New 1200 Rally or Explorer test ride

Nope, just sat on them at a bike show

Look a lot better in the flesh than in pics, very nice actually

I’m not sure about the T-Plane motor, I guess that’s a major reason for your question?

900 T Plane motor is very nice..... torquey low down.... plenty of character.... if the 12 is the same but with more grunt it'll be a cracker...

Quite a few complaints about vibration of the 900 engine on the Tiger 800/900 Facebook group. Mostly from people who traded up from the super smooth 800.

80+... I never got that fast...mine was a back road spin... Not many roads you can do 80 on.

Quite a few complaints about vibration of the 900 engine on the Tiger 800/900 Facebook group. Mostly from people who traded up from the super smooth 800.

I’ve run Triumph triples since 1995 and have owned a Tiger 1200 since 2013 along with an assortment of Trophy 1200’s and I’d be very concerned about messing up a nicely balanced 120 degree triple. I’d need some convincing…

(Wow - 7 years since my last post!)

not quite the same but i took the 1200 GT pro out yesterday.

some of the positives for me were:

it handles very nicely is easy to throw about and great around around the twisties, with a nice balanced planted feel to it.

i didn't like the lack of low end torque, especially when pulling away. nor did i like the vibration, it just didn't feel smooth to me when at a steady speed.

a little buzzy for me but that may just be me (have a 1150gs) and possibly not used to fly by wire throttles.

sometimes it felt a bit snatchy coming off/on throttle

when in sports mode at a steady speed the bike was hunting a bit fine when giving it the beans.

i guess possibly some of that may be down to the adaptive throttle and may improve with regular riding.

not a bad ride, but didn't set my pants on fire.

From other thread

I took out a new 1200 GT Pro for 2 1/2 hours this morning and did a good 100 miles or so.

Thoughts ?

Looks nicely screwed together.

4900791d1807d3595961b4f850fdd0f9.jpg

4c7da76f374b5c6f6233c2178a9112ca.jpg

1e142f0258fef1d17f91da433b0f6adc.jpg

Great TFT with easy navigable menu using a joystick

9469bda12a747614057a486b146db3cc.jpg

d72037139d8e305843ce18deada69e38.jpg

4a2db97f5d869257123d74049c25a7ac.jpg

It’s immediately very comfortable.The seat is brilliant as is the screen.
On high position it was very good at providing protection whilst still giving a small amount of cleanish air around/over the body.
On low, the airflow was directed at upper chest,which is fine in my opinion.

High

0402f03b44277afc45c505706a836e25.jpg

Low

2188354f372fca01cb6fd63d6ab21d13.jpg

The screen is adjustable one handed on the fly.

The engine ?

Well…..it’s certainly not lacking in power.The T-plane crank with it’s uneven firing order puts out something like 148bhp and 130Nm of torque.
It does sound a bit odd.It’s certainly lacking that lovely triple growl of previous models, yet it doesn’t have the grunt of a twin.
Sitting at 60 mph in 6th is about 3500 revs and 70mph is 4200 revs.
Redline is 9500.The bike flies from about 5500 revs but that means you need to knock it down a couple of cogs for a decent overtake, unlike something like a KTM 1290 which has instant grunt.It’s also lacking in much engine braking.

The throttle, which must be fly by wire is also a tad odd.It doesn’t have any play like a Multi V4 but feels a bit disconnected at low revs.Also, at a standstill, if you let the clutch out towards biting point then the revs increase.Feels odd but may well be a design feature to aid a quick getaway.

Indicators are quite clever in that a short press enables 3 flashes before self-cancelling and a long press gives about 8.

Quick shifter was good. Not as good as on my 1290R but ok.The gearbox was a tad notchy though.

I averaged 48mpg over my short ride.

Heated grips have three stages but even on high could barely be felt.

Heated seat wasn’t working !!!

Handling was good but it’s missing that low c of g tip in feeling that is so prominent on the latest KTMs and obviously a GS trait.

Good points

Great seat/riding position/comfort
Easily adjustable and useful screen
Shaft drive
Back lit switch gear
Good TFT

Bad points

Needs revs to ….er….make progress :)
Heated grips are weak
Heated seat was fucked !!!
Low down fuelling.

Overall thoughts ?

I was slightly underwhelmed.
Comparing it to my 2021 KTM 1290R, it’s not as powerful or grunty, the handling is nowhere near as sure footed and you need to get it above 5500 revs to really get a shift on.

It’s lacking the grunt and engine braking of a twin but the 1-3-2 firing order masks it being a triple, even if it provides more grip and stability.

I’m sure it’ll sell well and is a good bike if you must have shaft drive.

But ,IMHO, the latest 1290 is streets ahead, and I’ve only ridden the SAR !!!

0fdf631fe5de925349e1dfd00f006807.jpg

So it's damn close to being as good as a bike that first came out in 2013. Having test ridden previous Tiger 1200s being the best one so far isn't exactly a high bar to clear but fair play to them for producing something that will help keep BMW on their toes, at least until the 1300 arrives. Then we'll have a more realistic idea of where it stands mid to long term.

Test ride

Bloody hell how nice is the Rallye Explorer :thumb2

Test ride booked :eek:

20 year GS/A rider.

TD

I have to agree with Arsey on his assessment. I would say that both the 900 and 1200 will spend 99% of there time on tarmac for most U.K. buyers….yet all the hype is about the firing order and the traction it delivers for off road riding. In doing so they have ruined the one USP that they did have which was the triple turbine smoothness and howl.

I was disappointed in the 1200 and think the 900 is a better bike….the suspension on the Pro proving well sorted normal suspension is as good as if not better than all this electronic suspension shit. The 900 would have my money tomorrow BUT at motorway cruising speeds the vibration is just too much for me…so I need to look elsewhere…..so very annoying.

I would say that both the 900 and 1200 will spend 99% of there time on tarmac for most U.K. buyers….yet all the hype is about the firing order and the traction it delivers for off road riding. In doing so they have ruined the one USP that they did have which was the triple turbine smoothness and howl.

This is all you need to know :thumb2

IMO Triumph have really fucked up with this T-Plane crank malarkey

By all means stick it in the Rally version but leave the road biased GT versions alone :blast

I am inclined to agree. They should have left the engine alone.

Back
Top Bottom