S10 Flash..

mspenz

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Don't bother !

I had my Gen1 flashed by Wizz.. twice..it was a very slight improvement over standard but there was still the horrible snatchy on / off throttle at low rpm !
Roundabouts, junctions, city and traffic filtering required constant clutch input to eliminate the ' bucking ' :(

Anyway.. I eventually made contact with Chris at http://www.cjsracing.co.uk and we had a good chat.
So, I sent my ECU down, and..I genuinely cannot even describe the difference :D
For those of us who have / had an 1150gs, then that's the smooth low rpm roll on / off type of fuelling that I now have !!

I love the S10 but the Horrible snatchy on / off throttle at low revs is a deal breaker for me.

Seems that all of the off the shelf flashes are via Tune ECU , however that does not deal with the initial throttle response unfortunately .

And here comes the catch..
Their flash is a copy from an S10 which has been on the Dyno ( at a cost of around £600 ), so it will depend on your own bike's configuration as to whether or not it will be of a benefit.
I honestly really cannot explain just how much smoother ( and easier ) my bike now is to ride..GS like low smooth :cool:

As a guide :

Generation 1 bike with 28k miles.
Generation 2 pistons and clutch basket.
Valves set towards loose limit.
Standard headers but with air sensors blanked off.
350MM Delkevic slip on.
Standard air filter.

I was the guinea pig, as in, I was the first to try a map from a S10 which had been through the Dyno.

Many factors to take into account :

Valve clearances.
TB Balance.
TPS.
APS.
Compression.
Air box.
Complete exhaust system.

I might have been lucky but this has completely transformed my bike :D

Nice when something just “ works out “
I had one of these for a while ( bought from Bryn of this parish ) 14 plate low mileage minter at the time
And I have to say Mike ,it didn’t have the snatchy throttle issue at all ,a very well mannered thing it was .
But I do know what you mean as I bought a Tiger 995 new and I was never able to get it sorted out which was a pity as it was quite nice thing to ride aside from the low speed snatching/ hunting .

2013 Gen 1 S10. Completely standard. Yes snatchy, rather unpleasant and difficult in town. Alwasy switching between modes.

One trip to Geoff at Hilltop and the problem was history, the bike lived in Sport mode from then on. Better on fuel as a bonus.

As I have been very happy with the results from two bikes I've taken there my current bike will be booked in after the 3,000 mile service and check-over.

I had mine flashed and dynoed, 2014 ZE, back in 14. It made a great difference indeed .

Denis

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I was the guinea pig, as in, I was the first to try a map from a S10 which had been through the Dyno.

Many factors to take into account :

Valve clearances.
TB Balance.
TPS.
APS.
Compression.
Air box.
Complete exhaust system.

I might have been lucky but this has completely transformed my bike :D
Chris did my XT1200 on the dyno back in August. All I wanted was smoothness and he certainly did that. I can ride it round town without any surging etc. Filtering down the middle of traffic jams is now a gear higher activity and I ride it in the high power mode all the time as the throttle is so precise. My bike was totally standard.

Chris did my XT1200 on the dyno back in August. All I wanted was smoothness and he certainly did that. I can ride it round town without any surging etc. Filtering down the middle of traffic jams is now a gear higher activity and I ride it in the high power mode all the time as the throttle is so precise. My bike was totally standard.

This is exactly what I have now and it's a different bike to me !

The 1st generation bikes were notorious for the snatchy throttle but every bike is different.
Can't recommend Chris highly enough :thumb2

This is exactly what I have now and it's a different bike to me !

The 1st generation bikes were notorious for the snatchy throttle but every bike is different.
Can't recommend Chris highly enough :thumb2

Always good to get a personal recommendation. Chris is one of the few people who has had consistently good reports.

All interesting and helpful stuff...having just bought a rather nice 2011 S10 with 19,000 miles and full service history. It joins my 1250GSA in the garage in an effort to keep that mileage below 8,000 a year.

The S10 took the place of my KTM1190 which had the notorious cold start issue of whenever the temperate was below +4C (about 30% of the year in Aberdeenshire!) it required 20 minutes of a directed space heater to make it even think about firing.

Having picked the S10 up from from Saltire in Edinburgh I headed west and put nearly 600 miles under its wheels in the first couple of days. I really enjoyed it, but thought the throttle response in 'T' mode was slow and snatchy. In 'S' mode things smoothed out considerably, although not GSA silkyness. Unfortunately got home to discover one blown fork seal, and the other showing signs of misting on the fork. Give Saltire their due...they sent a man in a van to collect the bike for repair (6hr. + round trip) and will deliver back next week.

Anyway...I'll put a few more miles on the S10 over the next few weeks and definitely think about the recommendations in this thread.

