New 1200 Rally or Explorer test ride

Does it still feels like it has the mass of a small moon when trying to haul it off the side stand? I had a 2014 1200 Explorer which had a peachy smooth motor ideally suited to road but it scared me half to death the one time I took it off road. Way too top heavy. Ridiculously top heavy feeling when loaded up for a tour. In fact the last tour on the Tiger was all the convincing I needed to chop it in for a GSA. The Tiger imho was the better road bike overall and had more than enough grunt but slow speed work, especially hairpin work was fraught at the best of times. I lost all confidence in it because of its slow speed handling, as it was just too damned top heavy. This is where the GS excelled by comparison. If I bought another adventure bike it would have to be the 1290 SAR. Gruntier feeling than the GS or Trumpet, lighter handling and more fun as well as the better off road option but the new Triumph seemed to do well when James hillier gave it a thrashing off road on a course devised to compare with the GS, KTM and Multistrada. I suspect very few will be used in anger like that though.

After 3 GSA’s on the trot I decided it was time for a change and got the 2023 RE (big fuel tank, longer travel). I fully agree with James H and the MCN boys take on the Triumph. It’s deceptive in its speed and handling. Only when really pressing on does the 21” wheel become a consideration, but at low speed, once you get used to the fueling it’s fine. I find rain mode is smother than any other setting for low speed manoeuvre twinned with the newly released 20mm drop on the suspension makes for a better experience. Pushing the bike around and on and off the centre stand I find the RP much much easier than the GSA even though the weight is higher than the GSA.

I’m enjoying the RP and will be happy for a few years with it. I suspect it will not hold its value too well against the others, maybe better than a KTM though. Overall if I could have one bike for the rest of my days and that’s it, I think I would end up back on a GSA. Doesn’t excel in any particular area anymore but the sum of its parts is impressive.

So I rode the GT Pro and really liked it!
More nimble than a GS, better braking, and sharper handling. It feels lighter on the road (to me) than a GS.
Felt like a GS at usual revs (2500-6000) but after 6000 revs takes off like an XR!
I thought it was like the love child of a GS and an XR ;)
A few things made me think about swapping from the GS:
* I prefer the more agile handling
* Longer service intervals
* Better brakes (Brembo Stylema)
* I prefererred how the keyless works
* Better dealer network (my BMW dealerships are awful arrogant places)
* backlit switchgear
BMW:
* much better luggage options
* cheaper "B" service
* more fuel range I believe
* prefer the wonderwheel to Triumph's "joystick"

To be fair, if I was choosing between a GS and a Tiger, it would be VERY DIFFICULT, there's so little between them - pro's and con's on both sides...

I’ve two friends on tigers , one GT Pro the other with an GT Explorer, they both love them. I’ve had brief rides on their bikes but as I’m considering changing my GS I thought I’d get a proper test ride on the Tiger.
I rode a GT Explorer for about 2 hours.

First impression I got was the bars seemed a closer made, me feel a little cramped at first, but I soon got used to it. Overall this is a comfortable bike.
I felt more “in” the bike on the Explorer than when I rode my mates GT Pro which I felt “on”.
Gearbox is a lot lighter and more precise than the GS. The quickshifter in most ways is better than the GS however one thing I did notice was it felt slower to change.

When using under harder acceleration you definitely felt a gap between changes, a sort moment of no drive and deceleration before it re engaged, just a split second but noticeable. This may have been the demo bike as I’d not noticed this on either of my friends bikes.

Once I got on the open road the Triumph felt lighter to flick around, a bit more sporty I guess. I’m not sure I’d say it handles better but it felt like less effort on the twisties.

Wind protection at higher speed seemed to be ok, probably a touch better than the standard screen on the BMW but I use an MRA screen on my bike which is better for me than the stock Triumph item.

Looks are subjective so no point in commenting on that, build quality I’d say about same as GS, some bits better, some bits not.

The TFT seemed a bit fussy to me, I’ve always like clearer more function controls on my displays. There’s more options on Triumph dash but seemed a bit overly complicated. I’m guessing if you owned the bike you’d get it set how you like and leave it alone.

Cold day for a test ride, heated grips and seat not a good as GS.

Engine, this was the major reason I wanted to get a good long ride on this bike.
I’ve ridden the previous Tiger a few times and very nearly bought one when they first came out. Only thing that put me off was a massive recall they had on the cylinder heads and the way a mate was left without a bike for many weeks.
I loved the engine on the previous bike. Silky smooth, plenty of power.

This new T plane crank engine is very different. It’s a very “mechanical” feeling engine, you feel it though everything. It’s not terrible you’re just aware that this in a machine. Some may call it character?

Cruising at motorway speed there’s a little vibration through the bars and pegs but I don’t think it’d really be an issue, it does become more pronounced under acceleration, if you’re in a higher gear it’s even more noticeable. I made a few overtakes from around 50 , on the BM in 5 or even 6th the bike would pull cleaning and get past easily, try that on the Triumph and it felt unpleasant, chuggy and harsh however, drop it down a couple of gears and it flys!

And there’s the biggest difference for me in these two bikes. The Tiger just doesn’t feel to have the grunt the GS does, you have to work it a bit harder to get it to go but when you do it’s the quicker bike. But I think this maybe an issue, whilst it is engaging and fast I don’t think it’s a particularly nice engine to work. I prefer a smoother engine in my cars and bikes.

Triumph have made a big deal about the T plane crank and it giving you more tractable power off-road. Maybe it does but let’s be realistic, most of us don’t take our GS, Tigers, KTMs, Multistradas off road. I think Triumph have made a mistake with this engine, for me at leat they’ve taken away the best thing about the old model.
It’s a good bike, it’s very close to the GS. If the option of another GS isn’t available or doesn’t pan out for me I’d probably get the Tiger and I’m sure I’d enjoy it but as it stands I prefer the GS.
However if they’d kept that smooth triple feel, I reckon I’d have signed yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom