Suggestions please

Doc

Let's Av It
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,
Traveling down from Rotterdam to Rencural France which is appprox 650 miles and looking on suggestions where we might stay maybe half way on our trip to get there please.
Dont mind going off the route or adding a few miles on.

Cheers Doc

Attachments

• 20220502_143455.jpg
    20220502_143455.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 232
Make an adventure out of it - just bung a tarp up at the side of the road!

Rotterdam to Rencurel is 1,000 km or 625 miles. Spread evenly over two days that is 310 miles per day. You haven’t told us which route you have chosen, so (just for now) I’ll go for Troyes or Nancy, either of which are roughly halfway.

Both are big towns / small cities, so there are plenty of hotels to chose from in each.

Fine tuning thereafter is possible, depending on which direction you’ve taken and / or which road(s) you have been hooning down. The example given of Chaumont is close’ish to Troyes. So anywhere in the Troyes / Chatillon sur Seine / Bar sur Aube triangle might work for you. Similarly, anywhere on the axis Pont a Mousson / Nancy would maybe work, too.

Your turn now.

Probably take the easiest route to get down there as we have three nights at Rencural. Then we intend to work our way up to the black forest. Maybe Geneva and go up from there.
I will certainly have a look at the half way suggestions though thanks.

Easiest route is the motorway, which I’d guessed you’d take.

Chop the distance in two. Then zoom in a bit around the halfway point and look at the place names. Then pump one or two into something like Booking.com or Tripadvisor, along with the date of your overnight stay. The hotels will pop-up, along with B&B type establishments and Air B&B’s. Chose the one that suits you best. It’s fun and it’s quite easy.

PS France has embraced Google street view, so you can even take a virtual stroll around.

I would go further down than Half way doc , You will be fresh the boat at 8am,so will be able to get a move on. As you know if you are travelling on a Sunday, there will be no HGVs on the motorway, and if you are on the RT, this will eat miles up. I would be looking at getting a good 400 odd miles in ,so for day 2 you can have a quick look around where ever you do stay, and still arrive at your next destination in good time

Easiest route is the motorway, which I’d guessed you’d take.

Chop the distance in two. Then zoom in a bit around the halfway point and look at the place names. Then pump one or two into something like Booking.com or Tripadvisor, along with the date of your overnight stay. The hotels will pop-up, along with B&B type establishments and Air B&B’s. Chose the one that suits you best. It’s fun and it’s quite easy.

PS France has embraced Google street view, so you can even take a virtual stroll around.

Will do.

I would go further down than Half way doc , You will be fresh the boat at 8am,so will be able to get a move on. As you know if you are travelling on a Sunday, there will be no HGVs on the motorway, and if you are on the RT, this will eat miles up. I would be looking at getting a good 400 odd miles in ,so for day 2 you can have a quick look around where ever you do stay, and still arrive at your next destination in good time

It's Jayne I have to think about on the back.
The Boss ;)

Good man. Let us know what you decide on, please.

It's Jayne I have to think about on the back.
The Boss ;)

Time taken, distances and the type of road(s) ridden between A and B or A to D via B and C are a personal thing, dictated by individual circumstances on the day. The rider could, if they felt like it, ride from Rotterdam to Rencurel in a day. Or the rider could take two, three or more days riding anything from motorways to N roads, to D roads to every goat track they can find. Some bods (apparently) NEVER take a motorway; some (quite a lot, I suspect) do. Some bugger around, pressing wild flowers (aka ‘bimbling’) and some never leave before 10 AM. Some crack on, from dawn to dusk.

For example, I am going Rencurel to the top of the Morvan in one day. I’m am though taking the motorway past Lyon to say, Macon, as I want to spend more time in the Morvan. I am then going from the top of the Morvan, via D roads, to Verdun. I just want to go via Verdun, to spend a day off the bike there. Then from Verdun to Calais, via D roads, to spend the night on the coast before going back to London. No sane person would go Morvan > Verdun > Calais, normally. Deere still, would stay in Cap Gris Nez.

There is no perfect way to do anything. Just do whatever suits you best.

That being said, whilst there is no perfect way, there are some ways requested on these pages that are totally impractical. These usually start “Me and my five mates, we need to go to Marseille, avoiding motorways and we’ve got two hours to do it, starting from Cherbourg or maybe York we don’t know yet, ‘cos my mate’s dog is ill and his sister is having a baby on Tuesday…..”

Looks like you have a plan….

61430aef60c4cc2b553509c0e11557e6.png

change of plan for our first stopover. Now going here https://www.logishotels.com/fr/hotel/logis-relais-de-vincey-286?partid=1535
And a better route from Rotterdam. Rest of the trip is booked as we didnt want to get caught out if all the places had no rooms.
From Rencural up through Geneva to the Black Forest as Jayne wanted to re visit and then to Cochem as last time we went she fainted on a walk split her head open and spent a few days in hospital so i did not get chance to show her the area. Not good especially when on the bike.

Attachments

• 20220504_071354.jpg
    20220504_071354.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 130
Good idea and not far from Nancy, roughly halfway.

One tip, do not go through Nancy, as it can be a nightmare. Take the motorway around the city.

Good idea and nit far from Nancy, roughly halfway.

One tip, do not go through Nancy, as it can be a nightmare. Take the motorway around the city.

Ok cheers. I am looking for a route round there now.

The A31 south, becomes the A33, running around the city’s west side.

Ok thanks.
I just need to do a chart now like someone did on here. Miles per day. mpg, stops, Average speed ect.;)

It wasn’t me, that’s for sure. It’s akin to keeping a spreadsheet of miles per gallon, as some do, allied to knowing the price of fuel to six decimal places.

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...-autistic-etc-OR-AM-I?highlight=+spreadsheet+

I do though vaguely remember the post and thread in question.

The hotel definitely looks OK.

PS I do though confess to keeping a definite note of the mileage when I change the front and year tyres on my 1600….. do not gamble that they will do over 4,400 and change front and rear together.

Good idea and not far from Nancy, roughly halfway.

Even the autoroute that bypasses the city can get quite congested if you hit it at the wrong time but at least you will be moving, last time we used it we ended up having to do some filtering for a few miles, at least the French motorists are friendly to us bikermates!

Indeed. The good thing about French payage is that the sections that ring or bypass a city are often toll free. Some Michelin maps mark the payage barriers, so you can pick your point of entry, to save a few pence…. And time…. And sweating / swearing in the hot sun or pouring rain.

Back
Top Bottom