Normandy and Arras

kwallace21

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Any suggestions for bike friendly accommodation in Normandy near the beaches etc and also up in the First World War area? Arras, lille etc.
Thanks in advance.

You could try Adrian at Normandy Beach B&B in Arromanche

Free beer in the courtyard fridge !!!!!

Mad as a box of frogs he is but the place is ok although last i was there i thought he was getting a bit pricey

https://goo.gl/maps/1nhAZirapAxv6MPc7 - Logis Hôtel le Clos du Montvinage Rest. Auberge Val de l'Oise near Etraupont, between St Quentin and the Ardennes on the Belgian border. Great restaurant. Very small village, not much else there.

If you want something busier, have a look at Hotel Florence in St Quentin. Decent parking. Sq Q has a huge war memorial alongside the river and a pleasant town centre with loads of bars and restaurants.

If you want cheap, the Ibis Budget near the St Q war memorial has good parking and is in a suburb about a mile from the centre of town. Plenty of eateries nearby. I would use this for an overnight stop but less inclined to stay several nights.

If you want to stay somewhere somewhat eccentric, try Main Street Hotel, Ypres.

https://main-street-hotel-ypres.booked.net

Each room is themed, we stayed in the L'Atelier room.

I wandered down to the basement late at night. There was an old fashioned dentist chair in the middle off the floor, with the original Star Trek playing rather loud.

If you want to "do" WW1, I suggest you do it over a few visits. There's an awful lot to see! Initially, focus on the Ypres Salient and get this as a guide.

For somewhere to stay, I suggest https://www.talbothouse.be/en/bb/home. The atmosphere there really can't be bettered.

Finish your trip with a visit to the Menin Gate and the Last Post ceremony. And I do mean finish. Don't go anywhere near it until you've learned a bit about what's being commemorated.

I did a wander with Wapping a few years back. Great winding roads from calais to Arras and back. I think we stayed in the Ibis in Arras. More than decent and good value from what I recall. I have the routes saved (as I am sure does Wapping). Send me your email address I'll ping them over tomorrow sometime. Will save you lots of time. We also did a few cemetries and a famous wall/arch. Menin Gate?

Indeed we did, staying at the Ibis Centre in Arras. On street parking, so take a lock.

The OPs question related to Normandy, so presumably Ypres/WW1 was not his interest for this trip.

Personally I’d look to stay somewhere inland, not Bayeaux, avoiding the places that inflate prices for tourists, if you want basic there are loads of chains such as Ibis/Mercure all have reasonable accommodation and better food than the U.K. equivalent.

If you are prepared to go as far as Alencon the Mercure has a fantastic Michelin star restaurant in the car park.

……Normandy near the beaches etc and also up in the First World War area? Arras, lille etc

He sneaked in two for the price of one.

….the Mercure has a fantastic Michelin star restaurant in the car park

cca8b019d614cf41e00f64fbc23f3318.png

Avec ketchup, monsieur?

Hotel Moderne in Arras was near the centre with dedicated bike parking outside the hotel front door.

Any suggestions for bike friendly accommodation in Normandy near the beaches etc and also up in the First World War area? Arras, lille etc.
Thanks in advance.

I have stayed here several times, when out and about on my motorbike, including with a bunch of blokes on motorcycles on a Wapping Wander.

https://en.bellevue-hotel.fr/

The Normandy coast from Honfleur to Cherbourg (about 100 miles) is littered with hotels, all catering for holiday makers. Just pick one that you like the look of, in a location that suits you. I’d emphasise the location, as you don’t want to be up to 100 miles away from where you’d really like to be each day. Here’s an example, using the Bellevue hotel:

9b745f1c6b6f8f5e6620131741cbfe61.png

It is about 60 miles from the hotel to the centre of the popular D-Day beaches as Arromanches. In other words, a 120 mile return trip. That either suits you or or it doesn’t. One thing people (many of them on this forum) forget is that the D-Day beaches (if that’s your thing) cover a huge area. They had to, as they were the landing ground for effectively three armies. In short, battlefields are huge, Stay at the ‘wrong end’ of them and you’ll maybe spend at least an hour getting there and another getting back again.

Arras likewise has a load of hotels, many of the Ibis or chain type. Again, just pick one that suits you. I have never stayed in Lille but, as a reasonably large town, it is pretty well served with hotels, anywhere from the generic chain type places, through to private establishments. Pick one that suits you.

I stayed here during my Normandy tour.
https://www.hotel-du-6-juin.com/en-GB

Nice place if a little basic, not too expensive and very handy for the village centre.
Off road parking for the bikes too.

Couple of great museums in St. Mere Eglise, and a really good militaria shop.

Fantastic advice gentlemen.
I've been to Normandy and the first world war battlefields before but needed some current recommendations.
Much appreciated.

Indeed we did, staying at the Ibis Centre in Arras. On street parking, so take a lock.
I recall being on the very same trip but sadly have mislaid the routes etc. So if you have them still I’d very much appreciate them as I’m thinking of doing the trip again.

I recall being on the very same trip but sadly have mislaid the routes etc. So if you have them still I’d very much appreciate them as I’m thinking of doing the trip again.

I’ll see what I can do, Brian.

I think they might be on my old laptop though, which went to heaven a while ago.

PM your email address and I’ll see what I can put together for you.

Richard

I’ll see what I can do, Brian.

I think they might be on my old laptop though, which went to heaven a while ago.

PM your email address and I’ll see what I can put together for you.

Richard

e mailed them last Sunday Brian...

Back
Top Bottom