All interesting and helpful stuff...having just bought a rather nice 2011 S10 with 19,000 miles and full service history. It joins my 1250GSA in the garage in an effort to keep that mileage below 8,000 a year.

The S10 took the place of my KTM1190 which had the notorious cold start issue of whenever the temperate was below +4C (about 30% of the year in Aberdeenshire!) it required 20 minutes of a directed space heater to make it even think about firing.

Having picked the S10 up from from Saltire in Edinburgh I headed west and put nearly 600 miles under its wheels in the first couple of days. I really enjoyed it, but thought the throttle response in 'T' mode was slow and snatchy. In 'S' mode things smoothed out considerably, although not GSA silkyness. Unfortunately got home to discover one blown fork seal, and the other showing signs of misting on the fork. Give Saltire their due...they sent a man in a van to collect the bike for repair (6hr. + round trip) and will deliver back next week.

Anyway...I'll put a few more miles on the S10 over the next few weeks and definitely think about the recommendations in this thread.

That's good service from Saltire :thumb2
If it's not too late ask them to upgrade the front springs, definitely worth considering if you intend to ride fully loaded and with a pillion. I fitted Hyperpro springs front and rear and the difference is huge when loaded up..these bikes are under sprung !

If your bike doesn't suffer from the snatchy throttle at low rpm then it may already have been flashed as most Gen 1 bikes seem to suffer from this.

Very underrated bikes :thumb

That's good service from Saltire :thumb2
If it's not too late ask them to upgrade the front springs, definitely worth considering if you intend to ride fully loaded and with a pillion. I fitted Hyperpro springs front and rear and the difference is huge when loaded up..these bikes are under sprung !

Thanks mspenz
The bike is due to to go through their workshop on Wednesday, so I'll discuss the front spring upgrade with them before that.

My 2020 Gen 2 S10 had the Wiz flash done by teh first owner and I have to say the snatchy throttle is still pretty bad.

Everything has been set up perfectly but in sports mode it's pretty bad around town and at low revs. I normally ride in tour mode where it's not so bad.

I spoke to Grant at Wiz he confirmed it had been done and he suggested that it was maybe just a bad one and he'd do it again for free. It's a decent thing to do for sure but I think I'll contact Chris at CJS to see what he can offer.

My mate that put me onto the S10 had his 16 plate done and found it made little difference. He reckons theres more improvement to be had by setting up the throttle balance. He had a wee accident which required a new ecu (drilled a hole in it somehow!!), new ecu not flashed and again hasn’t noticed any difference by going back to standard. His is on 75k miles too, so he kinda knows his stuff about them. So I’m still undecided, will try playing with the balance first i reckon.

My mate that put me onto the S10 had his 16 plate done and found it made little difference. He reckons theres more improvement to be had by setting up the throttle balance. He had a wee accident which required a new ecu (drilled a hole in it somehow!!), new ecu not flashed and again hasn’t noticed any difference by going back to standard. His is on 75k miles too, so he kinda knows his stuff about them. So I’m still undecided, will try playing with the balance first i reckon.

I think that is the key. I've been told by a couple of owners the factory set up and the way the dealers do it, isn't accurate enough.

My 2020 Gen 2 S10 had the Wiz flash done by teh first owner and I have to say the snatchy throttle is still pretty bad.

Everything has been set up perfectly but in sports mode it's pretty bad around town and at low revs. I normally ride in tour mode where it's not so bad.

I spoke to Grant at Wiz he confirmed it had been done and he suggested that it was maybe just a bad one and he'd do it again for free. It's a decent thing to do for sure but I think I'll contact Chris at CJS to see what he can offer.

In some set ups the Tune ECU flash can't remove the on/off fuelling, it takes a Dyno mapping to sort it out.
If you are close enough to Chris it might be worth booking in for a proper tune up.

I had borrowed a very expensive balancing device from a mate who owns a garage, synched the throttle bodies to perfection..,still the same snatch problem.

I can't comment on the Get 2 bikes but the flash from Chris has transformed my Gen 1 , I now never ride in anything other than sport and that covers all 2 up touring and any gravel tracks .

In some set ups the Tune ECU flash can't remove the on/off fuelling, it takes a Dyno mapping to sort it out.
If you are close enough to Chris it might be worth booking in for a proper tune up.

I had borrowed a very expensive balancing device from a mate who owns a garage, synched the throttle bodies to perfection..,still the same snatch problem.

I can't comment on the Get 2 bikes but the flash from Chris has transformed my Gen 1 , I now never ride in anything other than sport and that covers all 2 up touring and any gravel tracks .

I'm trying to get hold of him..........not easy.

I'm trying to get hold of him..........not easy.

Yeah, he's very busy but normally replies to a text within a few days..also might be having a few days off for the holiday weekend so he might not have the work mobile switched on as I found last time I tried to make contact, but he will reply :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom