMW to do anything like that though. Agree in principal but if you do it privately, they are not going to void a warranty claim. So maybe that's over that though..

A Honda franchise? That's up to the franchise owner. Its not Honda doing it

chiswick honda. Same place that sold me the AT I didn't like. Not sure it's a franchise..? fitted before collection of my bike. I stripped it all off my GS and handed the gubbins over.

How much were you prepared to pay for them to fit the wiring? I don't know if they have some cunning means of running the cables, but I did my own (powered from an EzCAN fitted under the panel beneath the rear rack, don't like having lots of cables connected to the battery, even if using the "jump start" pole) on my 2021 RT. To do a neat job with cables nicely routed to my satisfaction involved a fair bit of panel removal and re-assembly. I would expect them to be quicker than me, but even so I suspect they would think it more trouble than it is worth unless they charged you an arm at least.
The EzCAN also powers my INNOV K3 cameras (run cables for those at the same time as the XT !) and provides an external SAE connector for heated clothing or other gubbins.

A good learning experience regarding panel removal as well - what's not to like? ;)

I recently did this on my africa twin, which was an exercise in panel removal but was worth it. Took a few hours because I was very cautious not to break any tabs off etc. I think on the GS things would perhaps come apart easier as overall the bodywork is less complex?

I spliced in a couple of bullet connects to the 12v socket inside the fairing panel. The 12v socket has 5" of wiring then a connector, and can be had for £25 on rugged roads, so I spliced into that rationalising that at worst it was a £25 job to return it to how it was. Advantage is that it's a switched live too which I would definitely recommend.

I recently did this on my africa twin, which was an exercise in panel removal but was worth it. Took a few hours because I was very cautious not to break any tabs off etc. I think on the GS things would perhaps come apart easier as overall the bodywork is less complex?

I spliced in a couple of bullet connects to the 12v socket inside the fairing panel. The 12v socket has 5" of wiring then a connector, and can be had for £25 on rugged roads, so I spliced into that rationalising that at worst it was a £25 job to return it to how it was. Advantage is that it's a switched live too which I would definitely recommend.

He doesn't have a GS, he posted in the RT section, so has a new RT me thinks

Back
Top Bottom