Switzerland - Five day tour

Wapping

Reaction score
The latest edition of Motorrad & Reisen (110) has a nice five day tour of Switzerland.

35bd7399eaa1bfc84f58fb7b7c108cb9.png

The GPX files for each of the individual five days download really well from the magazine’s web page for a very modest EUR 2 or just use the perfectly good map to carve your own version.

2aa2e5250f4625082841600605ba21ac.png

About 500 miles, looks like a 3 day tour to me ;-)

We always average over 30 MPH in the mountains (although often barely) so 3 days of 5 hours riding, over 5 days we would be at the next Hotel by lunchtime!

Still by the time you get there and back on a nice route it would be a weeks tour, or add a few more days and spend a bit of time to do the Stelvio and some other good stuff.

The article was definitely geared towards bimblers, flower pressers and bods who just want a very easy time. That being said, it’s not a bad route to ride, taking as much (or as little) time as anyone likes.

PS You hate the Stelvio :D

:beerjug:

The end of day 4 takes you up the Gottard and mentions the Tremola. You should definitely from the top continue on down to Airola on it and back up as well. It is the original cobbled route completed in 1832. Don't let cobbles put you off, they are in good condition. It is a fantastic piece of engineering. The way they constructed the hairpins by building massive stone walls has to be seen. All done by hand, picks and shovels and mason's skills. Read about it on Wikipedia.

The end of day 4 takes you up the Gottard and mentions the Tremola. You should definitely from the top continue on down to Airola on it and back up as well. It is the original cobbled route completed in 1832. Don't let cobbles put you off, they are in good condition. It is a fantastic piece of engineering. The way they constructed the hairpins by building massive stone walls has to be seen. All done by hand, picks and shovels and mason's skills. Read about it on Wikipedia.
I intend to visit the St Gotthard Pass this September, to commemorate a family anniversary. Would you have any recommendations for Accomodation in that area please?

I intend to visit the St Gotthard Pass this September, to commemorate a family anniversary. Would you have any recommendations for Accomodation in that area please?

If your question is for digger 37, I’m afraid you’ve missed him.

Google lists no less than 354 hotels. Live vicariously and pick one.

IMG_4164.jpg

Andermatt makes a great base for a Swiss adventure...there are 3 fantastic passes just out your hotel's front door: Furka, Grimsell and Susten...

Rinse and repeat.

This year went up and down the Tremola .Fantastic road
Missed it on a 2005 tour .

Back
Top Bottom