New Firmware for Zumo XT

Mine has apparently update itself while on the bike and attached to the Optimate. Just went to look and sure enough, version 6.40.

What changes?

file.php

from https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1720

Thanks wessie.
I'll wait a few weeks before any update, just to be on the safe side.

Mine has apparently update itself while on the bike

I was avoiding the update because I read about the issue with the XT freezing/rebooting when tapping on the "..." button in map view.
The other day I left my Zumo on in my backpack after parking the bike and looks like it updated automatically (via the phone) either in the backpack or when on the bike...

Now I'm stuck with the "..." freezing issue. FFS. Have to reset it all.

I had to go into town the other day (just off Regent St), when I got to Knightsbridge, the screen went haywire.
It suddenly started to show a page called: "where am I?"
I've NEVER even accessed that page-don't know how to, not only that, I hurriedly navigated back to my route, but a second later it took me back to that page again.
Then the display started jumping all over the place when my finger got near the screen, in the end, I shut it down as I actually knew more or less where I had to go.
I wish I hadn't done the update now. So people, what should I now do and how do I do it?
Thanks in advance.

Now I'm stuck with the "..." freezing issue. FFS. Have to reset it all.[/QUOTE]
What is that issue?

If you go on map view, click the three dots button on the bottom right, the Zumo freezes for a while then reboots.

A factory reset + another round of updates apparently solves this. Another quality Garmin software release.

I had to go into town the other day (just off Regent St), when I got to Knightsbridge, the screen went haywire.
It suddenly started to show a page called: "where am I?"

Used the Zumo recently for a few short trips within and around London and seemed ok. But it was A to B navigation.
Gonna use it a while in May with several tracks and routes. Hope it doesn't give me grief like last year in Wales. Otherwise it will be goodbye time. Probably it won't. I'll be optimistic.

I'm not able to perform the reset (turn it on while pressing lower right corner).
I think this might be because the touch screen is all over the place after the update.

Is there any other procedures to reset the XT?

If you go on map view, click the three dots button on the bottom right, the Zumo freezes for a while then reboots.

Mine, after the latest updates, behave perfectly normally when I click the three dots.

That pound of butter in the fridge is wonderful.

I'm not able to perform the reset (turn it on while pressing lower right corner).
I think this might be because the touch screen is all over the place after the update.

Is there any other procedures to reset the XT?

I don’t think so and nothing I can find on the internet. I tried the older Garmin method of holding the speed cell on the map page and then holding the semi-circular speed part on the summary page but that didn’t work.

The only thing I can find will, I think, only erase the data and re-set the settings back to the ones set by the factory.

Home Screen > Settings > Scroll down > Device > Scroll down > Reset

My guess is that there might be one, just as there is with earlier devices, but it’s hidden somewhere.

Home Screen > Settings > Scroll down > Device > Scroll down > Reset

This is what I've done.

Reset the XT.
Try the map and the three dots button, works.
Reinstate my backup: three dots button freezes/resets the unit.

So, Reset the XT and connect to Garmin Express.

- started the update, tells me it will have to restart. Ok
- XT updated, restarted, reconnected to Garmin Express. Garmin Express does nothing, and I cannot exit the update procedure.
- disconnect the XT, it restarts, all ok
- I try to reinstate the backups from Garmin Express, it shows me the progress window, tells me backup has been reinstated on the XT
- disconnect the XT, power it up again: backup is not there.

I'm hard resetting it again and trying the (broken) upgrade procedure again.

So I did backup all my data and settings because I wanted to keep everything "as is".

Did the first update, via the botched upgrade procedure.
When reinstating the backup, the "three dots bug" was there already.

Repeated the procedure – getting stuck in the middle screen here a few times:

zumo-update-01.png

Tried a couple of times, but Express wouldn't pick up the Zumo after restart. Had to force it close, and restart the upgrade procedure.
After the third time I just ignore Express and continued the update procedure directly one the unit.

When all (seemed) done, I wanted to reinstate my backup, in order to get all my settings back, but it wouldn't work.
Took me a while to realise that...

Everytime I repeated the upgrade procedure because of the botched process with Explore... this option was ticked (active):
zumo-update-02.png

"Always back up favorites before performing updates"

So, everytime I was restarting a botched upgrade, Explore was re-backing up the Zumo.

Little did I know that Explore only saves the last three backups, so it completely deleted my original backup at the beginning of this ordeal.
So every time I was trying to reinstate the backup... it was reinstating the backup made 2 minutes before of the unit after the hard reset (my original proper backup was before 10am).

zumo-update-03.png

Fuck you Garmin.
Don't push automatic upgrades if your upgrades are full of fucking bugs.
Also: fucking check that the fucking recovery procedure fucking works, since your fucking process gets the user fucking stuck and, surprise, Explore has fucking bugs as well.

And for fuck's sake get a proper fucking QA department. You fucking useless twats. :D

Peace and love.
Now I'll go, have to re-do all the settings on the Zumo, and red-ownload all the data I need from Basecamp.

Back
Top Bottom