2009 XR1200?

Clifton

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I see a 2009 XR1200 with 4,400 miles, in excellent condition, completely stock, for sale. Yes I prefer the later XR1200X but I seldom run across them and they command even more money. Any of you have, have had, or even ridden one? Some negatives I see are lack of aftermarket stuff, limited fuel capacity, and the plastic tank is prone to swelling. But supposedly they run and handle maybe better than most any other Harley and I like the looks.
Motorcycle prices are probably not comparable between here and the UK but the individual is asking $7,800, as are others in similar condition with up to 20,000 miles on them. Think a nice XR1200 that's well cared for might hold value or will these end up as orphans in the future?

I see a 2009 XR1200 with 4,400 miles, in excellent condition, completely stock, for sale. Yes I prefer the later XR1200X but I seldom run across them and they command even more money. Any of you have, have had, or even ridden one? Some negatives I see are lack of aftermarket stuff, limited fuel capacity, and the plastic tank is prone to swelling. But supposedly they run and handle maybe better than most any other Harley and I like the looks.
Motorcycle prices are probably not comparable between here and the UK but the individual is asking $7,800, as are others in similar condition with up to 20,000 miles on them. Think a nice XR1200 that's well cared for might hold value or will these end up as orphans in the future?

You only come by this place once, if you want it have it, everything else is of no matter.

Very true, Att. But I'm trying to determine if I want one enough to buy the thing, and if I do will I enjoy it? Also will it hold value, or at least not depreciate too much? Or is this model at peak price now and likely to drop?

Very true, Att. But I'm trying to determine if I want one enough to buy the thing, and if I do will I enjoy it? Also will it hold value, or at least not depreciate too much? Or is this model at peak price now and likely to drop?

Too many conditions on something that should bring you joy, life is never guaranteed, so inanimate objects of metal propelled by fire will have no guarantee of anything, it is subject to your expectations and perceptions...If you don`t like it, recycle it back into something that will...This is life.

You're right I could don't like it I can sell the thing and probably not loose much, other than $480 registration and a couple months insurance which might amount to $50. I quite enjoyed a 2000 Buell Cyclone I had, it was comfortable, ran and handled well, and sounded wonderful, sometimes I miss that bike. Could one of these could be a replacement? I don't know.......

These bikes are popular here… and few years back they could be had for under £5k…. Not now … most are reaching £7-8k

This 2009 one in my local dealer is in nice condition but the price is just over £8k… so not much different to when it was new 13 years ago.

Attachments

• BD2F3F13-BBF8-4EB6-A82B-C3A9C1DAB640.jpg
    BD2F3F13-BBF8-4EB6-A82B-C3A9C1DAB640.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 247
Clutch cable badly fitted, missing the pulley cover..

What else lurks beneath…..

Had a 2008 one several years ago. Very characterful bike, lots of grunt, lots of presence, comfortable too. It’s a naked so wind can be a problem at 70 plus but you buy it knowing that. Smallish tank, nice simple instruments, as I remember around 90hp?
Buy it. You only live once.

Good observation about the missing pulley cover and clutch cable. Maybe at some point a PO had higher bars requiring a longer cable which was left after fitting back the original bars?

Thanks for your impression, Akulaking. I have sent an enquiry, it's hard for me to get enthusiastic about buying now given the high prices. And yesterday was tax deadline here so I had to send a lot (for me) in for them to waste, so the checking account is somewhat depleted at the moment, but we'll see.........

Good observation about the missing pulley cover and clutch cable. Maybe at some point a PO had higher bars requiring a longer cable which was left after fitting back the original bars?

Thanks for your impression, Akulaking. I have sent an enquiry, it's hard for me to get enthusiastic about buying now given the high prices. And yesterday was tax deadline here so I had to send a lot (for me) in for them to waste, so the checking account is somewhat depleted at the moment, but we'll see.........

Well don`t buy the fucking thing then...Jesus fucking christ on a fucking bike, it`s like pulling fucking teeth...Tell you what, buy it, ship it to me and I will tell you how good it is, it will be shit compared to my 2002 X1 Lightning, but I can still tell you how good it is, even if it is shit.

You guys need another 9/11.

Well don`t buy the fucking thing then...Jesus fucking christ on a fucking bike, it`s like pulling fucking teeth...Tell you what, buy it, ship it to me and I will tell you how good it is, it will be shit compared to my 2002 X1 Lightning, but I can still tell you how good it is, even if it is shit.

You guys need another 9/11.

It’s getting late in the evening.

Time for another vino fuelled vent. :D

If I was to buy a Harley it would be one of these. I suspect that they are different enough, and good looking enough, to become one of the most desirable used models.

If they appeal to Harley fans and non Harley fans, there must be something about them.

It’s getting late in the evening.

Time for another vino fuelled vent. :D

LOL I would be disappointed if Att DIDN'T spout off.

If I was to buy a Harley it would be one of these. I suspect that they are different enough, and good looking enough, to become one of the most desirable used models.

If they appeal to Harley fans and non Harley fans, there must be something about them.

I kind of think that as well. Actually they might appeal more to non-Harley riders. Here's a problem though, NADA book value here is Low Retail $4,800, High Retail $6,300. Yet everyone I see listed on Cycletrader, at dealers, CR, etc., they're asking $8,500-$10,000. I know NADA can be slow to adjust but these bikes are priced out there at 20-30% over right now.

It's got to be around five/six years ago that I was looking to buy one. What I found interesting was that EVERY single bike for sale was low mileage. A quick squint at ebay tells me that most of the bikes for sale today are still low mileage, make of that what you will.

The MK11 may well be a better bike but I wanted a MK1 in orange. Research threw up that there was a problem with the fuel tanks (the actual tank is under the orange cover). Apparently the tank swelled up due to the fuel of the day preventing the cover from fitting properly. God knows what happens with the latest fuel.

I had a classic (for me) hummm/hahhh session and decided not to buy one. My aforementioned squint at ebay has thrown up a couple of MK1/orange/low mileage beauties and they STILL look so bloody :cool: :cool: :cool:

Here we go again....:blast

It's got to be around five/six years ago that I was looking to buy one. What I found interesting was that EVERY single bike for sale was low mileage. A quick squint at ebay tells me that most of the bikes for sale today are still low mileage, make of that what you will.

The MK11 may well be a better bike but I wanted a MK1 in orange. Research threw up that there was a problem with the fuel tanks (the actual tank is under the orange cover). Apparently the tank swelled up due to the fuel of the day preventing the cover from fitting properly. God knows what happens with the latest fuel.

I had a classic (for me) hummm/hahhh session and decided not to buy one. My aforementioned squint at ebay has thrown up a couple of MK1/orange/low mileage beauties and they STILL look so bloody :cool: :cool: :cool:

Here we go again....:blast

A Butterfly flapping it`s wings on the other side of the Atlantic can indeed affect a man in Yorkshire:thumb:D

A Butterfly flapping it`s wings on the other side of the Atlantic can indeed affect a man in Yorkshire:thumb:D

Especially a Red Admiral.

Back
Top Bottom