Engine splutters on hard acceleration

It's always bloody coils....

With every old GS that comes into my shop with running problems, I pretty much refuse to start pulling apart things that customers have read on forums until all four coils have been swapped out.

All four coils can be replaced for the same cost as having a tech scratch his head (and arse) for two hours looking at things which are highly unlikely to have failed.

76k miles original coils and on the 3rd fuel pump, I wish it was always coils as running an AFR of 18 to 1 is not healthy for the exhaust valves.

Mine too were the COILS !!!!!!!

My 1200GS 2006 with EXACTLY the same issue also turned out to be a faulty coil.
I had replaced all four with two new lower coils and two top coils from a friend. (used but I was assured were working)
I was about to start looking at the fuel pump etc. but decided to check the upper coils (Just to rule them out)
I ordered two new upper coils and the bike is now up and running again.
Turned out that one of the used coils was faulty.

Thanks again to all who offered advice on this issue.

I have had the same problem and today I cured it.
Bought second hand spark coils and fitted 3.
I could have bought 4 but reason suggests that it is easy to isolate the problem with just 3. Like a table is stable with 3 legs but not 4!
As the lower two are handed left and right, they are not interchangeable. So buying 2 is not likely to be a solution. Well it's 50%.
I tested the resistance on the bad coils and the new good coils and it is the same. I had 8 ohm.
So there is no point in testing the resistance across the outer pins, 1 and 3. Its a waste of time.
Just buy some coils.

So I fitted 3 second-hand coils and all is well.

My thanks to everyone for their input.

My 2007 1200GS was subject to a recall about 5 or 6 years ago for fuel pump related issues.

Check yours has been done, you might a free new pump, I did!
HI there. I had the flange fix done a few years back, and now the pump is leaking. I have been told its a new pump, in the USA, its a recall, but in the UK no such recall has been announced. (https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=20V471)

Whoops, fat fingered the reply ! So my question is, how did you get the garage to replace the pump at no charge ?
BMW wrote to me and said take it to a dealer for a check. IIRC 2 types of pump flanges were used, metal ones=OK, plastic ones prone to cracking so the whole lot was replaced.
Contact a dealer to see if yours has been done.

Back
Top Bottom